Mass Suicide Threats at Xbox 360 Plant

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But, that would put productivity and produce down the pipe. And we can't have that purplesludge. The pursuit of imaginary money supercedes our only moment in existence, and By God, what are we without pointless junk as the greatest importance in life?

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But, that would put productivity and produce down the pipe. And we can't have that purplesludge. The pursuit of imaginary money supercedes our only moment in existence, and By God, what are we without pointless junk as the greatest importance in life?
I would think that improved employee morale would benefit productivity and there would be less suicide threats but due to the huge population in China employees can be replaced very easily thus the suicide threats to get media attention. An example is near my campus there is a restaurant where the owner treats his employees awful, berates them, and fires them for the simplest mistake since he has a near unlimited supply of college students to use for workers.

I would like to believe that the companies that use Foxconn are not telling them to treat their employees this way and that it is just the higher ups trying to squeeze as much from the workers as possible only to reap the benefits themselves.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Anti-suicide nets? Why not just pay for better conditions and pay the workers more.
because this is china
a country which recycles sewage and labels it "cooking oil", makes a blatant copy of the Odaiba Gundam (which they claim to be original), pirates the Shinkansen bullet train and kills off its passengers, and collects the liquids collecting at the bottom of trash bins and passes them off as "soup".

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I gotta deal with cows having pissing and shitting all over the place and kicking you and getting you covered in mud and shit, and I only make $20 a day. Cry me a river.

{this post was a joke}

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Without them you would have been speaking german. Be happy we saved your asses in World War 2.
Saved? Really?

Oh, when I read this I was at the point of boiling and I had to wait a considerable ammount of time before replying to avoid flaming your brains out, and that time has come.

What you're saying is complete, utter bullcr*p - it's a fallacy againts history and it's unacceptable by any standards. Germans were already retreating from Poland when the Red Army came after the failed attempt at conquering U.S.S.R. The Red Army did not "liberate" Poland and whoever taught you that is a complete moron - Poland was a country that just happened to be on the path to Germany which the Soviets planned to level with the ground. "Liberation" and "saving" implies that the Germans were pushed out of the country and Polish independence was restored - no such thing happened. They annexed Poland, then erased it from maps, leaving nothing but smoldering ruins, pillaging villages and cities and raping women. Your great grandfather was fighting in WWII? Good riddence, my grandmother was a little girl during it and she remembers the Red Menace rolling into her home town, raping women and cutting off their breasts so that they could no longer feed their children.

The Red Army was anything but professionals - they were randomly-picked people from all across the U.S.S.R. They knew nothing of honor or the art of war - they were simple people that were given guns. Simple people with simple minds who abused the fact that they were crossing through a country with no means of defence. Some of them were twisted f*cks that I mentioned earlier who took great pleasure in killing random people for no reason whatsoever, others were thieves who entered palaces and institutions and - listen to this, removed golden doorknobs and replaced them with copper or bronze ones.

There was nothing "glorious" about your so-called "saving" of Poland - the Germans were fleeing anyways. There were no substantial skirmshes, no resistance. The Red Army went through the defenseless Poland like a butterknife through butter. At first, the remnants of Polish army were supporting their actions and even helping them in driving the remaining Germans out of the country. Do you know how they were repaid for their service?

Officers ranking high and low, alongside with the Intelligence, that being professors etc. etc. were rounded up in forests and institutionally exterminated, then burried in mass graves in the thousands. Stalin knew that Poles are entirely capable of rebirth and revolution - the choice was made to erase Poland from existence, destroy everything that is Polish and bring in a new Communist order. The Western powers allowed this to happen despite the fact that innitially they wanted to help Poland regain independence... but you know what? Back then, nobody discussed with the U.S.S.R. If the U.S.S.R gave them a false promise that they will be peaceful as long as they get "something", "something" was given to them. The whole world trembled when they thought that one day the Red Cloud might be over their homes. People didn't respect your ancestors, they didn't thank them for driving the Germans away - they were fearful for their own lives each and every day. It was only thanks to our remaining diplomats that Poland re-emerged much, much later as the People's Republic of Poland, and even then we were directly under Moscow's paw.

