❤❤❤
OP
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
So, this is my first time building and distributing a DEB package, and it may not work as intended. I don't have a second Mac on hand that I can test with. I'm posting this for any other Mac users out there that are having a hard time getting the internal webcam working. The process to do it manually is rather tedious, and documentation is lacking. This is also a DKMS package, which means any time your kernel gets updated, the driver should be automatically added to the new kernel, making reinstalling it unnecessary. I've also extracted the color profiles from the Bootcamp driver, so color correction should also work properly. Credits for the actual driver go to patjak.

This driver should work with the following models:
  • iMac (21,5", since mid 2011)
  • iMac (27", since mid 2011)
  • MacBook Air (since mid 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (15", since early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17", since early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13", since early 2011)
  • Thunderbolt display
Download ZIPhttps://cloud.mogbox.net/s/ppgUGM07JSSCXdx/download

First, install the camera firmware from Apple:
Code:
> $ sudo apt install git cpio curl xz-utils
> $ sudo su - && cd /usr/local/src
> # git clone https://github.com/patjak/facetimehd-firmware.git && cd facetimehd-firmware
> # make && make install
> # exit

Then, install the driver and color profiles:
Code:
> $ unzip facetimehd-dkms_0.1_all-20221111.zip -d facetimehd && cd facetimehd
> $ sudo dpkg -i facetimehd-dkms_0.1_all-20221111.deb
> $ sudo cp Color\ Profiles/*.dat /usr/lib/firmware/facetimehd

Reboot and you should be good to go. Please let me know if anything goes wrong. I'll try to help as best as possible.

Update - June 11th, 2022
A few commits have been made since I posted this, so I decided to build a new version with the latest changes. Instructions are pretty much still the same, and you can check the commit links below for changes. They're in the order of newest to oldest.

75a2a58 - Use dma_set_coherent_mask() instead of pci_set_consistent_dma_mask()
8431504 - Specify module device table
f85a604 - Apply SPDX license identifiers and provide a LICENSE file

Update - December 18th, 2022

Belated, but built the driver against Linux 6.x for a proper DKMS package.

Bonus:
If you don't use a Debian based distro, there are also RPM packages for RHEL based distributions, a PKGBUILD for Arch based distributions, and packages for OpenSUSE. Here are instructions for Gentoo as well.

Last edited by Joom,

Mackius

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Joom - Thanks very much indeed for your very helpful post. I'm using a Macair which I bought in July 2013 and on which I recently started to use LinuxMint. After finding that the built-in camera wouldn't work, I followed various online instructions and was finally able to get it to work. But the transmitted image had a strong golden hue. When I "researched" the problem, I came across your post, and implemented your easy to follow instructions. I'm very grateful. Best wishes. Bill

Reactions: Hekel_UK and Joom

Joom

 ❤❤❤
OP
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Hi Joom - Thanks very much indeed for your very helpful post. I'm using a Macair which I bought in July 2013 and on which I recently started to use LinuxMint. After finding that the built-in camera wouldn't work, I followed various online instructions and was finally able to get it to work. But the transmitted image had a strong golden hue. When I "researched" the problem, I came across your post, and implemented your easy to follow instructions. I'm very grateful. Best wishes. Bill
Oh cool, so it worked out for you? I imagine you probably needed the color profiles. Without them, my 2015 MBP's camera is green and red, so it's probably similar across most, if not all models that use this driver. Anyway, glad to hear this helped.

Deleted member 575583

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, thank you for your guide, but still after completing the steps I get no image at all of the camera on Zoom (which is where I tested) nor do I get any green light indicating the camera would be on.

Using Lubuntu 21.10

Last edited by Deleted member 575583,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
OP
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait so does this mean I could use facetime on Linux?
No, unfortunately. The name of the webcam is "FacetimeHD", and this is just a driver. The Linux kernel doesn't come with support baked in, and this is a rather hacky driver that was built from reverse engineering the camera's firmware. Color calibration profiles also have to be extracted from the Windows driver (included in this ZIP), so I imagine these are the reasons why "official" Linux support hasn't come about.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
No, unfortunately. The name of the webcam is "FacetimeHD", and this is just a driver. The Linux kernel doesn't come with support baked in, and this is a rather hacky driver that was built from reverse engineering the camera's firmware. Color calibration profiles also have to be extracted from the Windows driver (included in this ZIP), so I imagine these are the reasons why "official" Linux support hasn't come about.
Oh so you could use the driver on Linux

Hekel_UK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi man, first and foremost, thanks for doing this :)

I've followed your process, and it completed successfully, but after a restart, it doesn't seem to do much.
If I open Cheese the webcam never turns on.

I'm running Ubuntu 22.04 on a Macbook Pro 13 Retina (early 2015)

Any idea?

zarbout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice shot mate. MacBook Pro Retina mid 2014. Relieved me ! You should push this somewhere on the indexed forums ! Hard time to find this "perle" !

zarbout

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice shot mate. MacBook Pro Retina mid 2014. Relieved me ! You should push this somewhere on the indexed forums ! Hard time to find this "perle" !

Sremyi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what about all the other drivers cause i cant get my graphics driver
Post automatically merged:

what about all the other drivers cause i cant get my graphics driver

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol