Meta Knight is officially banned in North America!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Schlupi, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    [​IMG]

For those who play Brawl, this may or may not be a surprise. It's been in debate for years now. Players of the game Super Smash Bros. Brawl Have argued and fought about this since the games release day one, and Smashboards have finally declared Meta Knight as a banned character for all standard tournaments, starting on January 9th, 2012. He has been deemed unfit and unfair to play due to his insane power, speed, recovery, and many other reasons. To those who don't know, Smashboards is the leading site in Smash Bros discussion and are joined with AllisBrawl in a large Smash Bros community. To those who see it as unjust they can still hold "Meta Knight friendly" tournaments, but they lose recognition with the Smash Bros. Unity Ruleset Committee starting January 9th. Also note that this is the first time ever that a character has been banned in the Super Smash Bros. Series. So to all those Meta Knight haters out there, you finally have an official reason to bar him from your own personal tourneys.[/p]

[​IMG]Source
    [​IMG]Meta Knight character profile on Brawl Wiki

Is it fair to those who do play as this character? To those who play, is he really that imbalanced that he should be banned? Do you think Nintendo should bother including him in the next two iterations of Smash Bros.? Tell us what you think.[/p]

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Wrong section dude. I'll move it to an appropriate section after this post.

Also, welcome to Brawl, where everything's overpowered and the points don't matter. The entire game is about unbalanced characters. The competitive scene for it is pretty much a joke. It's a party game, not a fighting game. Not to say it's a bad game by any means, but people who try to deem it a "serious fighter" really need to understand how fighting games work.

EDIT: For the record I played the crap out of Brawl. I still don't consider it a fighter.

3. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    I personally don't see it the same way; it contains similar elements to any other "real" fighting game and not all the characters are overpowered. If you wanna talk about overpowered and imbalanced, just play ANY Marvel Vs Capcom game. [​IMG]

And if you play the crap out of Brawl, why do I not have your Friend Code? [​IMG] PM it to me if you wanna play sometime, and I'll give you mine.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Not like this means they have to abstain from including him in later versions. Fox plays differently in the first and second games, changes can be made to characters and engines while not removing them.

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    and with that
    not a single f*ck was given

also lol @ brawl tournaments
    it ranks right up in there dbz game tournaments

6. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I don't care. I never use Meta Knight.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    MvC3 is terribly unbalanced but I still find myself able to play with most characters with moderate success. At parties, my friends and I just do random all just so we can keep it fair. Sometimes you get a shit hand, sometimes you don't. Still, it's a fighting game. Brawl isn't.

Also, Brawl's characters are terribly unbalanced. It wasn't developed to be "balanced" and "tournament quality", it was developed to be a fun party game accessible by anyone.

People don't have my Brawl Friend Code because it has terrible online. I played it maybe 5 times with friends and we stopped because it's really bad.

8. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    I thought they have banned Sonic because he's too fast for the naked-eye. Now they have offically bad a kirby character for being 'imbalanced'? Really since when did an option to banned these characters has become an issue in the first place?! SSBM never stop anyone from playing because of it being imbalance, really these tournaments are getting more stupider by the minute!

9. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    Who do you main as? Have you PLAYED a good Meta Knight player? It doesn't matter if he's from Kirby... he's pretty imbalanced regardless.

10. Geren

Member Geren GBAtemp Regular

El Salvador
    This is good because of one thing: Fresh air.

Seriously, the brawl competitive community has been stale for quite some time no. Top matches were about MK vs. Mk. and that wasn't entertaining.

Hopefully this will revitalize the game bit [​IMG]

Many people don't care about competitive brawl, but the game has enough mechanics and balance to keep itself as a favourite. It's not melee, but it's good enough.

EDIT: for those who don't see the point for this, remember this is about a COMPETITIVE community.

11. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan

This.

12. 1234turtles

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i love playing as metaknight not that this matters to me, tournament players suck fun out of smash brothers.

13. TyRaNtM

Member TyRaNtM I did some projects..

Chile
    I found funny that games fansites "have the rights" to ban characters.
    Is the same as Smogon with Pokémon, that they say what is ok and what not.

14. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    It's because every game supposedly needs some sort of regulation for organized play. If I could play you with a full team of six Wobbufetts, you'd probably be pissed. [​IMG]

I agree with it to some extent. It's not like you're being FORCED to play under their rules anyways. I usually abide by Smogon's rules for Pokemon because they are thorough, explained, and fair. If you don't like them banning things then sure, just don't expect to play competitively any time soon.

And to anybody who doesn't take Brawl seriously, go back and Call of Duty: Black Ops and Marvel Vs Capcom and try to tell me how "important" "fair" and "serious" they are. [​IMG]

@1234Turtles: I have played Smash Bros since the very first one when I was like, 6 (came out in January right before I was 7). I Always loved this series and I find that competition keeps it alive for me to play. I LOVE a good challenge. As a side note, anybody who wants to play feel free to shoot me a friend code. [​IMG]

15. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I agree. I played Brawl for a bit, and lost interest because all my friends who played it, only used Meta Knight. I moved back to Melee which I can play competitively. I see Brawl as a "casual" fighter versus Melee which is the tournament grade stuff.

I still won't play brawl because of shit like prat falling, and "Bump Jumping".

16. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    I'm certainly not a tournament-level Brawl player nor will I ever (try to) be, but I do have my fun playing as Meta Knight with friends... no one complains.
    But I've heard talk about MK being imba before, so if the majority of the community comes to a conclusion... guess it really is.

This... isn't allowed? [​IMG]

I apologize as I don't follow Pokemon tournaments and supposed rules and such.

17. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Good riddance.

I loved Melee but never got too much into Brawl because of how unbalanced the game is. I just hope they don't mess the one for 3DS/U up.

18. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    First of all, Wobby as all five team members... if you play competitively and smart, you are promised at LEAST one kill with em. If you can get two kills in on those first 5 pokemon (with Destiny Bond, it's an easy feat) you'll get that second one you need and just Destiny Bond and make your opponent Struggle to Death on fear. It's not even fun at that point. Wynaut is also banned for the same reasons (moreover, they are "Uber" tier, and are banned from all but Uber play).

More info on Wobby here, they can explain it well:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/wobbuffet

But yeah, a lot of testing goes into these sort of things, you know.

19. TyRaNtM

Member TyRaNtM I did some projects..

Chile
    Well, a site that says that Wobbuffet is uber because Shadow Tag ability is using rights that they don't have.
    Even with a rival of full Wobbuffet you can win.

Yeah, the things need regulation, but you can't force to don't use something.
    They can advice, but not force to ban things, Nintendo has the rights to ban something, like ubers and special legendaries as Mew, Celebi, etc..

But in this case, banning Meta Knight because is "cheap", i found that is very absurd, all characters have their pros and cons, and all are beatable.

20. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    I'd have to agree. I stomp MK in tournaments with Ness (LOW TIER) and others all the time. I don't play mind to the list unless it's to make fun of it. [​IMG]