Hacking Making a Partition on Hard drive

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm trying to make a bigger partition for my usb hard drive yesterday, and I am told to use swiss knife.
I get the program, run it, and go to change the NTSF to FAT. The shit program crashes, and now I can't access the hard drive.
I can access it in device manager but it doesn't show up in "Computer" on a Windows 7 32 bit.
Just wanted to know if there is fix to this or am I screwed?
Thanks in advance.
P.S Yes I did back up everything from the hard drive.

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Binxy said:
So I'm trying to make a bigger partition for my usb hard drive yesterday, and I am told to use swiss knife.
I get the program, run it, and go to change the NTSF to FAT. The shit program crashes, and now I can't access the hard drive.
I can access it in device manager but it doesn't show up in "Computer" on a Windows 7 32 bit.
Just wanted to know if there is fix to this or am I screwed?
Thanks in advance.
P.S Yes I did back up everything from the hard drive.
So when you plug it into the computer it doesn't show up?

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, pretty much.
When I have the drive plugged in and I click on computer it takes FOREVER to access it.

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Binxy said:
Well, pretty much.
When I have the drive plugged in and I click on computer it takes FOREVER to access it.
Plug in your drive first then follow the instructions.

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click System and Maintenance.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then in the left pane, click Disk Management.
4. Right-click the drive, partition, logical drive, or volume for which you want to assign a drive letter, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Add.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter (if it is not already selected), either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
7. Go back to Computer and check if the drive is listed there.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried to do what you said but I run into a problem.
I get into my control panel, and I see a tab called "system" but not "system and maintenance".
Unless you meant system then maintenance?
If that being the case. I click on system and my options on the left are. Device manager, Remote settings, system protection, and advance system settings.

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Binxy said:
I get into my control panel, and I see a tab called "system" but not "system and maintenance".
If that being the case. I click on system and my options on the left are. Device manager, Remote settings, system protection, and advance system settings.
1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security (should be there), clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.
2. In the Navigation pane, click Disk Management.
3. Right-click the partition or drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click Add, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

I don't really know, I don't own Windows 7. Also I forgot you were even on Windows 7.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kryptical said:
Binxy said:
1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security (should be there), clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management.
3. Right-click the partition or drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
4. Assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click Add, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

I don't really know, I don't own Windows 7. Also I forgot you were even on Windows 7.
Fixed

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hakoda said:
Kryptical said:
Binxy said:

Fixed
Thanks lol.

@OP - Read my edit.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that didn't work. I double click disk management, and it just sits at "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service".

I think I'm pretty much screwed.
Thanks for the help anyways.

Think I'll throw it off the roof of my house so I can atleast get some enjoyment out of it.

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Binxy said:
Well that didn't work. I double click disk management, and it just sits at "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service".

Think I'll throw it off the roof of my house so I can atleast get some enjoyment out of it.
It just sits there? So it can't even detect your C drive?

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Binxy said:

Wait a bit more. It could still be gathering information. You could always try GParted LivecD.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Took a look at GParted LivecD, and it says something about Linux x86 computers.
What does that mean? I am on Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.
Will this hurt my computer?
I mean it is one thing to lose a hard drive but the entire computer would down right suck.

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Binxy said:
Took a look at GParted LivecD, and it says something about Linux x86 computers.
What does that mean? I am on Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.
Will this hurt my computer?
I mean it is one thing to lose a hard drive but the entire computer would down right suck.
On the topic of your hard drive, I think that you have damaged it or the partitions are messed up in a serious way. You also probably reverted to a RAW drive which will make your drive lose its data.

I reread your post, thowing it off your house made me lol.

t^2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
When partitioning, I find that Acronis Disk Director is one of the best. You can run it from inside Windows, or you can make a bootable USB key containing it. For your current problem, if you cannot get into Admin Tools -> Disk Management (give it some time) and assign a drive letter, it might be worth just nuking the drive since you backed up your data. I mean, there's software that could likely fix the filesystem but it would take just as long as nuking it if not longer.

If you do manage to assign a drive letter and you can't access the filesystem, try this:
Start -> Run -> type "cmd" without quotes and press enter
Try the following commands, where "x" is your drive letter:
chkdsk /i x:
chkdsk /r x:

A similar problem happened to me about 6 months ago, but it was more my fault. My data also was not backed up, and though I was able to run a program to recover it, the whole process took about 3 days. And that was on a pretty fast machine.

Hope this helps.

Edit: If you do wish to recover your partitions, you probably can. Find some recovery software, it should be able to fix your corrupt filesystem. But again, this will take a very long time and if you have your files backed up it really isn't worth it.

Binxy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got the hard drive to show up on disc management and it was set in RAW format. Trying to format and it is sitting at 12% right now.
Hope this works.
Well if not I ordered a 2tb hard drive on friday.

Kryptical

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Binxy said:
So I got the hard drive to show up on disc management and it was set in RAW format. Trying to format and it is sitting at 12% right now.
Hope this works.
Well if not I ordered a 2tb hard drive on friday.
Yes, if you are formatting then it will work. But incase it didn't work, when you throw it off your house make a video of it and post it on youtube lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o