Hacking Mario galaxy hack possibilities

spirited

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fact is the wiikey is known for not working on an update. I dont know why people even expect one in a timely manner, i've learned to not expect it because it most likely will never come

O

Onishiro

I just hope the wiikey team release an update when the pal game is released, until then I can wait.

But given their record with the previous update I fear there may never be an update.

I think the people responsible for doing the firmware of the chip left the company or something, because the 1.9b looks like something they did and left the company before creating the final version, otherwise I don't think they would have released the leaked beta after so long, instead of doing a proper not beta version.

This also has consistency with their post about the problem of creating a delivery system for the update, because the people responsible for creating the updates left.

My trust in the wiikey team is low, but I hope they prove me wrong.

2cb2ct7

Trophies
XP
Country
I too am thinking about making the switch due to continued support from Team Cyclops and none from Wiikey.

I mean, I already payed for a chip and I am thinking about buying a more expensive chip and opening my Wii all over again to install it. Imagine what the people who haven't decided on a chip yet must thinking...

The onus is on Wiikey to get the update out if they wanna stay in business.

Modchips are a grey area as it is and a fairly cutthroat area at that. News like lack of support for such a big title will spread like wildfire and that will be the end of them...

SPiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fact is the wiikey is known for not working on an update. I dont know why people even expect one in a timely manner, i've learned to not expect it because it most likely will never come

True but this is Mario. I don't think the demand has ever been this high. Fucking up at this point isn't an option for them. Well, I hope anyway.

However if they do I'm getting a new chip.

Burai

Trophies
XP
Country

I think when people talk about these modchip programmers that there's some nice office with guys beavering away on code 9-5.

Give me a break.

It's usually one guy who codes it, sells it to some two-bit electronics manufacturer and runs off with his share of the money. Anyone can call themselves a team or code a nice looking website.

That's how it's always worked. Every now and again you have a team that goes pro such as Team Xecuter, but these are so rare they aren't worth talking about. You were never going to get a pro team with the Wii because the mods were so easy to make. The market was flooded so fast.

It always makes me laugh when people expect "timely customer support" for modchips or flashcards as if somehow there's a team of guys waiting to bust open the latest protection and get a service pack out ASAP. This isn't Microsoft or Apple where their programmers earn a king's ransom to give up their lives. Chances are the original guy is gone to never be heard from again. Maybe he is working on a solution, but real life is getting in the way - I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that studies, work and family would take a much greater priority over fixing modchip code for no monetary gain.

And that's all these modchips are about for the people that make them. Cheaply made PCB's for making money. Fact is that Wiikey as a product is well past it's useful life for the people behind it. New consoles can't be fitted with it, reseller channels are flooded with paid-for stock and clones for those who can use it. Why would you spend more time and money on something which can't make you any more money?

As buyers, you've all had your valuable lesson as to why you don't trust the claims of a company that exists to produce illicit, copyright-circumvention tools. When buying a chip or a flashcard, always buy the thing for what it can do when you buy it, not for what it's manufacturers claim it can do in the future. Because in all probability it has no future and most importantly, you have no comeback.

SPiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think when people talk about these modchip programmers that there's some nice office with guys beavering away on code 9-5.

Give me a break.

It's usually one guy who codes it, sells it to some two-bit electronics manufacturer and runs off with his share of the money. Anyone can call themselves a team or code a nice looking website.

That's how it's always worked. Every now and again you have a team that goes pro such as Team Xecuter, but these are so rare they aren't worth talking about. You were never going to get a pro team with the Wii because the mods were so easy to make. The market was flooded so fast.

It always makes me laugh when people expect "timely customer support" for modchips or flashcards as if somehow there's a team of guys waiting to bust open the latest protection and get a service pack out ASAP. This isn't Microsoft or Apple where their programmers earn a king's ransom to give up their lives. Chances are the original guy is gone to never be heard from again. Maybe he is working on a solution, but real life is getting in the way - I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure that studies, work and family would take a much greater priority over fixing modchip code for no monetary gain.

And that's all these modchips are about for the people that make them. Cheaply made PCB's for making money. Fact is that Wiikey as a product is well past it's useful life for the people behind it. New consoles can't be fitted with it, reseller channels are flooded with paid-for stock and clones for those who can use it. Why would you spend more time and money on something which can't make you any more money?

As buyers, you've all had your valuable lesson as to why you don't trust the claims of a company that exists to produce illicit, copyright-circumvention tools. When buying a chip or a flashcard, always buy the thing for what it can do when you buy it, not for what it's manufacturers claim it can do in the future. Because in all probability it has no future and most importantly, you have no comeback.

Heh funny as I was reading those first couple lines I was thinking well what about Team Xecuter? Anyway what do you figure it costs to bang out these chips in Korea or where ever the fuck? I'm guessing what? About 15 cents? That's a pretty sizable mark up. Someone is making a killing on the Wiikey and if they wish to continue making money in this market it's time to put up or shut up. And no I don't think it's unreasonable to expect updates on a flashable chip. Thats the fucking point of having one.

But nice PR spin.

Yugge

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Give me a break.

Heh funny as I was reading those first couple lines I was thinking well what about Team Xecuter? Anyway what do you figure it costs to bang out these chips in Korea or where ever the fuck? I'm guessing what? About 15 cents? That's a pretty sizable mark up. Someone is making a killing on the Wiikey and if they wish to continue making money in this market it's time to put up or shut up. And no I don't think it's unreasonable to expect updates on a flashable chip. Thats the fucking point of having one.

But nice PR spin.
How about marketing ploy?

jimmyjam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh well. Another Chinese working day almost over. I thought Wiikey would rush out an update or take their time. Guess it looks like the latter...

