Man Beats Pokemon Ruby... WITH A MAJIKARP

ATofix

Sloth. That's it.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon is a game that can truly last for years — even if the player has to enforce their own house rules to extend the experience. One Pokemon player has now finished a huge quest to complete Pokemon Ruby with a seriously underpowered team.
zfv5x293zbubeq2a5mvh.jpg

Streamer Leomon, began this epic undertaking back in 2011, broadcasting the adventure via a service called NicoNico. His playthrough Pokemon Ruby was unlike most others, as he was committed to beating the game and becoming a Pokemon master while using just one pocket monster, the ALMOST-useless Magikarp. In the Fishy’s defense, it was a Shiny majikarp — even though that distinction only offers a slightly different color palette, rather than any advanced capabilities. For the less knowledgeable, the water Pokemon starts out with only the move Splash, a nigh-on-useless technique.
Leomon was forced to outlast opponents, plying Magikarp with health-restoring potions until his enemies ran out of PP, and began to hurt themselves this is an incredibly time-inefficient
way to play the game, which explains why it took the player six years to complete the task. (A waste of time? Na worth it for sure.)

Magikarp was not the only pokemon Leomon used, since the mechanics of Pokemon Ruby dictate that Pokemon of other types are required to learn moves via HM and access certain areas. However, when it came to battling, the fish was the lone wolf, reaching level 75 by the time all was said and done.
Last 30 min of his quest:

Last edited by ATofix,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
if you wrote this text, you got my support to be a reporter.

but i have several questions...
how many cheats did he used (it's a shiny after all, he had to use at least that cheat)
did he start the game with magikarp as starter?
in the event of his magikarp died how did he continue the task? since he has HM slaves (required by the game), if the magikarp dies, technically, unless he suicides in that battle he is usingthe other pokemons as well if he uses revives while the magikarp is dead..
did he used just 1 magikarp or several?
is there any videos of this accomplishment?

Last edited by migles,

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
This has been a thing on FR too a few years ago. Using X-Powers etc once Tackle was learnt. Still impressive.

Well about Shiny and starters questions, there're many possibility. For Shiny no cheat is needed at all. The user could just had hunt it on another game and traded it to the Ruby or just RNG'd it from an other 3rd Gen game and transfered it to the main game.

Even if he was using a ROM and emulator, as far as I know, rom hacking (Starter Editing) was not a thing and the Randomizer not out. Except Cheat Code for having the Magikarp at first intention... But no Shiny Cheat Code on Ruby, so theory from another game is the most possible.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something smells fishy about this...

But if this is indeed true, congrats to the player then, 6 years sure is a lot of time :blink:

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
This has been a thing on FR too a few years ago. Using X-Powers etc once Tackle was learnt. Still impressive.
in the first post, OP says it's pokemon ruby, with a picture of the gba game, he also says the dude beggan the quest in 2011, which is even before pokemon black2 white2
so no x powers thingy
Well about Shiny and starters questions, there're many possibility. For Shiny no cheat is needed at all. The user could just had hunt it on another game and traded it to the Ruby or just RNG'd it from an other 3rd Gen game and transfered it to the main game.
of course you can RNG meaning he didn't started the game with a magikarp.. so this gave him an advantage..
he can also trade it from another game, meaning as well the magikarp could be like level 60 or something making the task much more easy..
i am really thinking because leveling the magikarp right in the beggining of the game, is one of the biggest problems
if he swapped out the starter just after the poochyena battle, that would be epic

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the first post, OP says it's pokemon ruby, with a picture of the gba game, he also says the dude beggan the quest in 2011, which is even before pokemon black2 white2
so no x powers thingy

of course you can RNG meaning he didn't started the game with a magikarp.. so this gave him an advantage..
he can also trade it from another game, meaning as well the magikarp could be like level 60 or something making the task much more easy..
i am really thinking because leveling the magikarp right in the beggining of the game, is one of the biggest problems
if he swapped out the starter just after the poochyena battle, that would be epic

he means the X battle items (X attk,def,spcl attk dire hit ect) Items that boost stats in battle considerimg Magickarp can ONLY learn splash and tackle (and considering tackle is the ONLY damage move with such a week base attack Magikarp can't learn stat altering moves so yeah

ATofix

Sloth. That's it.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you wrote this text, you got my support to be a reporter.

but i have several questions...
how many cheats did he used (it's a shiny after all, he had to use at least that cheat)
did he start the game with magikarp as starter?
in the event of his magikarp died how did he continue the task? since he has HM slaves (required by the game), if the magikarp dies, technically, unless he suicides in that battle he is usingthe other pokemons as well if he uses revives while the magikarp is dead..
did he used just 1 magikarp or several?
is there any videos of this accomplishment?
I have no clue about the process of becoming a reporter but I have always considered myself a decent writer and i have taken two years of journalism classes. Were do I start with becoming one? I am unsure about his rules as far as TM slaves. I'll look more into it.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I have no clue about the process of becoming a reporter but I have always considered myself a decent writer and i have taken two years of journalism classes. Were do I start with becoming one? I am unsure about his rules as far as TM slaves. I'll look more into it.
continue to write good stuff, you will be noticed, the job will come for you..

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Older pokemon games were so easy if you only trained 1 pokemon, the game was actually way easier than if you tried to have a team.
Obviously magikarp had garbage stats and only tackle, but it's more a feat of time spent than much else (since tackle is effective against most everything). If magikarp was overlevelled (which it was) it'd be able to take on most things with only tackle, and healing items would make things a fair bit easier.

I'm curious how he beat ghost pokemon though. Agatha has 3 and that alone seems pretty impossible to beat. Since gen 1 struggle dealt normal damage too.

D

Deleted User

Woah.
I myself beated Pokemon Red with a lvl.30 Charmander [Massive grind at the starting area] and nothing else. Everything is easy if you grind.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Older pokemon games were so easy if you only trained 1 pokemon, the game was actually way easier than if you tried to have a team.
Obviously magikarp had garbage stats and only tackle, but it's more a feat of time spent than much else (since tackle is effective against most everything). If magikarp was overlevelled (which it was) it'd be able to take on most things with only tackle, and healing items would make things a fair bit easier.

I'm curious how he beat ghost pokemon though. Agatha has 3 and that alone seems pretty impossible to beat. Since gen 1 struggle dealt normal damage too.
Wait for them to struggle themselves to death, I guess?

What I'm curious about is how he afforded the ridiculous amount of potions needed to keep up that struggle strategy before Karp learns Tackle.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards