macbook.

jono_

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im about to go and buy a 2000AUD macbook.

my reasons.
its 13", i don't want a massive entertainment monstor screen.
its apple, i trust the quality
its pretty powerful. with its dual core and all.
dvd dual layer burner.
it sure looks pretty.

any reasons why i shouldnt?

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, $2000 AU is a shitload of money (well maybe you're rich lol) So be careful about your purchase.

Looks are not important, trust me.

Dual Layer burners are pretty much standard these days (unless you go real el cheapo)

Apple doesn't neccessarily mean good quality. They are a major brand so that's a plus but their recent popularity has spurred from ipod's popularity, not their computers.

Many say Macs are great for Art and Design, but realistically windows has just as much to offer in that regard.

What programs/things will your be primarily be using your computer for? If you aren't primarily using it for Art/design, don't get a mac.

The majority of programs are designed for windows.

Of course it is possible to install dual OS these days.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Disclaimer: I'm a "mac guy"

That said.. Good choice. I use a PC too, but since I'm not an avid PC gamer, I don't really use it too much. There's some nifty stuff for both machines and the dual core macs give you the best of both worlds. Depending on your PC needs, you can opt to dual boot with perfect (I assume) compatibility and speed or just run PC stuff in a window when you need to. I won't say the build quality is any better that a Dell or Alienware laptop, and you may pay a little more, but those macbooks are just farking sweet and in my opinion, worth the extra.

Of course if you're primarily using it to play games, get a PC. *winks at OSW*
wink.gif

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Heh, good points Mthr! (Although i don't play too many games, i use alot of XP only programs)

Suppose i should have added "Disclaimer: I'm a "windows guy"

Macs do look reasonably nice too. For a rich kid that might be one of your priorities
happy.gif
i dunno.

And Dell built quality isn't anything special (from my experience), i don't know how macs are.

jono_

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
im no rich kid, but i have an interest in art.

the only graphical adventure im interested in is made my lucasarts.
so no im not a hardcore gamer.

yeah i plan to dual boot.

also any laptop ive looked at with better/equal features but with similar prices seam cheaply made. cases seem flimsy, quality of build not so good.

edit: mthrnite, can you recommend a decent tablet, with a decent price tag
wink.gif

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I looove apples.. don't have one though
frown.gif
to expensive for this poor student!

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
Macbook (not pro) in here. It's really great and i never thought that i would have found so much programs for the mac.
smile.gif

And if i want i can always add XP, Vista or Linux on it. ^^

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
edit: mthrnite, can you recommend a decent tablet, with a decent price tag
wink.gif
I'd go with a Wacom 6x8".
Here's a recent topic about Wacoms.
Your choices are an Intuos or Graphire, the main diff being pressure levels and pen tilt.
Compare them here, but buy from somebody cheaper.
I used one until ADB went out of favor, and loved it. My next one will be a Graphire probably, I'm not too worried about the differences in the Intuos line since I'm not really an artist and all.

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am posting from a macbook, got it a while ago the 2ghz core 2 duo + 1GB ram. Windows progs are not a problem with bootcamp I advise making the partition about 10GB, I use my windows partition to pogram mostly in c sharp (RomeR) and play shot-online works great.

I definitley advise a macbook, and get a mighty mouse with it
biggrin.gif

Phrostay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
but realistically windows has just as much to offer in that regard.

lolololololol....umm I don't see final cut studio 2 on windows. Do you get iLife with windows? out of the box??? I don't think so. I was a PC user for 12 years as soon as I swtiched to mac their was no going back. I still use my PC for eMule but that's about it...the only other thing it does is make my eyes bleed everytime I look at it
rofl2.gif
things that stole me away from the Windows world:

MacOS - The main reason I switched.
Style - The Macs look damn good.
Build - My iMac is fukin solid as.
Price - Wasn't expensive at all compared to PC I was looking at, in fact the PC was more expensive
blink.gif

Get Windows if you wanna game.

I've also tried Linux for many years as well but hell Linux has no vision and no dictator leading em on
tongue.gif
Linux for servers only me thinks.

BTW don't forget your 10% student discount when buying your Mac.

D

Deleted User

I've also got a macbook (2GHz / 2 GB Ram / white) and I totally love it. Ordered it sometime in February when I sold my iBook on eBay.

I must admit, I work almost exclusively on a Mac since 1998 and got the iBook (first personal mac) in 2004 or so because I wanted a 'nice' notebook. I'm working as a (cross-)media designer, which maybe a reason for me favouring Macs.

Long story short: Get a macbook if you're not a gamer. Everything mthrnite already said can be considered 'seconded' by me. And you can play almost every Lucasarts Adventure on it with ScummVM (but I assume you already knew that).
smile.gif

suppachipmunk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am mainly a PC man. Are the newer games coming out for both PC and Mac?

deufeufeu, where can I learn of this 20% student discount you speak of?

Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted User

it seems that the apple on campus program is limited to some european countries, like France and Germany.

friedchicken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i wont support apple products until they lower their prices.
mad.gif

edit: the dell xps laptops are good. i've used it to play counter strike
rofl2.gif
in regards with graphics, what adobe cs? they're on both platforms. adobe premiere/dreamweaver?

Kyuzumaki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am mainly a PC man. Are the newer games coming out for both PC and Mac?

Some but not all! Blizzard have always made their games for MAC and PC but you can't rely on other companies doing this. Saying that it dosen't matter because you can just boot your mac into windows to play games, it's not as nice to use as OS X but if u hav to then so be it.

I would argue with price yeah they cost alot but when you look at PC's with equivalent processing power, compactness, built in features and battery life they are not that much more. The desktops are a different matter but as they kick serious ass in terms of rendering and graphic design i'll not diss them.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want to do some gaming, setup an office, use 100% of the available software out there then get a PC. If you want to do artsy visual design and graphics, organize your personal information, look fancy when sipping on your overpriced expresso and starbucks then get a mac. If you want to do both get a mac and install bootcamp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: