need help remodding my wii

kaitlin459

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a wii that i modded years ago, most of the homebrew it has is outdated among other issues. is there a way for me to factory reset the wii wipe out the softmod so i can re softmod the wii from scratch? i basically want to delete the homebrew as well as the softmod then re softmod it if so how

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, remember the Wii runs at any time 1 title and 1 IOS, everything else for the most part only occupies space on NAND, and removing existing homebrew entrypoints or CIOS just makes things potentially harder

The Modmii syscheck analyzer is nice and a quite smart choice (as is doing a syscheck first in general), but if you don't want to use that for whatever reason, just pretend your Wii is already clean and brand new and start installing the HBC, CIOS, Priiloader, etc you want, anything that overlaps will automatically be removed

kaitlin459

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good morning,

do not delete anything.

what is the wii version?

To update your softmod ==>pretend it had never been softmoded on your console.
drag and drop the syscheck report into Modmii, and it will tell you what to update.

modmii ==>
https://gbatemp.net/threads/best-wa...i-for-windows-official-support-thread.207126/

then we will guide you to delete what you no longer want

my wii is in storage i will need to dig it out this weekend sometime so theres no way for me to factory reset the wii to a blank slate and then re softmod it?
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, remember the Wii runs at any time 1 title and 1 IOS, everything else for the most part only occupies space on NAND, and removing existing homebrew entrypoints or CIOS just makes things potentially harder

The Modmii syscheck analyzer is nice and a quite smart choice (as is doing a syscheck first in general), but if you don't want to use that for whatever reason, just pretend your Wii is already clean and brand new and start installing the HBC, CIOS, Priiloader, etc you want, anything that overlaps will automatically be removed

@Ryccardo was hoping i could just format the Wii and start over from scratch you know like turn it into a factory fresh wii then re softmod it

Last edited by kaitlin459,

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You're really hoping for some instantly simple, one click solution (?).
Again, ModMii is your easiest/best friend to start your process.

It's always daunting reading & understanding procedures. It does get easier :)

Reactions: XFlak and jeannotte

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Ryccardo was hoping i could just format the Wii and start over from scratch you know like turn it into a factory fresh wii then re softmod it
A factory reset, officially but incorrecly called a format, doesn't remove any system titles (so it doesn't affect C/IOS, at most it will screw up the Wii Menu if you have Priiloader installed) and only superficially removes applications and saves (so you'll lose the HBC or equivalent, unnecessarily making it harder to get it back - quite significantly if the console is left in a state that the HackMii installer will refuse, but not start from an absolutely clean slate)

Strictly speaking you can really reformat your Wii by creating a nand backup, using ohneschwarzenegger on it to recreate the filesystem and install the base system, then restoring the backup (or using the significantly less reliable nandformatter by comex, with which I have a 0% success rate), however for the reasons explained before they are unnecessary for your purpose...

kaitlin459

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ryccardo then how do i delete all of the homebrew stuff such as nintendont usbloadergx etc?
Post automatically merged:

@Ryccardo i did a shite job when i modded my wii years ago i just wanna re mod it to freshen it up can i just overwrite my current softmod or no?

Last edited by kaitlin459,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
do i delete all of the homebrew stuff such as nintendont usbloadergx etc?
most homebrew isn't installed, just take out the sd card/usb drive (which aren't even required for operation) and they're gone, you're free to remove everything from them

an i just overwrite my current softmod or no?
You have to understand "a softmod" is not a (1) thing, the Wii is very modular and there are many ways to do something

That said YES you can just reinstall the HBC/CIOS/any homebrew you want without screwing with your Wii first, you can fire up ModMii and tell it you have an unmodified console, and the instructions coming out of it will still be correct

Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Modmii will overwrite older mods, no need to try and virginize first. Factory resetting won't remove all softmods anyway, it's not an issue to do if u want to quickly clean up mii's and gamesaves, but it will require u to repeat some extra steps to get the hbc back. Ohneschwanzenegger is a full nuclear option generally only recommended when shit is broken beyond repair or we're seeing odd inexplicable behaviour and we hope a fresh slate will allow everything to run properly

kaitlin459

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@XFlak how do i overwrite my softmod then so i can make sure the entire softmod is 100% up to date? can modmii do this or no cuz i modded my wii pre 2016 so its a tad outdated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :P