Man Beats Pokemon Ruby... WITH A MAJIKARP

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Lukerz, May 8, 2017.

1. Lukerz
    OP

Lukerz Sloth. That's it.

Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Maryland
    Pokemon is a game that can truly last for years — even if the player has to enforce their own house rules to extend the experience. One Pokemon player has now finished a huge quest to complete Pokemon Ruby with a seriously underpowered team.[​IMG]

Streamer Leomon, began this epic undertaking back in 2011, broadcasting the adventure via a service called NicoNico. His playthrough Pokemon Ruby was unlike most others, as he was committed to beating the game and becoming a Pokemon master while using just one pocket monster, the ALMOST-useless Magikarp. In the Fishy’s defense, it was a Shiny majikarp — even though that distinction only offers a slightly different color palette, rather than any advanced capabilities. For the less knowledgeable, the water Pokemon starts out with only the move Splash, a nigh-on-useless technique.
    Leomon was forced to outlast opponents, plying Magikarp with health-restoring potions until his enemies ran out of PP, and began to hurt themselves this is an incredibly time-inefficient
    way to play the game, which explains why it took the player six years to complete the task. (A waste of time? Na worth it for sure.)

Magikarp was not the only pokemon Leomon used, since the mechanics of Pokemon Ruby dictate that Pokemon of other types are required to learn moves via HM and access certain areas. However, when it came to battling, the fish was the lone wolf, reaching level 75 by the time all was said and done.
    Last 30 min of his quest:

Last edited by Lukerz, May 9, 2017

2. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Makes me wonder what the other pokemon thought when battling him.

"WHY AREN'T YOU DONE YET? WHY DO YOU KEEP SPLASHING?? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA *loses all hps*"

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Xabring likes this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    if you wrote this text, you got my support to be a reporter.

but i have several questions...
    how many cheats did he used (it's a shiny after all, he had to use at least that cheat)
    did he start the game with magikarp as starter?
    in the event of his magikarp died how did he continue the task? since he has HM slaves (required by the game), if the magikarp dies, technically, unless he suicides in that battle he is usingthe other pokemons as well if he uses revives while the magikarp is dead..
    did he used just 1 magikarp or several?
    is there any videos of this accomplishment?

Last edited by migles, May 8, 2017
  4. ov3rkill

ov3rkill GBAtemp Maniac

May 10, 2009
    Australia
    in a cardboard box
    More info and details, please. This news is pretty much interesting and funny.
    Any videos or links would be great or just answer @migles posts.

5. Rick Astley

Rick Astley The real one !

Apr 1, 2015
    This has been a thing on FR too a few years ago. Using X-Powers etc once Tackle was learnt. Still impressive.

Well about Shiny and starters questions, there're many possibility. For Shiny no cheat is needed at all. The user could just had hunt it on another game and traded it to the Ruby or just RNG'd it from an other 3rd Gen game and transfered it to the main game.

Even if he was using a ROM and emulator, as far as I know, rom hacking (Starter Editing) was not a thing and the Randomizer not out. Except Cheat Code for having the Magikarp at first intention... But no Shiny Cheat Code on Ruby, so theory from another game is the most possible.

6. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's official dragon look-alike axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your bed
    Something smells fishy about this...

But if this is indeed true, congrats to the player then, 6 years sure is a lot of time :blink:

7. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    So I get that this would be hard, but was the streamer allowed to teach his Majikarp tackle?

8. Dionicio3

Dionicio3 Some Cool Skiddo

Feb 26, 2017
    United States
    Hollister, CA
    Well, there was that one person who beat the X&Y elite four with only one magikarp

RustInPeace likes this.
  9. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    holy shit, this just blew my mind.......why would anyone waste 6 YEARS to beat a game ?

10. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in the first post, OP says it's pokemon ruby, with a picture of the gba game, he also says the dude beggan the quest in 2011, which is even before pokemon black2 white2
    so no x powers thingy
    of course you can RNG meaning he didn't started the game with a magikarp.. so this gave him an advantage..
    he can also trade it from another game, meaning as well the magikarp could be like level 60 or something making the task much more easy..
    i am really thinking because leveling the magikarp right in the beggining of the game, is one of the biggest problems
    if he swapped out the starter just after the poochyena battle, that would be epic

11. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    he means the X battle items (X attk,def,spcl attk dire hit ect) Items that boost stats in battle considerimg Magickarp can ONLY learn splash and tackle (and considering tackle is the ONLY damage move with such a week base attack Magikarp can't learn stat altering moves so yeah

12. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    still a better trainer than Ash.

Pluupy, nxwing and Dionicio3 like this.
  13. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    :creep:

14. Lukerz
    OP

Lukerz Sloth. That's it.

Apr 24, 2017
    United States
    Maryland
    I have no clue about the process of becoming a reporter but I have always considered myself a decent writer and i have taken two years of journalism classes. Were do I start with becoming one? I am unsure about his rules as far as TM slaves. I'll look more into it.

15. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    I was going to ask if that was the same guy. Impressive nevertheless.

16. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Makes me want to dig out my Pokemon Emerald cartridge that has no internal clock anymore.

17. migles

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    continue to write good stuff, you will be noticed, the job will come for you..

18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Older pokemon games were so easy if you only trained 1 pokemon, the game was actually way easier than if you tried to have a team.
    Obviously magikarp had garbage stats and only tackle, but it's more a feat of time spent than much else (since tackle is effective against most everything). If magikarp was overlevelled (which it was) it'd be able to take on most things with only tackle, and healing items would make things a fair bit easier.

I'm curious how he beat ghost pokemon though. Agatha has 3 and that alone seems pretty impossible to beat. Since gen 1 struggle dealt normal damage too.

19. Felek666

Felek666 Demonically Uncontrollable

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Woah.
    I myself beated Pokemon Red with a lvl.30 Charmander [Massive grind at the starting area] and nothing else. Everything is easy if you grind.

20. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Wait for them to struggle themselves to death, I guess?

What I'm curious about is how he afforded the ridiculous amount of potions needed to keep up that struggle strategy before Karp learns Tackle.