1. Gaming796

OP Gaming796 Gaming since 4

United States
    Ok so I want to play with a person who doesn't exactly live in the same house as me. So I setup melonDS on both our PCs. I first installed Winpcap 4.1.3 & Radmin VPN on both the PCs. I created a network in Radmin VPN and let him connect to it so that we appear as though we are in the same LAN. Next I go to the Wi-Fi settings in melonDS for both PCs and make sure that "Bind socket to any address" and "Direct mode" are enabled. Also selected Radmin VPN as the network adapter. What's next is that I open Mario Party DS and go the the Local Multiplayer menu while I instruct him to launch Download Play. Now what I had expected is that the emulators should be detected as if they're on the same LAN and Mario Party DS should pop up in his DS Download Play menu but it never does happen that way. What exactly am I missing here? Or is it that currently this sort of a VLAN setup isn't supported?

2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL
    Developer

United States
    It's apparently, not supported.

E1ite007 and banjo2 like this.
  3. banjo2

banjo2 gamer

United States
    If there's no way to use DLP, I think you could try multi-card. I don't know though, I've only used MelonDS once, not at all for multiplayer.

4. catlover007

catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    first of all you're mixing up local wireless and online multiplayer emulation. Direct mode and pcap are all only related to online multiplayer (as in when the servers were up you used the Nintendo Wifi Connection) and pretty much obsolete with the improved indirect mode in melonDS 0.9.

Though the game you're trying to play only supports local wireless multiplayer, which unfortunately has super strict latency requirements which just can't be fulfilled if you route the traffic over the internet.

5. Gaming796

OP Gaming796 Gaming since 4

United States
    Ok long story short, not supported right? Will it ever be?

6. catlover007

catlover007 Developer
    Developer

Germany
    unfortunately yes, unless sub 8ms ping becomes common place (which might be hard because of the laws physics…). There are some crazy ideas to come around this limitation, but local wireless isn't even that stable if both instances run on the same computer, so that's far in the future.

Coto and Gaming796 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - multiplayer, (melonDS), needed