Hacking Making the shift to UNEEK+DI

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i recommend using uneek without DI for your channels unlimited space is nice and sticking with your usb loader and wbfs files for games, that's what i do. then install bootmii configuration editor
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=252364&hl=
on your sd card for use with homebrew channel on normal nand and the forwarder wad on your sneek nand then use it to switch back and forth.

it's the best option until if and when sorgelig releases his program.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jefffisher, that sounds perfect! How exactly does the bootmi config editor set up the switching on the fly like that? Do I understand that you have a forwarder on the sneek nand that reboots into the normal nand, and to get back to sneek you run ... what exactly?

Is there a forwarder that I can install on my normal nand that will launch my sneek nand? What about the other way around? I'd rather boot into my normal nand if I'm still playing the majority of my games on my USB Loader.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just put your regular bootmii configuration in the bootmii folder and the sneek one in the ~bootmii folder, then when you load the app up press B and it will switch.

because of the way bootmii boot2 works it will autoboot sneek everytime it's on that folder so no there can't be a forwarder channel your wii will either boot to sneek or normal you can't boot to normal then load sneek from there, you have to boot whichever it is on and switch with the config editor program.

also you want to disable the autoupdate in the configuration editor as that feature takes 10x longer than actually using the program.

the way i have mine set up is sneek in ~bootmii and the other one i have the regular bootmii files configured to autoboot to homebrew channel since i rarely/never use the real system menu on the real wii.

once sorgelig releases his files there will be a much better way to do this but i'm going to and think everyone should wait a while before bothering him again as a few people made him very angry, and we really need his work.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
currently modmii can only batch convert ISO files for uneek+di, so u would need to use a program like wiibackupmanager to convert them to ISO first

or, wiij manager can do them one at a time from any format to any other format, i think u need java installed for it to run properly

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd have to agree with what some of the others are saying, and make sure of some things before you make the jump.

For instance, a problem I had that pissed me off and ended up wasting a good bit of my time was that my first hard drive wasn't compatible with sneek, and I just did a bulk conversion process.

What I'd do if I were you, convert the drive to use fat32, and in the process convert your games to .wbfs. Then get a small game or something, and set it up to work with sneek/uneek. If it works, and you like it, then great. If not, then be glad you have something at least more efficient than pure WBFS for the entire drive.
smile.gif

It should be noted that FAT32 + .wbfs files are far more efficient than WBFS filesystem for the whole drive. And I mean gigs of savings. This is not to mention easier management and stability, since all modern operating systems that are worth speaking of support FAT32.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the support guys. My machine is currently working on extracting all my games from my WBFS partition to a mule drive in .wbfs format. I'll then wipe the WBFS drive and make it FAT32 and move the games over.

I had a question about the sneek nand and homebrew: I think I've set up my SD card with a copy of my real nand using snowmiiwads from a dump I made. Assuming that works, what do I need to do to get updated on the sneek nand to 4.2 without breaking the ability to install wads of VC and WW games? How does one go about installing wads on a sneek nand? I have YAWMM on my SD card, but won't upgrading my sneek nand to 4.2 (and won't it automatically go to 4.3 at this point anyway?) kill any of the homebrew possibilities on that nand? How can I install either the wad manager as a channel or install the HBC in my sneek nand?

I did find the guide on this page: http://gbatemp.net/t218725-sneek-di-quick-guide? but wondered if there was a more simple way that I was missing.

s3phir0th115

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hooya said:
Thanks for the support guys. My machine is currently working on extracting all my games from my WBFS partition to a mule drive in .wbfs format. I'll then wipe the WBFS drive and make it FAT32 and move the games over.

I had a question about the sneek nand and homebrew: I think I've set up my SD card with a copy of my real nand using snowmiiwads from a dump I made. Assuming that works, what do I need to do to get updated on the sneek nand to 4.2 without breaking the ability to install wads of VC and WW games? How does one go about installing wads on a sneek nand? I have YAWMM on my SD card, but won't upgrading my sneek nand to 4.2 (and won't it automatically go to 4.3 at this point anyway?) kill any of the homebrew possibilities on that nand? How can I install either the wad manager as a channel or install the HBC in my sneek nand?

When you use something like wad manager in sneek, any content you want to install will install, regardless of signatures and installed IOS. But, custom IOSes mess up on it a lot, so use a clean wad ios with it.

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
s3phir0th115 said:
Hooya said:

When you use something like wad manager in sneek, any content you want to install will install, regardless of signatures and installed IOS. But, custom IOSes mess up on it a lot, so use a clean wad ios with it.

How do I go about installing it though? Do I have to put it in manually like the guide that I linked? I really don't need to copy my own nand, but I want my save files from my real nand on my sneek, and I want to install wads. HBC isn't really that necessary, but maybe it's the easiest way?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use showmiiwads to install the wads on your pc don't use your wii to install the wads at all.

just use your real nand it will be easiest you can also update all isos and the system menu with showmiiwads i believe no need to use your wii for any of that stuff it will be way easier on the computer

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so I can just take my nand dump, have showmiiwads update it and install the wads I want there. Seems easy enough.

I just wish showmiiwads worked on Linux natively instead of having to do it all in a virtual machine. Slows my computer to a crawl....

It's only going to be another 5 hours of transferring files around various hard drives before I can really get this set up.... ugh....

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O.o wow that's a long time, damn i forgot about the linux thing maybe doing everything on your wii would be a better option.

Pawel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm looking for information, I have uneek dl, I know that for emunand sd it should be fat 32 and 32 kb klaster and can a usb drive be fat32 64kb? Or sd 32kb cluster vs. usb 64kb cluster? Is it possible? Sorry for any mistake 😅🙂

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O