GBAtemp's prince
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi I have Mcafee antivirus and was wondering if it was making my computer slower and if I should get something else what would it be?
Seriously am I wasting my money?

G

GentleFist

im using antivir, avast is equal if not better ~~but what im relying on is system recovery^^

dont have much virus problems

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
NO

not only does Mcafee suck, but it does slow down your computer.

I highly recommend avast free edition. Doesn't take up much space or resources, and I just plain like the way it looks ^.^

SOURCE:

I'm a certified CompTIA A+ IT Technician.

worlok375

GBAtemp's prince
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see...so if it sucks so badly with all the space taking and the fake positives why does it come pre-installed on some computers? Did Mcafee pay the developers?

tylerxian

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want to spend some money, I would suggest Eset, as it is the one that is working great for me. If you want free however, you should try out Avast.

G

GentleFist

worlok375 said:
I see...so if it sucks so badly with all the space taking and the fake positives why does it come pre-installed on some computers? Did Mcafee pay the developers?

dude when i buy a new computer i deinstall more than half of the programs on it, and yea i guess they get paid for it

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
tylerxian said:
If you want to spend some money, I would suggest Eset, as it is the one that is working great for me.

I agree Nod32 by Eset is one of the best antivirus software out there. It does cost a yearly subscription to get updates though.
For free AVG doesn't seem bad.

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest Avira Antivir (what I use), Avast, or AVG (all free)...Nod32 if you don't mind paying. Mcafee is a P.O.S and you will be much better off without it.

GentleFist said:
dude when i buy a new computer i deinstall more than half of the programs on it, and yea i guess they get paid for it

You mean people still buy pre-built (desktop) computers??
wtf.gif

G

GentleFist

jphriendly said:
I would suggest Avira Antivir (what I use), Avast, or AVG (all free)...Nod32 if you don't mind paying. Mcafee is a P.O.S and you will be much better off without it.

GentleFist said:

You mean people still buy pre-built (desktop) computers??
wtf.gif

no, i have a laptop^^ xD i dont use a pc since i dont have enough money for a decent one
(the laptop is from my for school budget)

Saywhatjj4

Trophies
XP
Country
I Personally Like:
Norton 360 v3 ,
Kaspersky Internet Protection 2009

For Free Programs I Prefer :
Malware Bytes Anti Malware
Threat Fire (Very Usefull Combo with Norton 360+Malware Bytes anti malware)
AVG
Avira
Avast AV (I heard Good Recommodations)

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Saywhatjj4 said:
I Personally Like:
Norton 360 v3

Norton is like a virus itself. Has poor detection rate and hogs system resources. Had that crap on my system before. Even if you uninstall it, traces of files still lurk about on your pc.
angry.gif

UnFallen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Saywhatjj4 said:
I Personally Like:
Norton 360 v3

Norton is like a virus itself. Has poor detection rate and hogs system resources. Had that crap on my system before. Even if you uninstall it, traces of files still lurk about on your pc.
angry.gif
I just uninstall Norton because it was giving me a bunch of crap. I just switched to kaspersky yah!!!
moogle.gif

fridgos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had McAfee pre-installed on my netbook. But I uninstalled it because it kept saying I wasn't protected, when I was.

So this is my combination: COMODO Internet Security Suite & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Yay.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
i use McAfee, but i tried to play a MMO Game (Luna) its saying its got a virus, but people have been saying its not a virus, and i know its not, i restore the files and it just Quarantines it again. Stupid. I restore it, and add it to the 'firewall allow list' and it still does it! I'm getting quite pissed with it tbh ¬¬.

Is avast a better option
smile.gif
? Or any other Anit-Virus software thats free?
i need one easy too use, and doesnt fuck about like McAfee.

mayhem366

Trophies
XP
Country
Haha, no way. Get rid of it ASAP.

It was one of the first things i got rid of on my new PC, apart from user account control in Vista of course
tongue.gif

There is nothing wrong with the good old (free) alternatives such as AVG and Avast.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Edhel said:
angry.gif

Go to their website, you can download something like 'Norton Removal Tool' if i recall well.

On Topic : Errrm Mcafee is a big NO. Its just crap. Go for something like ESET, its easy to use, light, and it actually works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-