Burai

Trophies
XP
Country

But nice PR spin.

PR spin? Hey, I'm not sticking up for Wiikey, I'm just spelling out the reality of the situation.

Wiikey is the very definition of a hit-and-run modchip. That's the reality. For it's creator and manufacturer it is long past it's commercial viability. Nobody is buying these things any more because you can't fit them in new Wii's. Anything left in retail channels is the problem of reseller now.

Of course it's in no way unreasonable to expect updates for a flashable chip, but you're always going to be at the mercy of the creator. If the creator doesn't care, you're SOL regardless of how entitled you are. You've got no warranty or licence agreement. You can't just take it back to the store. And you've certainly got no legal comeback - the product you've bought is at best grey in terms of legality and at worst totally illegal.

You can complain or email all you want. There's no more money left to be made from you. They've made their cash and they've moved on. The factory is probably already hard at work making cheap Christmas decorations that will burn your house to the ground.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
aw I was thinking people were discussing hacking the game in some interesting way
frown.gif

SPiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But nice PR spin.

PR spin? Hey, I'm not sticking up for Wiikey, I'm just spelling out the reality of the situation.

Wiikey is the very definition of a hit-and-run modchip. That's the reality. For it's creator and manufacturer it is long past it's commercial viability. Nobody is buying these things any more because you can't fit them in new Wii's. Anything left in retail channels is the problem of reseller now.

Of course it's in no way unreasonable to expect updates for a flashable chip, but you're always going to be at the mercy of the creator. If the creator doesn't care, you're SOL regardless of how entitled you are. You've got no warranty or licence agreement. You can't just take it back to the store. And you've certainly got no legal comeback - the product you've bought is at best grey in terms of legality and at worst totally illegal.

You can complain or email all you want. There's no more money left to be made from you. They've made their cash and they've moved on. The factory is probably already hard at work making cheap Christmas decorations that will burn your house to the ground.

If that were the case why bother with updates at all? They posted what? 3 within 24 hours? If they just up and abandon the user base now there is no chance of a Wiikey 2.0. They are making money (or at least have) and would probably like to continue doing so. With mod chips your rep is EVERYTHING. It's not like they can advertise on Saturday morning cartoons. For example, I was happy with my Xecuter 1 chip for my xbox. I installed them because the hardware quality was great and so was the support. I then went on to do the same with the 2, 3, and 3CE. When someone asked me what chip to get guess what I said? Xecuter. That shit is important. If the Wiikey Team (whatever that may be) fucks this up that is never going to happen and they effectively remove themselves from the market. Personally I think they have more to gain by establishing a name brand than from a 'hit and run.'

Also, there are plenty of people who do this kind of stuff because they ya know...enjoy it. The xbox has an amazing homebrew scene and no one is making anything off that.

fixmyjapwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This doesn't only apply to Mario, but also all newer games which are on the way - does anyone know if it's possible to REMOVE a modchip and replace it with a new one? I'm one of the genius's with a Wiikey in their Wii... As much as I wanna play Mario, it's more about future games I'll wanna play...
plus the Wiikey's glitchy as hell ><

Question #2: would a purchased copy of Mario raise hell on a modded system??

Thx

SPiko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't only apply to Mario, but also all newer games which are on the way - does anyone know if it's possible to REMOVE a modchip and replace it with a new one? I'm one of the genius's with a Wiikey in their Wii... As much as I wanna play Mario, it's more about future games I'll wanna play...
plus the Wiikey's glitchy as hell ><

Question #2: would a purchased copy of Mario raise hell on a modded system??

Thx

It will be a pain in the ass if you didn't do a wired install. And ya, retail games should work. I think. We won't know for sure until people have them.

snailsupreme

Trophies
XP
Country
retail games do work.

I think wikey team should release the soure code, let someone else have a go.
If there wernt for the clones i think it would be the best for them to go open source (personally i want them to). But since there are clones i dont see the point in giving away the only thing that prevents people from buying the clones (ie making non-clone-updatealbe code). From the wiikey author pow.

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this is basically a WiiKey thread...

Posted over at...

http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-news/...ing-wiikey.html

QUOTE said:
For those of you waiting for the Wiikey update to correct "Super Mario Galaxy" issues, here are some tidbits of information...

* The original Wiikey coder, reponsible for previous delays, is no longer working on it. The update is being authored by the same team responsible for D2Ckey.

* CyloWiz was already working on an update to improve code transfers and, by pure luck, it also fixed SMG. This is how they were able to issue an update so quickly.

* The Wiikey update is being written from scratch by the D2Ckey coding team. This takes time and will, most likely, be a more stable environment than the previously available (unfinished by the original coder) firmware v1.9

The Wiikey Team is fully aware of how anxious everyone is for this update and they are fully committed to providing a working and stable update.

iSynic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this is basically a WiiKey thread...

Posted over at...

http://psx-scene.com/forums/nintendo-news/...ing-wiikey.html

QUOTE said:
For those of you waiting for the Wiikey update to correct "Super Mario Galaxy" issues, here are some tidbits of information...

* The original Wiikey coder, reponsible for previous delays, is no longer working on it. The update is being authored by the same team responsible for D2Ckey.

* CyloWiz was already working on an update to improve code transfers and, by pure luck, it also fixed SMG. This is how they were able to issue an update so quickly.

* The Wiikey update is being written from scratch by the D2Ckey coding team. This takes time and will, most likely, be a more stable environment than the previously available (unfinished by the original coder) firmware v1.9

The Wiikey Team is fully aware of how anxious everyone is for this update and they are fully committed to providing a working and stable update.

Good to know. Thanks, I'd been refreshing this forum and totally forgot to read psx-scene.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe but is it worth it?