Hacking Mega Man Legends 2 Official PS1 Classic on PSP

Chris_Highwind

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in case you didn't know, today the final game in the Mega Man Legends franchise was released on Playstation Network for $10. Unfortunately, it can not be played on the Vita, perhaps due to complaints about how Legends 1 ran poorly on the console. (EDIT: After the Mega Man twitter said something about rechecking the Vita store, I checked my download list, and what do you know, there's a big ol' Download button where there wasn't one before) However, it can be transferred to the PSP and played there. I've decided to do just that and document how it runs. Currently I am up to Forbidden Island, and here's what I've noticed so far:

The official eboot does NOT play nice with POPSLoader.
It's because of this that I was convinced that the game didn't work at all, and caused me to play the game on my PS3 up until Forbidden Island. Since it's the same game as the custom eboots used before today, my PSP kept its settings and tried to run this on 3.52 FW POPS, which renders it unable to start. I'd assume any firmware selection for POPSLoader other than "original" would give the same result.

You CAN return from the bottom floor of the Flutter.

This was one of the problem spots facing all players of this game through custom eboots, that the very lowest floor of the Flutter was glitched and inescapable should you go down there, but not important enough to break the experience for most players. However, in the official eboot, should you decide to go down there, you can explore the rooms, and you can climb back up the ladder.

The other problem spot, the ladder leading up to the Flutter in Pokte Village, might also be fixed, but as I am currently going back through Forbidden Island due to having returned to the Flutter to test the bottom floor, I'll edit this post later on whether or not you're able to go into the Flutter at that point. Do note that the store page only says PS3, but who knows? We might finally be able to play Mega Man Legends 2 without the use of POPSLoader.

EDIT: Yes, you can go up the ladder to the Flutter in Pokte Village. So it seems that the official PS1 eboot is the best way to play Mega Man Legends 2 on the PSP in English.

Last edited by Chris_Highwind,
Reactions: zfreeman

archnachoofthepi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting find. How did you get the official ebook onto your psp? I'm experimenting with ways to get this on my vita. If you don't have the latest firmware vita, new ps1 games won't show to transfer (at least in my experience), and I haven't been able to find any helpful info on how to circumvent that.

Though I do have a theory involving media go, a psp, a ps3 and open cma that I want to try tonight...

Chris_Highwind

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting find. How did you get the official ebook onto your psp? I'm experimenting with ways to get this on my vita. If you don't have the latest firmware vita, new ps1 games won't show to transfer (at least in my experience), and I haven't been able to find any helpful info on how to circumvent that.

Though I do have a theory involving media go, a psp, a ps3 and open cma that I want to try tonight...

I just plugged my PSP into the PS3, pressed Triangle on the bubble used to indicate uninstalled games, and selected Copy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo