Misc Mario Kart DS glitching?

DaBurgh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a cycloDS evolution and was playing Mario Kart earlier with just a couple of random dudes, both had a pretty high win total and the one guy had over 4000 matches played. Anyway is it possible to glitch. I only ask because both guys absolutely blew me out of the water. I'm talking the one dude took off so fast in a matter of seconds he was gone. I deal with plenty of glitching while playing Madden 08 on my PS2, thankfully most of my playing in that regard is via league play where rules are in place and glitching is a punishable offense. I didn't expect people to feel the need to cheat while playing Mario Kart of all things, but I suppose cheating has no bound. Anyway I was just surprised and wanted to try and verify if that is in fact what occurred.

I'm also looking for a solid few guys to play some Kart action with me or any other solid multi-player game. I downloaded most everything considered "worth a sh.it".......

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you saw lots of shuddering movement by the opponents karts then you have just witnessed Snaking. It's perfectly normal to see if on WFC since the it's all anyone ever seems to do on there. The worst part about it is if you do beat a snaker, they more often than not just disconnect on you as well :\

DaBurgh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LokusT said:
If you saw lots of shuddering movement by the opponents karts then you have just witnessed Snaking. It's perfectly normal to see if on WFC since the it's all anyone ever seems to do on there. The worst part about it is if you do beat a snaker, they more often than not just disconnect on you as well :\

Yea thats exactly what went down. He was moving his Kart back and forth in a "snaking" fashion and took off like a damn rocket. Honestly whats the damn point. It takes all the fun out of the game and unfortunately this trickles down to every other game while on-line. It's a disgrace really, what ever happened to the days of beating your opponent straight up. I'm 25 and at least experienced my fair share of str8 up play. I feel bad for the younger generations that have only ever delt with the "cheese" crowd. I guess I'm going to have to stick strictly to friend codes. I guess I better get cracking in that regard...(gathering friend codes)

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's unfortunate that that's the situation with Nintendo WFC play. You sort of have to play with friend codes on Mario Kart DS just to get a good game yet Friend Codes are so impractical. And you're spot on about the problem with younger generations having to be subjected to it. One of their better options to get friend codes would've been in Nintendo's own forums, except they're against sharing of friend codes there.... cue the head scratching.

On another note, there is some skill to snaking itself though and anyone can do it with a bit of practise really, it's just when playing online I'd much rather play it the way it was intended, like the SNES/N64 versions in multiplayer. It's so much more fun than trying to build up a good win/loss ratio which is utterly meaningless anyway. Oh well. C'est la vie.

DaBurgh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaBurgh said:
LokusT said:

Yea thats exactly what went down. He was moving his Kart back and forth in a "snaking" fashion and took off like a damn rocket. Honestly whats the damn point. It takes all the fun out of the game and unfortunately this trickles down to every other game while on-line. It's a disgrace really, what ever happened to the days of beating your opponent straight up. I'm 25 and at least experienced my fair share of str8 up play. I feel bad for the younger generations that have only ever delt with the "cheese" crowd. I guess I'm going to have to stick strictly to friend codes. I guess I better get cracking in that regard...(gathering friend codes)

I by absolutely no means intend to begin "snaking" but what are guys doing when snaking? Just moving the Kart back and forth at a rapid pace with the D-pad? Either way it's really stupid and ruins the game online. I also wouldn't go as far as saying friend codes are impractical but setting up a game would technically take a little longer I guess. I also can't begin to guess why they discourage friend code exchanges on the Nintendo forums. Isn't that the whole point of friend codes to begin with? I guess when it all boils down people will do anything to win, in turn the games in question suffer and as we've both agreed the younger kids out to just enjoy themselves a la when I was younger and gaming are getting the shaft. It's very unfortunate and it still boggles my mind that no matter the game people find a way to exploit it. Where do these people come from? My guess is they are the same kids that routinely get their a.sses kicked in at recess and when they go home they're gods on their DS or respective systems lol.

Idiots.......

LokusT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, pretty much, it's just a manipulation of the game mechanics where you use the powerslide boost (something I personally have no qualms with at all in multiplayer) and then once you boost, you quickly start the motions for boosting in the other direction, and you rinse and repeat. You end up mostly zigzagging around the circuit. On tracks with many straights it is pretty unrealistic to catch a snaker without snaking yourself unless you get particularly lucky with the weapons. But yeah, it's a simple technique which was built into the game and ruined the experience a bit playing randoms online.

DaBurgh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LokusT said:
Yeah, pretty much, it's just a manipulation of the game mechanics where you use the powerslide boost (something I personally have no qualms with at all in multiplayer) and then once you boost, you quickly start the motions for boosting in the other direction, and you rinse and repeat. You end up mostly zigzagging around the circuit. On tracks with many straights it is pretty unrealistic to catch a snaker without snaking yourself unless you get particularly lucky with the weapons. But yeah, it's a simple technique which was built into the game and ruined the experience a bit playing randoms online.

Lovely. I guess I won't be playing Mario Kart online with anyone I don't know or at least exchanged friend codes with from this forum. However for all I know people on this forum utilize the snake. It's such a great game as well and really a crying shame to not be able to play it in all it's glory via multi-player. I was trying to play Advance Wars just messing around but I realized I'm a little too tired to play that one.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think there are ways to hack nd stuff
cuz i was playing with this dude
who won like 60,000+ times
and no losses
then when we start racing
he like shoots 2 blue shells
and like he has bombs and all this crap
and he like appears out of nowhere and like drives backwards
sigh. people these days

ItsMetaKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tinymonkeyt said:
i think there are ways to hack nd stuff
cuz i as playing with this dude
who won like 60,000+ times
and no losses
then when we start racing
he like shoots 2 blue shells
and like he has bombs and all this crap
and he like appears out of nowhere and like drives backwards
sigh. people these days
i also saw that guy. i was like wtf and burst out laughing
rofl2.gif

Artheido

Trophies
Website
artheido.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Snaking isn't that hard to pull off... Though I prefer non-snaking.

Remember, fun isn't always about winning
yaynds.gif

Learn to Snake, if you don't want to, stop playing on random and stop complaining about snakers. It's a recognized skill even by Nintendo so there is no room to complain.

I guess you won't be as determined to play the game unless if you go out and buy it =P

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seazn said:
Snaking isn't that hard to pull off... Though I prefer non-snaking.

Remember, fun isn't always about winning
yaynds.gif

Learn to Snake, if you don't want to, stop playing on random and stop complaining about snakers. It's a recognized skill even by Nintendo so there is no room to complain.

-___-
umm
i was making a statement
like as in, its a fact that everyone snakes

QUOTE(Seazn @ Mar 19 2008, 01:31 PM) I guess you won't be as determined to play the game unless if you go out and buy it =P

and FYI i own the game, so i dont know what your trying to say here
and even if i do, it doesnt apply in my case then >.

Flameburst

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't snake. I think its cheap and unfair to those that don't know how to. So I've never bothered learning it. I can tie with my friend who snakes a lot though. I just make my turns really sharp and stay at the edge of the track so I can turn easily and travel less distance. Worked for me. I was only down one game before we both had things to do. The score was like 40-45 or something. It was close enough to be called a tie.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VDubb said:
yeah snaking is dumb
That's probably the lamest first post I've ever seen.

Anyways, on-topic, wouldn't everyone on this board who owns a flashcart have the ability to use AR codes anyway? =_=

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1