Mario Kart 7 & Update

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by So Solid Jedi, Dec 14, 2011.

Dec 14, 2011

Mario Kart 7 & Update by So Solid Jedi at 5:50 PM (3,596 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. So Solid Jedi
    OP

Newcomer So Solid Jedi Member

United Kingdom
    Hi, can anyone tell me how i can play Mario Kart 7 without updating the 3DS Firmware? If this is not possible then can someone please enlighten me on what the update includes and what Firmware number will i be on?

2. Kyouhei

Member Kyouhei Official 任天堂 Lover

Antarctica
    it is impossible, and you will instantly go to 3.0.0.5 no matter what firmware you started at. update is basically eshop update and 3d videos.
    complete list here:

3. So Solid Jedi
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, thanks for the info, i thought the included update with Mario Kart 7 was different to the recent Wifi Update though? I was interpreting it as the updates that come on 3DS games are like incremental system updates kinda like you have with the Nintendo Wii whereby newer games carry small system updates. Can someone clear this up? The ideal solution is if the 3DS was hacked like the Wii, that way we could just boot into an app like Gecko and run the game from there, bypassing the update altogether.

4. Kyouhei

Member Kyouhei Official 任天堂 Lover

Antarctica
    it doesnt matter what updates came inbetween your current firmware and most recent. it puts em all on. no matter what. look here:
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/302773-firmware-update-compilation-thread/

5. So Solid Jedi
    OP

United Kingdom
    All i see from that thread is how u manually update your system from the System Settings, when i put mario kart 7 in it just comes up with

"A system update is required to use this software. Update Now? Cancel/OK."

message, so it doesn't even go into the System Settings.

May i ask do you have Mario Kart 7?

6. frogboy

Member frogboy lacking both style and grace

United States
    You can play without updating... if you're already on the latest firmware :P

EDIT: I believe it will update your system to 2.2.0-4.

7. alucard_xs

alucard_xs Newbie

you are wrong dudes :
    This game updated my 3DS in 2.2.0.4E, that's all.
    But when I connect my console using wifi, it tells me an other update is available (probably the 3.x.X.x) but not need to play mario kart 7 (offline or online)

8. frogboy

United States
    That's what I just said...

9. So Solid Jedi
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for clearing it up guys, i was pretty sure you didn't have to be on the latest firmware to run Mazza Kart. Might update to 2.2.0.4E then, not ideal but if we are waiting for the 3DS to be hacked, i dont think its happening anytime soon, tbh lol.
    I'm just banking on being able to run the Crown3DS Flashcart on v2.2.0.4E if i update but unless we have some kind of time machine or crystal ball i guess we just dont know? Not bothered about using wifi update to go to v3 firmware at the moment, the people who have done this might regret it, i know current DS flashcarts get constant updates but you can't expect the first 3DS flashcart to be able to do this? although i'm hoping so like many others.

btw, i'm still on v1.1.0-0E firmware. its online but no eshop, no web browser, lol i feel like i am missing out on so much.
    Not being funny but i might just try and find another 3DS on the cheap and use that to stay up to date, might be the safest option but is obviously a more expensive alternative.

10. frogboy

United States
    I don't think anyone's even banking on the Crown3DS being legit!

11. So Solid Jedi
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah, your probably right, but i am ever the optimist.
    The firmware can sometimes be an issue though, just look at the problems with the PSP in the early days, if you weren't on 1.00 firmware then u couldn't run unsigned stuff, then they managed to get unsigned stuff running on 1.5 firmware, albeit you had to use 2 directories, but no higher, then slowly got 2.0 firmware working... etc.

12. Hanks6

Member Hanks6 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    firmware v3 is already cracked for DS flash carts, don't see why it wouldn't be as easy to patch a 3DS one too, if such a thing existed. not convinced that it does :D

13. frogboy

United States
    It'll be MUCH more difficult to create a flashcart that can actually RUN 3DS roms...