OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi, Has anyone tried installing Ventoy and MediCat on a 2TB USB flash drive? I can't do it. VTOYEFI partition (fat16) erases after rebooting key.
It will require GPT and not MBR, that might be the reason why. Use GPT and format to NTFS after creation. You only lose compatibility with older non-UEFI computers.

momosala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you JAYRO, I tried it but after applying Ventoy, the VTOYEFI partition in fat16 turns into a RAW partition, without any file, if we disconnect and reconnect the key.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you JAYRO, I tried it but after applying Ventoy, the VTOYEFI partition in fat16 turns into a RAW partition, without any file, if we disconnect and reconnect the key.
That's very odd.you aren't using Windows 7 by chance, are you?

marie-sophie

Trophies
XP
Country
France
first at all try formatting your USB Stick and check it using H2testw then follow the github repo instructions for Ventoy and try if no booteable may be your BIOS (UEFI) Settings.
Hi,
Thks for trying to point the error to bios, but as I mentioned in my previous, the bios works just fine, it is the MediCat that messes up with it.
When I plug in the usb, it is seen as 32GB just fine
When I plug the USB with Ventoy, it is seen as 32GB just fine
When I boot the USB with Ventoy+ISO (i.e: Quobes-OS iSO, or HBCD ISO) it boot just fine
When I plug the USB with Ventoy+Medicat, it is seen as 18MB and not bootable
When I boot the USB with Ventoy+ISO Medicat, it won't boot
When I boot the USB with Ventoy+Medicat, it won't boot

Post automatically merged:

I'm using SUSE 15.4 and I tried on Win10

Has there been an official 'how-to' post about how to manually update the tools within MediCat? Incase there are things that are outdated and such. Also, is it possible to add our own tools to the list?
That would be great !

Wait, is there a W10 version of this, or just Linux?

I'd ask for W11, but that shit is unfinished so who cares? Microsoft needs to finish their OS first.
Why would they bother spending time and money finishing their OS, they have allways managed to get the users to finish it for them and then send patches and updates ... and the users are still buying licences from them !

Last edited by marie-sophie,

TingFeng77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Reactions: Jayro

momosala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
IS IT A REAL 2TB DRIVE.
I think you're right. My flash drive, bought online in China, is probably a poor quality flash drive with the wrong capacity.
Thank you for opening my eyes.
I think you're right. My flash drive, bought online in China, is probably a poor quality flash drive with the wrong capacity.

Looking at Ventoy docs
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layout_gpt.html

ventoy installs the partition to the very end of the USB Drive

please ensure that it is a genuine 2TB USB Drive

momosala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, Only Windows 10 Pro x64.
Without a doubt, a poor quality key, described as USB 3, but in fact USB2, no name, which I didn't pay much for.
Thank you JAYRO for your concern. You are a jewel.

binexnex

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
can't it just give me the iso? i already have ventoy on a usb ssd with a bunch of isos and VHDs and it is prompting me to select the drive i'll be installing it to, but i don't want to lose what's on the drive (and i don't want to backup like 300gb of stuff just to install this either)

why does it necessarily needs to install ventoy?

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't it just give me the iso? i already have ventoy on a usb ssd with a bunch of isos and VHDs and it is prompting me to select the drive i'll be installing it to, but i don't want to lose what's on the drive (and i don't want to backup like 300gb of stuff just to install this either)
Same here, except I just moved over my Ventoy installation from a 32GB to a 128GB USB drive and I was looking forward to the ability to put MediCat onto it and still having space for all my other ISOs rather than purely relying on Hiren's BootCD PE v1.02 which is a bit older with less software but was also much smaller (only 2.88GB, not a typo).

One thing I'm thinking about trying is to create a .img from an existing USB drive, that is installing MediCat the "traditional" way and then using the following command from Linux to dump it into a .img file (replacing the asterisk with the corresponding letter for the source disk's mountpoint):
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/sd* status=progress of=~/Downloads/MediCat.img
The only thing is that this would end up with a file that is as large as the entire source disk rather than the actual required size of just MediCat.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    They did end up using some of my stuff in the first Gulf war though lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GUYS I JUST COMMENTED A YOUR MOM JOKE ON A GACHA YT COMMUNITY POST (the algorithm has cursed me in terms of community posts, bc I fuck around on that sort of community post, just commenting and being a jackass)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT FELT SO GOOD
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the OP made a couple vocaloid characters, and the post had the caption "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: they're from vocaloid"
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    to which I responded:
    "Guess who I did 💙💛❤️

hint: it's uremum"
    +1
    I studied IPV6 if they hadn't passed the cyber terrorism laws omg.... In theory I have some awesome pranks but I'm afraid to test them lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thank goodness for VPN nowadays
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Thank goodness for VPN nowadays