macbook pro late 2013 13 in screen, replace with a 2011 macbook pros 13 in screen?

trepp0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
okay, so my macbook pro from late 2013's screen broke and im looking for a replacement. its a 13 inch screen and i saw a screen from a 2011 macbook that was also 13 inches, could i put the 2011's screen on my 2013 macbook?

apple will not source me a replacement, as it is technically obsolete. it serves all the purposes i need it to however.

if i cannot replace it with the other screen, where would i find a good replacement in my budget (100-170~).

Kevbo

Professional Dumbass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I have seen the 2013 Macbook Pro has to be replaced with the same screen. 2011 Macbook Pro screens can only replace a 2011 Macbook Pro (duh) and a 2012 Macbook Pro. Not even iFixit sells replacement screens for that laptop anymore. Your best bet is to look on eBay. Even if you do find one the repairability score on iFixit is 1/10.

MacBook LCD Screen Compatibility

Last edited by Kevbo,

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country

trepp0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the thing with aliexpress is that im weiry about the quality of it. i have not had good experiences with that website in the past.

Your best bet is to get the screen off a non working motherboard unit that the screen is in good condition. Anyway you need P5 Pentalobe, T5 Torx and Tr8 Torx Security bit to open the back and to replace the screen.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My general experience with apple of then and especially now is you are fairly limited in range. In a slight defence of them though 2011-2013 was around the time something vaguely interesting was happening in screens, especially the slightly higher end things they go in for, so I can see it.

If things from the reject pile in China is not your thing then you are pretty much going to be limited to spares and repairs ones, or say screw it and make it external monitor only, adapters for which are probably going to be fairly cheap as USB-C has taken over for a lot of things there.

Reactions: Kevbo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...