Mario Builder 64 is the N64's answer to Super Mario Maker

1716137398595.png

With the vast success of Super Mario Maker and its Switch sequel Super Mario Maker 2, Nintendo fans have long been calling for "Maker" titles for other iconic genres and series. In 2017 we saw Mega Man Maker, and since then we've seen a range of various Zelda-esque dungeon makers pop up (with another one due to release in just nine days!). While these releases do a fantastic job of capturing the spirit of their respective games, they're often released as PC games using unique assets such as to avoid scrutiny from the powers that be. What's far more unique is a Maker title not only built in the engine of its game, but one that even runs on native hardware. It's here we introduce Mario Builder 64.

Built on top of the source code for SM64: Beyond the Cursed Mirror, Mario Builder 64 is a fully-featured Super Mario 64 level creator with everything you could want to build and share your very own Super Mario 64 stages. The game is available now and can be downloaded as a patch here. Be aware that while this will work on both flashcards and emulators, only emulators that support virtual SD card emulation are supported. According to the setup guide, Parallel Launcher is the only emulator currently available with such support.

1716136858580.png

I was able to get it setup myself with no real issues outside of my Nintendo Switch Online N64 controller needing to be setup in Parallel Launcher. Once that was sorted, the game booted with no issues, and I got stuck in trying it out. It's a seamless experience to the point of it feeling like it really should be official, and I'm incredibly excited to see what the community comes up with. Adding levels is as easy as mounting the virtual SD card and grabbing the mb64 file from a friend or other online source, and those on flashcards obviously don't need to worry about virtual SD cards.

Will you be checking out Mario Builder 64? Are you eager to make a level or just try what the community comes up with? Share your thoughts below!

:arrow: Source

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normally this would be one of those, "oh would have loved that as a kid", but I can honestly say I would have never DREAMED of something like this was possible, even as soon as 5 years ago. Truly incredible work.

If only years of mindless, extremely lucrative drone work hadn't crushed whatever creativity I had left :unsure:

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure everyone is posting DMCA jokes for the lol's, but if you actually believe any of that, download this thing NOW!

I tried it out this afternoon, it's pretty amazing. I always liked Mario 64 levels because you had to explore to figure out how to get all of the stars... unlike Sunshine where it was like, "here's this really suspicious amusement park ride that looks like nothing else in the level, there can't possibly be a star here...". I'm pretty sure people are just going to use this to make platforming challenge levels though (nothing wrong with that, but who among us can say they really liked Tick Tock Clock?)

LoggerMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo ought to be doing this kind of stuff themselves. I guess they have no rush to do it, they could make it and add it to NSO whenever they want. 10 years from now, 20 years from now.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Doesn't matter. It's already released now. Unlike the drooling idiots who hype this stuff up BEFORE a release, this guy was smart enough not to expose it before releasing it on to the world-wide web
But he actually did expose it before it was released, lol. He was just lucky that it didn't get much attention before the release.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nintendo with two choices here:

1. Take a deep reflection: "wow I wish we'd thought of this, and it's completely open so we can just use the idea ourselves!"
2. "Lawyers out"
In reality it'd be a combination of both. First they'll send their lawyers to sue and ruin the man's life, next they'll steal the idea and claim it for their own.

Anyone remember Mario Royale?

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In reality it'd be a combination of both. First they'll send their lawyers to sue and ruin the man's life, next they'll steal the idea and claim it for their own.

Anyone remember Mario Royale?
Yeah and they gave up on it unless I’m wrong, I barely played their version.I think it lasted less than a year. I never got a chance to play Mario Royal though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good. My homemade ice cream machine started rust inside so I pitched it, but gotta get a new one, miss making my own ice cream, esp with booze.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZVQF0yPnTc +1