Hacking Mario Kart Wii - CTCODE Distribution - GP Cup Names?

oliacym

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I seem to have hit a wall and wonder if a veteran has the answer. I'm trying to create a CTCODE distribution for Mario Kart Wii and I've got as far as having a bunch of single player GP cups, with the custom menu icons and everything, in addition to the original cups. So far so good, all works perfectly. However, when I start a race, the cup name is not displaying, instead showing a "?" for all custom cups, and just blank for the original 8 cups, even though there are values for the custom cups in the respective BMG.

I know I have the correct BMG because changes I make to it are reflected in the race (I altered the "?" successfully). The issue seems to be that even though the cup names are moved to entry 4200 and beyond, the code itself seems unaware that it's supposed to be looking there for these names, making me think I've missed a step. Unfortunately the tutorials seem to dry up a bit at this stage so I thought I'd ask directly.

This is a very minor thing but I'm keen to understand every aspect of this, and I'd be grateful for any help! Thank you in advance.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Playing custom GPs in a CT-CODE distribution *will* ruin your savegame at some point. I don't know why the 8 original cups don't show a cup name, but the fact that custom cups show a question mark as cup name and cup image in GP mode is an already known bug of the CT-CODE.

The additional cups from the ct-code should only be used in offline VS mode or in online play (in a dedicated region or in friend rooms). Using these in GP mode will, and using them in time trial mode might, ruin your savegame, due to the fact that the game will try to store results in wrong places in the savegame, overwriting other important stuff.

Most distributions using ct-code just add a big red warning text on the GP button telling users to not use that and to only play VS races.

Nearly all of these bugs will be fixed in the LE-CODE (a MKWii mod framework I am currently building which has more features than the ct-code), but currently I can't tell at what time that will be ready and usable for other custom track distributions.

Last edited by leseratte,
Reactions: Wiimm

oliacym

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First, thanks for the quick reply. Secondly, ah that's a shame about GP cups - but if they're all playable in offline vs I can live with that. If GP mode isn't really playable without breaking saves I guess I won't lose any more sleep over it. Very interested in LECODE though, if it can remove other limits. Is there anywhere you'd recommend to stay abreast of its development?

Again, many thanks for the information.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill