Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Again, I'll quote myself:

"My car has a cd player.
your cars cd player has anti shock. the wii is not designed to be moving while in use.
If you find a way to hold down the Wii U (really wouldn't be that hard), then it would really be the same principle. My point is, I think if handled properly a child could really benefit from this thing on a long trip." With little to no damage to the disc or Wii U. Now granted if you just throw the thing in the car, you're asking for problems. But take some time to make a safe and sturdy setup for the thing and it should be fine.

you are missing the point. the wii can be fucking welded to the car frame, its still gonna fuck up the disc. any bump and the disc inside which is not welded to the frame will raise while spinning and scratch the top. then on its way back down will bottom out scratching the bottom of the disc....

any amount of holding the wii solidly will not solve the problem.

only way this is viable is with downloaded titles run from internal storage.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
the wii u isn't made for road trips..

and what happens when the power goes out, you brick your wii u???

EDIT: and also, hard dicks and the bd drive inside the wii u are NOT designed to withstand lots of bumps or drops...

there's a reason why it's called a "Home Console" because it's designed to be used in your HOME.

a "Portable Game Console" like the 3ds or the gayboy advanced is portable, it's designed to be used on the go, and it is also designed to not suck up 70W of power...

the nes/snes/n64 (not DD) are different stories.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's quite the interesting concept. I'd actually think about buying it if my car's cigarette lighter still worked, and I wasn't afraid of breaking the Wii U by driving over a speedbump.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wii u isn't made for road trips..

and what happens when the power goes out, you brick your wii u???

EDIT: and also, hard dicks and the bd drive inside the wii u are NOT designed to withstand lots of bumps or drops...

there's a reason why it's called a "Home Console" because it's designed to be used in your HOME.

a "Portable Game Console" like the 3ds or the gayboy advanced is portable, it's designed to be used on the go, and it is also designed to not suck up 70W of power...

the nes/snes/n64 (not DD) are different stories.

Hey if they really want to, don't use the BD drive. Use an external Solid-State drive. It's a bit pricier, and all your games have to be digital download, but it's better than causing damage.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a cool idea and could have it's uses, I wouldn't recommend using the thing while driving down the road, but sitting in a parking lot for an hour while your mom goes shopping? That would be nice.

Now my personal opinion? I don't even like moving a console from one room to another room very often as I just don't think it is good for them... Too many moving parts these days and I doubt they are built to "Laptop" standards as bad as those are...

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your cars cd player has anti shock. the wii is not designed to be moving while in use.[...]

All that "anti skip" is is the player caching the next 60 seconds of the song to memory. That's why after 60 seconds of continues hard bumps, you start getting skips (depending on the player, some have more, some have less). There's no physical mechanism that stops the disk from bouncing.

The fact that the Xbox 360 rings the disks when you move it is bad design. I've taken my old Xbox and stood it on it's side while playing a disk and nothing has happened. Granted, I don't actually know what's causing the disks to be ringed like that, but the Xbox, which wasn't even designed for vertical play, handles it fine.

Reactions: Zetta_x

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wii-u suffers almost a million times more abuse being shipped to a location and then being sold in retail stores than it ever will on a car ride. The only thing in question is whether or not there is a problem with a disc flopping around in there.

The wii-u doesn't continually read the disc. It reads a segment into RAM and then waits until it needs to read from the disc again. Therefore, there is small probability of the chance of it not finding the disc because of coincidence, but this is no way damaging the wii-U, the worst that will happen is freeze the game once it can't find the disc long enough.

Have you guys ever opened a CD/Blu-Ray drive? Sometimes the disc is even locked in there pretty securely.

The only concern is the amount of power the car can give and does it fluctuate? I've never had problems with fluctuations so if the Wii-U works without overtaxing the power, there is absolutely no problem.

So the many of you who keep whining about how it's not a good idea, pick something else to whine about.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A gameboy is one thing, it's actually meant to be portable. Putting a Wii U in a car is a bad idea because home consoles weren't meant to be portable. One good bump on the road and there goes the disks. Now yeah you can use downloaded one, but still my point is more about the disks.

Yeah, this is why cars never have CD players in them.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, this is why cars never have CD players in them.
The CD players in the cars are made to be moved and bumped, but even then CD's still suffer minor damages from the car hitting bumps.

Now go put a disk in your Wii U and pick or move the system well it is playing. I bet your disks will have minor scratches just for doing that. Now think about the damages your disks will suffer from hitting any amount of bumps or if the system is moved too much well driving
I do know that you can buy games off the market and install them directly to the hard drive, if that's what you plan on doing, then I guess that can work.
But I am more concerned about the disks. People who are most likely going to buy this are parents buying it for their kids. Which means they most likely are going to buy hard copies of the games. It's a serious waste of money if spend 50$ to 60$ on a game, then have it trashed on your family road trip.
If you really want to have your kids playing video games portability on a road trip, I would suggest buying an actual portable system for them instead.

You can't compare something that is meant to be stationary to something that is made to be portable.
-Lucario

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I get the whole excitement but this reminds me of Xzibit and "Pimp my Ride" an awful lot - I remember that they've integrated quite a few video game systems in the cars they modified.

Exactly that.
Shitcars transformed into hellaflush/ricer/shitbox cars with worthless rubbish added to them and videogame systems you can better play in on your telie.

Sorry, I stick to me car being a car instead of a circus.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Exactly that.
Shitcars transformed into hellaflush/ricer/shitbox cars with worthless rubbish added to them and videogame systems you can better play in on your telie.

Sorry, I stick to me car being a car instead of a circus.
I never said these were in any way convenient, all I said was that it was an "interesting" thing to do. Moreover, if done properly, you can quite easily implement screens of the back of the front seats, put one in the compartment usually reserved for the radio or two smaller ones on the sun visors above the driver's and passenger's seat and so-on and so-forth without making it look tacky - in fact, some dealerships have stock car models with such features. Adding a console would be a matter of hooking it up to the car battery and putting it in the gloves compartment... :tpi:

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I never said these were in any way convenient, all I said was that it was an "interesting" thing to do. Moreover, if done properly, you can quite easily implement screens of the back of the front seats, put one in the compartment usually reserved for the radio or two smaller ones on the sun visors above the driver's and passenger's seat and so-on and so-forth without making it look tacky - in fact, some dealerships have stock car models with such features. Adding a console would be a matter of hooking it up to the car battery and putting it in the gloves compartment... :tpi:

Enjoy dismanteling half your engine/front bumper whilst replacing a lightbulb on those "stock entertainment" cars.

I have to admit that it's indeed interesting, however how much use do you have from it?
Other then you driving it?
Families with kids, I can see that working so those horrible children would shut up instead of bugging you.

Still, I stick with me car being a car.
The only electronics I have is a car HiFi I built meself and an electrical sunroof.
Everything else is analogue (except the dashclock) and the ECU.
I'm happy I can replace a headlight bulb for a quid instead of 200 + missing the car for a day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-