Massive saving issues

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by The_Dark_Knight, Apr 15, 2010.

Apr 15, 2010

Massive saving issues by The_Dark_Knight at 9:12 PM (2,003 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

Member The_Dark_Knight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi all,

So I've happily played my DS Lite and Acekard RPG since about Summer '08 with very few issues.

A few weeks ago I tried to play WarioWare DIY and found that it was not saving any thing I did. Essentially, each time I loaded the game it was as if it was the first time.

I had so few issues with my DS that I hadn't updated my AKAIO since version 1.4.1. So, at the recommendation of this community, I updated to (I believe) 1.6 RC-2 (something like that).

Now I couldn't even load up the game, it would just sit there on "loading" (for upwards of 9 minutes before I gave up).

Someone suggested WoodRPG so I tried that. The game would load but, again, no saves.

I went back to AKAIO 1.6 and found that now even my old games were not recognizing save files. Each game I loaded up was like it had never seen me before (not a huge deal since I back up my saves).

So, at the recommendation of this board, I reformatted my Acekard and put freshly unzipped firmware on it.

Still, things weren't loading, things weren't saving, and many things were freezing/crashing.

I decided to go back a step and installed AKAIO 1.5.1.

Still, things aren't saving and newer games like Pokemon SS and Sonic Collection are freezing/crashing.

I'm at a complete loss ... what should I do!?

2. giratina16

Member giratina16 Born This Way

United Kingdom
    Strange it took about 1 minute for Warioware DIY to load on my AK2i. Maybe you should just by a new cart or something.

3. kineticUk

Member kineticUk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well unfortutely it sounds like a hardware issue/corrupt memory (Assuming from your info you use the Nand and not an SD card?). I can confirm that akaio 1.6RC2 should save when its used on the RPG. Have you tried playing another game on a fresh install after formatting the memory? If thats not working then something is broke.

If you were using an SD card in the RPG then that could have corrupted or failed. If it still had problems after a clean format and reinstall (from scratch) of akaio (saving etc) then it would be a case of buying a new SD card.

I need more info really though, you do know about the savelistex.bin file obviously? And the way RPG works as far as saves... you have tried manually setting the game up first of all before trying to play it etc?

Dunno what else would help. Sorry I'd be sad if mine died.

4. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    I actually don't know what you mean about the savelistex.bin.

Also, I've tried reformatting and putting ver 1.4.1 back on ... it won't recognize my old saves and if I start a new one, save, quit, and reload, it says something like "save data has been corrupted and will be deleted."

w t f !?

5. kineticUk

United Kingdom
    The rpg save system uses a file called savelistex.bin to store information about which games have a save file associated with them already. If you install new versions of akaio then you must copy the savelistex.bin over from your previous install or when you load a game your save file will be overwritten. If you didn't already know this then thats one of the problems with games starting up like there is no save file. (As long as you have saves backed up its possible to set them up again. 1.Load game. 2.Get to point so you can create a save. Sometimes just loading game once is enough for akaio to create initial .sav file. 3. Restart your DS and let it do its thing when you start akaio. You'll see it process save info then. 4. Turn off DS put your save file onto the RPG replacing the fresh one just created. 5. Play your game from where you left off. You need to follow this order for each game that needs a save set up to it. Once everything is back to normal backup your savelistex.bin file to save you doing this if you change versions again).

The other cause of saves being corrupted/not recognised/fuc*ed up could be that you have not set the correct save size for the rom, that after you updated akaio your saves are set to the wrong file type (.sav or .nds.sav) or possibly another setting is conflicting with the rom eg cheats soft-reset etc and needs disabled.

Are you playing off an SD card or the NAND?

WarioWare needs akaio 1.6rc and the save it uses is 256MBit btw try that out see if it works after you manually set it up. The save data should keep.

6. logical thinker

Member logical thinker GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    Try this:
    1. Put Wood RPG 1.05 on your RPG.
    2. Put Mario Kart DS on your SD.
    3. Test if Mario Kart DS is saving.
    If not.
    4. Highlight Mario Kart DS and press Y, press Y again, press R, change the setting "Save directly to SD" to on, press A, press A again, press A on more time, run Mario Kart DS and test if it is saving.
    If Mario Kart DS saves normally, the save memory of your RPG is corrupted or defective. I don't know how to fix it.

7. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    ok, gang, I've tried so many things that I can't even remember specifically what I did ....

however, I think the important thing was that my previous saves where in ".nds.sav" form and the new firmware was just looking for ".sav"

SO...
    1. I've got my old saves working (at least the two important ones I tried).