Christians were being persecuted againts, also leading to certain... let's call them "violations" without mentioning the details. In the end, the nation was so petrified of their own neighbours, of the fact that someone might "rat" the family out that we ended up in a state of a quiet civil war between those who chose to enter the Party just for the safety of their families and those who fought againts the Party with all power that they could muster.

Of course this is a huge jump-cut - I'm not even mentioning half of it. My point is that what you were taught is pure propaganda - it's a lie the world agreed upon just so that they don't have to look at the uncomfortable truth.

Do you know who liberated Poland? The Poles. In 1989. We started off a chain reaction that caused "your" glorified empire to fall apart, and we've never been so proud of anything else in our history.

If your "idea" of "saving" is pillage, r*pe, murder, propaganda of lies and destruction of what you're actually saving then yes, your ancestors helped save Poland from the Germans. Thank f*ck for that.

Not that I'm hating on you or anybody else here - I just particularily dislike when people outwardly ask me to thank them for what was essentially an unimaginable crime.

Message to the Mods: I urge you not to remove this message. It's very much related to the actual happenings under Communist rule, and Jakub's case shows exactly how the commie propaganda works. He actually believes that what happened was beneficial in any way to the affected nations, that the great Communist Party gave the nations they conquered a reason to exist, protection and care wheras the truth is as far from those as possible - the territories under Communist domain are being exploited for resources and labour, no matter how pretty it may look when described in a Red pamphlet and the lies propagated by Communist governments are written in blood of thousands of innoscent people. Point.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Foxi4']
*sigh* I know how much time and thought you put into that, so I'm not immediately deleting it the way I probably should.

I recognize the parallels you're trying to show between today's Chinese government, and the former U.S.S.R.
but it's detracting from conversation of the original topic and making the discussion into something completely different.

So I politely ask that you, @[member='Jakob95'], and anybody else wishing to debate the matter to do so elsewhere.
I would prefer it to be in private messages just to keep the general peace around here.
But so long as it's not right here, I'll be relatively content.

Reactions: 2 people

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft's follow up on what happened.

Microsoft is one of many companies that contracts with Foxconn to manufacture hardware. Upon learning of the labor protest in Wuhan, we immediately conducted an independent investigation of this issue.

After talking with workers and management, it is our understanding that the worker protest was related to staffing assignments and transfer policies, not working conditions. Due to regular production adjustments, Foxconn offered the workers the option of being transferred to alternative production lines or resigning and receiving all salary and bonuses due, according to length of service. After the protest, the majority of workers chose to return to work. A smaller portion of those employees elected to resign.

Microsoft takes working conditions in the factories that manufacture its products very seriously. We have a stringent Vendor Code of Conduct that spells out our expectations, and we monitor working conditions closely on an ongoing basis and address issues as they emerge. Microsoft is committed to the fair treatment and safety of workers employed by our vendors and to ensuring conformance with Microsoft policy.

Source

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I just realized that all this had been argument between a Pole and a Russian. It makes sense now.

Seriously, fuck everyone. History is bloody, and there's no group you can turn to that was perfectly good. Or even really good at all.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just realized that all this had been argument between a Pole and a Russian. It makes sense now.

Seriously, fuck everyone. History is bloody, and there's no group you can turn to that was perfectly good. Or even really good at all.
True, but why paint something in pretty colours when they're not pretty at all? I don't think that people should just all nod in agreement when what's being said is a very pretty lie just so that we don't have to think about the tougher parts of our history. Yeah, life's bitter, but we can either accept that, learn of past mistakes and attempt to correct them, or at least try not to repeat them or build an imaginary world where "nothing really happened and we move on" stepping into the same cr*p over and over again.

As VP said, this isn't the point of this thread though, so we should probably move to the On-topic now.

As for Microsoft's response is concerned, it's actually quite thorough. The workers did indeed strike not because of the working conditions but because of payments they did not recieve (yet). When you approach the situation from that angle, Microsoft indeed didn't have any reasons to change their deals with Foxconn in the slightest.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Canada prided themselves on, out of all the other countries in the commonwealth, accepting the least Jewish refugees during WWII. We were racist as fuck. Our prime minister at the time bought all the land surrounding his property to ensure that no Jews tried to move there. Immigration minister was worse.

But anyway, this Foxconn stuff isn't exactly new. They've been in and out of the news for some time now. I don't know why the source article calls Foxconn Xbox 360 makers. They make everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them