Mario Maker - lost all progress - 10 year old very upset!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Nealla30, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Nealla30
    OP

Nealla30 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2007
    United States
    When we first got this game, it said our Flash Drive was full so I put a new one in and formatted it and all was well. Yesterday, my son claims that he accidentally hit something that updated the USB Flash Drive and it wiped everything out. Super Mario Maker is back to square one! As if it was the first time we played it! All the stuff he had unlocked / opened is gone! I told him he just has to start over.
    But I am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to "share" these save files out and if so, does anyone know a site where folks share these?

2. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    All the lost content should be recoverable within a day if you have the latest patch update. But any custom levels that weren't uploaded to Course World will be lost forever. If there were any levels uploaded, you should be able to find them if you know the Course ID, and then you can just save them to your system memory.

3. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    That's the joy of games. Start again.

zoogie likes this.
  4. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    this is why you make backups. the wii u allows you to copy your saves to different devices

5. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    The title of this thread could lead some people who have not read any of the posts to come to the conclusion that Mario maker has some kind of bug or other fault that deletes saves. It was certainly what I thought until I had read the posts here.

6. crea

crea GBAtemp Regular

Mar 20, 2013
    Lesotho
    Keywords being "claims" and "hit something". If your son did an SD card format, of course, the sd card wqill be formatted. If it was delete account in-game (I do not own Mario Maker so I don't know the exqact options), then it would be deleted.

Option 1, formatting, will be easier to recover from. You can take the SD card to a PC and use a program like unformatter to try to recover the files.
    Deletion will most likely be deadly, as recovery programs afaik somehow cannot recover filenames, only the file content. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    With HDDs at least it's able to recover most filenames but due to how flash memory stores data in a different way I don't think recovery programs are as effective on them.