"Mega Man Mania" fan project aims to colorize the entirety of the Mega Man Game Boy entries

The Blue Bomber has now passed 36 years since its inception, with the original title being released on December 17th, 1987, and it's close to celebrating its 37th anniversary this year.

Among the many anniversary celebrations Mega Man had over the years, there's one in particular which never saw the light of day. While the Mega Man Anniversary Collection saw an official release for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and Nintendo Gamecube back in 2004, there's one collection for the GBA that never saw the light of the day and was supposed to be released alongside the main console collection, with this particular one being a collection of all the Mega Man Game Boy titles packed into one GBA cartridge, with some new features added, as well as all of them being colorized to some extend.

The GBA collection was originally titled "Mega Man Mania", and that's the title which many fans have used since then to refer to the cancelled anniversary project.

Today, after 20 years since Mega Man Mania got cancelled, a community of very talented Mega Man fans have taken it upon themselves to create their own colorized version of all the Game Boy titles of the Blue Bomber, and the fan project has taken the title of "Mega Man Mania", as the original release was known initially.

Featuring a brand new trailer, veteran romhacker MarcMax showcased the already existing GB DX hacks, with the very first being Mega Man World 5 DX, which MarcMax worked on some years ago alongside kensuyjin, and the very first Mega Man World having a DX version right now as well by Specialagentape.

But that's not all the trailer showcases, as Marc also shows the upcoming GB Mega Man titles that are getting the DX treatments as well, and this includes all of the other remaining GB Mega Man titles, these being Mega Man World 2 DX (by Specialagentape), Mega Man World 3 (by MarcMax and kensuyjin) and closing the trailer up with the announcement of Mega Man World 4, covering the entire release of Mega Man World games on the Game Boy with brand new fan-made DX versions, as the original Mega Man Mania would have. Marc even hints at a possible GBA collection-like release that features all of the DX titles packed into one, just like the original Mega Man Mania would have done so many years ago!

Those interested can try out the already released DX romhacks for both Mega Man World 1 and 5 over at Romhacking.net, and be sure to keep a close eye on MarcMax's YouTube Channel for any upcoming announcements for the rest of the Mega Man World DX romhacks!

:arrow: MarcMax's YouTube Channel
:arrow: Mega Man World 5 DX romhack at Romhacking.net
:arrow: Mega Man World: Wily's Revenge DX romhack at Romhacking.net

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
here we fucking go ahead these guys just never learn! this is 100% getting DMCA and this is WHY
so he might as well quit now and stop all production otherwise...
dmcado.jpg

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
here we fucking go ahead these guys just never learn! this is 100% getting DMCA and this is WHY
dmcado.jpg
Dude this is Capcom's IP, not Nintendo's.
Nintendo can go fuck themselves for all I care for sure, but at least with Capcom we do have some leeway (I hope)

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how Enker, who was one of the more interesting original characters from the GB series, was canonically that washed out green/gray OG gameboy screen color, so his updated sprite just looks the same lol.

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dmcado.jpg
You just don't stop with your hard-headed attitude, do you?

Anyways, yeah I've seen this on X and I do hope to see it finished one day. My favorites so far are 5, 3 and soon 4 as well.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, and I've mentioned his tweet in my GB to GBC thread, too!

Last edited by SDA,
  • Haha
Reactions: ChronoTrig

Robert Newbie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember when Mega Man Mania was in development and quietly cancelled. It's not like Capcom to axe such a public project (during that era), so I'm guessing the Nintendo DS' release influenced their decision.

Capcom POST-GameCube is a different story. Under Keiji Inafune. I can think of two big cancellations off the top of my head (both Mega Man): Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Legends 3.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would have been great if they release this when it's actually ready as oppose to announcing it. This is just to ensure they don't run into any possible C&D/DMCA.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Makes me wonder why they started with Mega Man 5...
Post automatically merged:

Nice.

There are several colorized GB games (I just think of them as GBC titles) and they look great. :)
WarioLand 1 needs to be redone by someone else... The colorization it got is awful, has very harsh colors, and they don't even fit well in most of the spots.

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cool, we have twins in the chat
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yep, GBAtemp is working on the site again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pms are still acting up
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Pm ing uremum still works, she said key under the mat, and half off til midnight
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks like your pmsing is working
    +1
  • TechieSaru tempBOT:
    TechieSaru has joined the room.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, triplets
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chats like the only thing working lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And uremum
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's good to hear I'll have a better inheritance now
    +2
  • xdarkmario @ xdarkmario:
    main page is saying An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later. maintenance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn Ken, the camp director is the werewolf, my mind is blown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He transitioned
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @xdarkmario, sorry about that bigonya shat himself and made the servers die
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I wouldn't go in there for bout 15-20 minutes. I did light a candle atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's what blew them up
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Radioactive Florida Man!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Florida man is just active he thinks radios are cases for his meth
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Most, if not, all of TekkitRealm's videos are fake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your message is fake
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Fake news!!!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    This whole chat room is fake! Everyone is a bot but you. Ha ha, big reveal.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: This whole chat room is fake! Everyone is a bot but you. Ha ha, big reveal.