2. I was able to start, save, load, save, and load again a file of Pokemon SoulSilver... that's new (and awesome!!)

3. However, even though I have WarioWare set to 256MB save type, it still will not load. I let it go for 5 or more minutes and it still doesn't load.
    Any other ideas on what to do for this?
    Maybe I need a new ROM? Did any of them have protection on them or something?

THANKS A LOT GUYS!! WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE GOOD!!

8. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    Well, I had to reformat my card (don't ask).

So I wound up back at square one.

I was able to get my old saves working (#1 above)

But I still can't get WarioWare to load on 1.6RC2 and if I use a firmware that allows it to load, it won't save. (#3 above)

In addition, now Soul Silver (#2 above) is back to its non-saving ways BUT WITH A TWIST!!

For Soul Silver, it literally loads my save EVERY OTHER time.

I run the game, save, turn off, load - nothing.
    turn off, load again - save file!
    turn off, load again - nothing.
    turn off, load again - save file!

This works like clockwork. And I remember hearing something about how Pokemon games use some kind of 2-slot save system.

So does this shed any light on what my potential issues are???

Reminder: DS Lite, Acekard RPG, AKAIO 1.6RC2

9. kineticUk

United Kingdom
    The type of saved used by retail pokemon game has nothing to do with the issue. This is just user error as you said previously that you had checked that game and it was working. I'm not gonna bother writing another essay (maybe logical helper will help you again) I think I've said everything already and all other info will be on this forum already. Best you have a read through the wiki too and get to know a bit more about how everything works, then format and reinstall akaio. I don't think there is anything wrong with your RPG...good luck.

10. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    Ok, that's fine. I'm pretty satisfied with the fact that everything but WarioWare works (most of the time).

Trust me, in 2008 when I started the whole DS flashcard project I did all sorts of reading and all sorts of research and no one would give me answers because I guess the flashcard community really feels knowledge must be earned and not given.

So I appreciate your help greatly, but please don't mistake my lack of capability for a lack of effort.

I did searches before I came here (duh). I posted in the games section before things turned into a general saving issue. I'm doing my best and trust me, I'd rather be playing sweet games than apparently wasting your time.

11. kineticUk

United Kingdom
    Its not a problem and I haven't mistaken anything. I hope you get everything sorted out.

12. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    Ok, thanks buddy.

English, right? So "cheers"! =)

13. kineticUk

United Kingdom
    Alright I'm bumping this one up cause I have now tested WarioWare DIY on my RPG (akaio 1.6RC2).

It doesn't seem to be working so I guess this is an issue with the RPG loader and neither the US or European releases work. It gets stuck with the blue "loading" shown. The save size has been manually set (by myself) to 256M.

Before I can report this to akaio team could anyone confirm that I have this correct?

Has anyone got an RPG with latest akaio version, does warioware load up on yours?

Shi* really want to play this game.

14. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    It will only work from the akrpg sd, it will never work from the nand.

15. kineticUk

United Kingdom
    Sorry Normmatt, I should have mentioned that. I am loading WarioWareDIY from the rpg SD as I had remembered reading re:made in ore (iirc), that it was only supported on the SD card. I actually thought I'd best check loading it from NAND afterwards but trying to copy WarioWareDIY.nds to NAND corrupted my system files (I Don't understand whats going on with copy/paste, and I would have tried to provide some info for akaio team otherwise. Fails with akaio freezing mostly during the paste part. Its the 1st time I have tried to copy from SD to the NAND (just to make sure I properly debugged this) and it corrupted all the system files on the NAND).
    Anyway thanks for the reply though and help, I appreciate it. I've written a proper report for the rpg sd WarioWare issue and hope thats ok.

16. ericling

Member ericling GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    same case [​IMG]
    But only for the first time to load.

17. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    im using akaio 1.6 rc2 and mines was able to make a sav file and load it but at some points in warioware diy it freezes with a black screen.

18. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    Wow. Thanks for looking into to it so deeply, Kinetic! You're the man!

So, it sounds like it didn't work from the NAND or the SD? Is that correct? Or did the SD solution work? I couldn't quite decipher that from your text.

It looks like you issued a report of some kind to the team. Does that mean they might be (need to be) releasing a new firmware soon to fix it?

Thanks again everyone. I was starting to just give up on this...

19. kineticUk

United Kingdom
    It didn't work and I was loading from the SD card. It isn't going to ever work off the NAND cause its not officially supported, I had just wanted to check it out before reporting the issue. To clarify neither the U or E release work on the RPG now but the U release works on other acekards (2/i). And its been reported so hopefully there will be an update in the future which will allow the games to be played.
    Cheers.

20. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    Thanks so much, buddy.

You are the man.

Is there a place to sign up to get emailed when new AKAIO firmwares are released?