BBBcoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

So, I got my Wii a few years after it came out, I softmoded the thing. I had homebrew channel and it ran pretty much everything I sent at her when it came to homebrew. I was running my backups in ripped DVDs and also through USB Drives, worked perfectly for the intended purposes. I remember I followed some guide, backed up the NAND but sadly I lost track of the file.

I moved country, my GameCube console was left at my parents and so did my games (if you ever consider moving country and taking consoles with you, you can imagine that carrying your whole collection with you is not that practical, unfortunately). A couple of (probably 5) years after the initial softmod, I went back for it with the purpose of making it run GameCube games as well. Since I bought some controllers for the really often smash sessions with my roomies and I was really craving that nostalgia feel for TLOZ:Wind Waker, going back to get my copy wasn't really an option, I decided to try it out. Well, it didn't turned out that well, I think I ended up messing it for some reason but managed to fix it, I tried to softmod it again and ended up messing it up a lot more, fixed it again, and just basically chicken'd out of the whole cause and decided to go with legit copies, I think I updated its OFW and grabbed a second copy of smash not to cut the mood in the flat.

Two years passed by and the Wii ended up having no use at all. Today I decided to know if its possible to mod it again (if possible, running GC games as well). I don't want to go through the risk of following a guide without some diagnose, but I have no idea what to start. It's been a long time since I'm in the Wii modding scene, so I'll probably need to learn everything since the start. And this is where your help will be really important.

Thank you for taking your time, and thanks for all the help that you could provide beforehand.
Cheers

EDIT#1: The use I'm giving my Wii for the past years was pretty much the use any unmoded Wii would get. Rocked every legit game I own. I didn't messed with softmodding since then. The SD Card probably has some files in it, I didn't saw them but I can definitively provide a directory print screen.

Last edited by BBBcoon,

BBBcoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you @jeannotte,

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows computer. I was googling and I saw no mac support for HackMii. No alternatives?
Also, it's not that my hack is not up to date, but more like I forgot in which state is my mod, if it is there at all (as I said, I ended up making an OFW update as the last step). I want to be super cautious with this, since affording other Wii is not an option for me at the moment.

Thank you for the gamecube games resource as well, I will look into it when hopefully it'll be hacked :).

BBBcoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be glad if you could send me the links, because everything that I can find in regards of a Mac OS and Linux version for HackMii was the version 7.0.0 and 7.0.1 that was basically an April Fools joke.

Again, thank you for your support.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would be glad if you could send me the links, because everything that I can find in regards of a Mac OS and Linux version for HackMii was the version 7.0.0 and 7.0.1 that was basically an April Fools joke.

Again, thank you for your support.
You mean ModMii does not support Mac/Linux. The HackMii installer runs on the Wii not on your computer and does not care for your operating system.

How about these two ideas:
  • Ask a friend with a Windows computer.
  • Set up a virtual machine with Windows. Can sometimes get handy.
As much as I personally dislike Windows and only use Linux, for such cases I always have a fallback solution in VirtualBox.

BBBcoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@KleinesSinchen
Surely, but the ModMii is an actual solution?
Shouldn't I test the console first to see what is actually there before I do some more mumbo jumbo on it?

I'm sending bellow a screenshot of the contents of the memory card. Should I try to boot the console with any button combination and see what it shows up? (like, power+reset, maybe?)

boot.elf
\private
__\wii
_____\APP
_________\RSBP
______________\al
________________al_150505_2028.bin
________________ ... more al_150505_xxxx.bin files
______________\st
________________st_150609_1409.bin
________________st_150609_2213.bin
_____\title
_________\aktn
______________content.bin
_________loc.bak
_________loc.dat
__installer.log

(for some reason, forum doesn't allow me to post pictures, sorry)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@KleinesSinchen
Surely, but the ModMii is an actual solution?
Shouldn't I test the console first to see what is actually there before I do some more mumbo jumbo on it?

I'm sending bellow a screenshot of the contents of the memory card. Should I try to boot the console with any button combination and see what it shows up? (like, power+reset, maybe?)

(for some reason, forum doesn't allow me to post pictures, sorry)
  • ModMii is capable of updating outdated softmods.
  • Holding reset while booting will open Priiloder if it is installed.
  • Lost NAND-backup is not good. The Wii is working now, so write a new backup as soon as possible.
Some questions:
  • Do you still have the Homebrew Channel installed?
  • If HB-channel is there, have you run a SysCheck already?
Post any further questions about ModMii and SysCheck results in the ModMii support thread @jeannotte linked to.

As to the pictures:
New members may not post links or pictures (spam protection). If a spambot successfully creates an account, it will try to place nonsense links immediately – and not send some meaningful posts before. After about 10 posts you’re allowed to link and upload pictures.

BBBcoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good morning! Thank you for your support.

I tried the RESET+POWER combo but nothing happens, the console boots normally. No homebrew channel either, so I'm out of options.

Assuming this, the only possibility is try to hack it through ModMii and pray for the best, right? First things to do, is to go for a NAND-backup and run a Syscheck. I know the diagnose is vague, but can you give me some forecast of the risk involved? Its a possibility to try and sell this Wii for a person who just intends to play it as an official system, and try to buy a new one second hand, the last thing I wanted to do was throw it out for the trash. I also do understand that everything I do in the console is under my responsibility. The OFW is 4.1E.

Also, thanks for the insight on the missing feature of posting pictures. Makes a lot of sense.
Thanks again!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good morning! Thank you for your support.
Assuming this, the only possibility is try to hack it through ModMii and pray for the best, right? First things to do, is to go for a NAND-backup and run a Syscheck. I know the diagnose is vague, but can you give me some forecast of the risk involved? The OFW is 4.1E.Thanks again!

I'm not really an expert for the Wii (seriously) and forecasting is something for those people with magic crystal balls. But: There is not a great risk if you strictly do, what ModMiis's wizard tells you to do.

As a starting point you need to install HBC and bootmii (in boot2 if possible and as IOS). Most likely through the Wilbrand exploit. The guide ModMii creates for you should tell you to do a NAND-backup very soon.

There a some big "no-nos" I know about:
  • If your Wii is Korean model and was region changed it will brick if you update the official firmware (Error #003).
  • Do no install custom channels (other than HBC) or custom themes if you do not have Priiloader installed and/or bootmii in boot2. (it happened no long ago. See here.
  • Do not randomly delete IOS or even the System Menu with homebrew software.

BBBcoon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again, thank you very much for the heads up and advice! I deeply appreciate it.

Well, not having a Windows PC available, I decided to look for alternative mods that run in Mac OS (and with what I've found, you can basically run it in pretty much everything that has a browser and possibility to copy data for a SD card). I updated it to OFW 4.3E (even though I had to try 3 times, an error kept popping up), letterbombed it through its website (I obviously cut the blue wire), and installed homebrew channel and BootMii as IOS. Dumped the current NAND (one bad block, I'm assuming its normal?), and will look into the SysCheck in the future.

So far it looks good, in the next days I'll post how the SysCheck turned out. Probably after that I see no problem in closing this thread.

Cheers!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't forget to install Priiloader for extra safety.
This is important. No bootmii in boot2 makes Priiloader essential.
Some "factory bad blocks" on the NAND are indeed normal. No need to worry about this.

Yes, you can do everything ModMii does yourself. But it is a lot more work and you can make mistakes. In this case loading backups from USB may fail or some other functions do not works as intended (you will not brick if you do not do plain stupid things like deleting System Menu)

Install Priiloader for now as protection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk