Messed up my card again -_-...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by tiduscrying, Mar 29, 2013.

Mar 29, 2013
  1. tiduscrying
    OP

Member tiduscrying that butt...

United States
    I was posting in the help forums awhile back with false claims that my R4i-SDHC (Clone of DSTT with a Red PCB, runs a modified Wood. The first iteration of the "Dual Core" carts produced by r4isdhc.com) stopped working on my DSi (1.4.3U). I later got a reply on how to fix it, as it was not broken at all, I just messed up the Kernel.

Now, I am somewhat of a noob to things like Kernel and Firmware. I understand that the Firmware is on the Micro SD and whatnot, but what I am unclear of is the Firmware. I assume that it is flashed directly to the card somehow? I don't really know. Bonus points if you can answer that for me :lol:

Anyways, I am hear to complain and yelp again (as if there is a shortage of "Halp my card iz briked" posts out there).

Let me start with a couple weeks ago. I was eager to play the English Patch of Fire Emblem 12 on my R4, so I found out that I should put a proper TTMenu on my card. So I attempted that. At first, nothing. The card was working fine with Wood, and the TTMenu booted but didn't load any of my games. So, I looked elsewhere and found the most recent version of TTMenu (I was unknowingly using an outdated version from a chinese manufacturer's website). I loaded it on the card and launched the appropriate TTMenu.nds file (I chose to "dualboot" because I still liked the Wood interface). The TTMenu launched and then I attempted to load up a game, New Super Mario Bros. The screen went white, and then the unit froze. I then restarted the system only to see my DSi tell me that there was nothing inserted in the card slot.

I have had a fright like this before, so I tried to remember what I could possibly do to fix the card. I reloaded a clean firmware from the manufacturer's site, tried booting the card on a normal DS Lite, tried the whole paper-contact trick to try to make the card touch the contacts better. All failed to make the cart show up on any system's menu.

SO, with that being said, I am assuming the card is bricked. AND, with it being a cheap Chinese clone, I don't expect too much help on getting it un-bricked, but if anyone knows how I could go about doing so, that'd be great.

If not, by all means feel free to recommend a different cart to me. Like I said above, I have a DSi 1.4.3U. Criteria that must be met is:
    • Ability to load Lameboy, NesDS, and NeoDS
    • Rather inexpensive (I'm running on a school-kid's funds)
    • Compatibility with the latest Firmwares/Kernels/whatever
    • Ability to run the Kingdom Hearts games as well as the English patch of Fire Emblem 12
    I know, I don't ask for much. Haha, realistically speaking, I don't really need you guys being supersleuths looking for all the answers to my problem here, but hey, if you know something and can suggest it, it'll be better than nothing. Thanks in advance!

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The Kernel is on the MicroSD. The Firmware installer is transferred to the MicroSD at first, but then when a firmware update is run is transfers the firmware update to the flash cart itself (a tiny amount of internal storage).

Sounds like it bricked, it happens sometimes when loading games with buggy software, it'll overwrite part of the firmware by mistake, bricking the cart. If you want to unbrick it you'll need a DS/Lite and another flashcart, but since you need another one you might as well buy a cart with actual support and use that save yourself some trouble, you know?

The DSTwo is recommended the most, but it's like $35. The r4ids.cn cart is the second recommendation, like $15 or so, and still does all the basic DS flash cart and homebrew stuff like you listed.

http://gbatemp.net/t290097-which-flash-cart-should-i-get
    Also, if it's not on that list, don't buy it.

3. tiduscrying
    OP

Member tiduscrying that butt...

United States
    Well... Could you possibly link me to the page with instructions on how to un-brick a card? I have a friend who owns an Acekard and a DS Lite, so I'm sure he could help me out.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    1 - Start the update file for your broken cart in the working one. Do not actually tell it to update yet.

2 - Take the working cart out, with the DS Lite still on.

3 - Put the broken cart in.

4 - Press A or whatever to run the update.