Mario Kart DS Tournament Discussion Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Foie
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 7,217
  • Replies Replies 86
i cant get into the IRC for some reason
tongue.gif
 
Yeah, I was thinking about IRC. That could easily work. We should probably do that. And as for how long the tournament will last, it will really depend on the amount of people and their availability. The first round will happen on Friday and Saturday, so everybody will have a chance to get in on the first round within that time period. I could use some help organizing the participants in Europe and the other side of the world, because it will be night time here. The next rounds will not take nearly as long, because there will fewer opponents. I am thinking that we will be done by Monday or Tuesday if all goes well.

As for the format, I think we should do it on a point based system. For example, in each round, you have to get at least 15 points or so in order to advance. Or just the people in first and second place advance. That way, if there is a close match, the people who got close will not automatically get disqualified.

As for tracks, I (and maybe others) will be selecting the track list for each round. I will choose carefully, selecting tracks that will create a mix of difficulty. I will do this so that figure 8 circuit isn't chosen every time.

BTW, I had a dream about this competition last night. I lost in the first round :'(
 
Yeah, I was thinking about IRC. That could easily work. We should probably do that. And as for how long the tournament will last, it will really depend on the amount of people and their availability. The first round will happen on Friday and Saturday, so everybody will have a chance to get in on the first round within that time period. I could use some help organizing the participants in Europe and the other side of the world, because it will be night time here. The next rounds will not take nearly as long, because there will fewer opponents. I am thinking that we will be done by Monday or Tuesday if all goes well.

As for the format, I think we should do it on a point based system. For example, in each round, you have to get at least 15 points or so in order to advance. Or just the people in first and second place advance. That way, if there is a close match, the people who got close will not automatically get disqualified.Â

As for tracks, I (and maybe others) will be selecting the track list for each round. I will choose carefully, selecting tracks that will create a mix of difficulty. I will do this so that figure 8 circuit isn't chosen every time.

BTW, I had a dream about this competition last night. I lost in the first round :'(

yam the IRC does seem to be the best, except people just have to download something, not to hard.. and maybe if the mods are nice, they can create a special room for the tournament, only the people who signed up can get it, hopefully the mods are nice
tongue.gif
so you just need enough points to advance to the next round? or the person who wins the race, i like that idea of points, although, what will the points be based on?
 
Well, when racing, you get points depending on your place (I made a mistake by saying 15 points to advance) it goes like this (in a three or four player match):

1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 4 points
4th place: 1 points

And of course, there a four races, so you could have a max of 40 points.

So in reality, you would need something like 28 points in order to advance to the next round.

BTW, I just got my DS back, and I need to practice some more. I got second place :'( Except three of the four races were in Delfino square, so I can see why he chose it every time. That is why we will have pre-determined tracks for each round.
 
1. IRC channel sounds good.
2. if we want to reduce the effect of snaking we could pcik courses in which it is harder to snake effectively?
 
Well, when racing, you get points depending on your place (I made a mistake by saying 15 points to advance) it goes like this (in a three or four player match):

1st place: 10 points
2nd place: 7 points
3rd place: 4 points
4th place: 1 points

And of course, there a four races, so you could have a max of 40 points.

So in reality, you would need something like 28 points in order to advance to the next round.Â

BTW, I just got my DS back, and I need to practice some more. I got second place :'( Except three of the four races were in Delfino square, so I can see why he chose it every time. That is why we will have pre-determined tracks for each round.

what if you make it just like 21 points to advance, 28 seams a little harsh,
tongue.gif
anyway, the IRC seams great
 
Is there a deadline for when registration is over, because on the day before that, someone should post a topic in the user submitted news telling that it is the last day to register for the tournament. This way everyone will be able to see it, and hopefully, a few more people will enter some last minuet registrations.

As for IRC, what should the channel be?
 
I am actually leaning on making the matches different. There will be 3 racers, and one referee. The referee will just sit there and make sure everything goes smooth, as well as take the results at the end. The winner of the match will be the only one to advance. If there is a two-way tie, then they will both advance. If there is a three-way (which I'm not sure is even possible) then the match will be re-played.

How does this sound?

Oh, and for IRC it will be in #MKDS_Tournament on EFnet IRCHighway

Due to issues with hosting the channel, I have selected a different server.


EDIT:

Actually, this method seems too complicated. I am probably going to go with the previous point method.
 
Wow, eliminating 2/3 of the competition on the first round! I had an idea though. How about everyone chooses the course that they do best at and competes in it for the first round. That way, everyone who excels specifically at one course won't win as easily because he will be facing people who also excel at that course. As for those who choose a course that either already has to many/little people, I'm not sure what to do with them, but hey, this is only an idea. It doesn't have to be used, and it can easily be used to be based off for something else.(did that make sense, because it didn't to me...)
 
I think it would work best to just carefully select a variety of tracks with a range of difficulty. I'll select the courses for the first round, and I'll appoint others to select courses for the next rounds. This way, it's less complicated, yet still requires skill. We don't want to be racing on duplicate courses in the same match.
 

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted