Major SD Card Problems

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by seanrhodes05, Aug 29, 2019.

1. seanrhodes05
    OP

seanrhodes05 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2018
    United States
    I've been having loads of problems using my SD Card on my Switch
    First issue was that no matter what I did, I could not get Super Mario Odyssey to run at all (It always crashed the game on boot and I tried redownloading the XCI, uninstalling my updates, deleting all data, downloading and installing a fresh NSP with latest update, downloading the latest update and using a physical copy of Super Mario Odyssey, etc.)

Then came the serious borderline console breaking issues

It all started when I was booting up SXOS, everything was going fine until while it was booting up (At the Nintendo logo/Nintendo Switch logo) I attached a pair of Joycons that had been lost for months. (DISCLAIMER: I highly doubt the SD Card issues were related to this but I thought I should include it anyways). When it booted up my theme was gone and everything ran incredibly slow and lagged on the home menu (For example, taking 30+ seconds to load the select user when launching a game menu) I tried going to the SXOS menu but it locked up and never changed from the home screen when I went into the gallery.
    I rebooted hoping that would solve the problem but things only got worse from there.

When I rebooted I got the "Boot.dat?" screen that appears when you don't have the boot.dat file on your SD card/Have no SD card in it at all. I tried cleaning all of the parts and rebooting countless times until I put it into my computer to try to investigate the problem.
    Absolutely everything read fine on my computer! So I inserted it back into the Switch and it worked! Super Mario Odyssey still didn't work but oh well at least I got the Switch to boot, right? Wrong. The Switch crashed while attempting to once again try to reinstall Super Mario Odyssey and when I booted it back up the same thing happened. "Boot.dat?"
    So once again I put the SD card into my computer, everything looked fine and when I put it back into the switch it booted up!

Then I began to see a pattern.
    Console turn off/reboot = All SD card functionality broken
    Putting the SD card into my computer, taking it out, and putting it back into the Switch = Some-what working again
    I tested it multiple times and this is exactly what was happening.

If anybody at all has any sort of explanation or suggestions to fix this disaster I would be more than overjoyed, even if the suggestion doesn't work because even then it's at least one thing I know won't work

2. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    How about the obvious one. Try a different SD card?

3. Puppydogpals

Puppydogpals GBAtemp Regular

Feb 19, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Possibly fake sd

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

4. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    I second this. Probably a fake. Time to test it. People should never buy SD card from ebay or aliexpress, especially if the price seems too good to be true.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted