Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use Linux :S

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

illumina

Trophies
XP
Country
I switched to OSX for the first time two months ago. I'm a hardcore gamer but my GF had an iBook and I liked what I saw, so I got the new mac book pro. I'll never switch back. Plus, you can bootcamp if you ever need to use winblows.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Right now I'm trying to decide between a Mac Pro tower or a 24" iMac.

I've always liked towers for the extra horsepower, but the price is nice on the iMac, and it's small, strong, quiet, and lovely. The Pro is a hulking beast.
I'll be replacing a Dual 1ghz G4 and a home built 2ghz PC. I use both OS X and Windows, so it'll be nice to have both in one elegant machine that takes up no more space than a monitor.

Currently I'm using an old G4 Mini as my internet TV box, works very well, and beats the MacTV with it's extra functionality and choice of video codecs.

I do video editing, music composition, design work (dvd packaging mostly), finance, internets, photo retouching, and "media server" stuff on my Macs. I use the PC to fill up my G6 and keep my PC fixing chops up. I don't dislike PC's, but if it can be done on the Mac, I'd rather do it on the Mac, because I prefer OS X to Windows. That's just personal preference based on how I like to work. Both are easy to use, but I find I get things done more quickly on OS X, and in general, like the tools better. I don't mind spending extra on something that I like more, and is for me a more efficient way to work.

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My girlfriend yells at me cause I basically waste money like its water.....Powerbook....bought new, sold 2 weeks later....bought one of those lamp looking Imacs....had it for about a month and then gave it away....Bought one of those big dual CPU G4's cause the tech at CompUSA stocked it with all kinds of (Illegal) software....had it for maybe a month and sold it...problem is usually I when I want something out of my house I kick it out for either free or at least half price so my experimenting with Apple got costly.

Linux I dabbled in as well.....but I am a 24/7 Commercial software user....I LOVE/NEED Vegas Video, Photoshop, Dreamweaver....I can't live without those programs and then of course cause I'm always buying the latest and greatest....half the time there aren't drivers.

So I am a PC user.....XP Pro for me....it works...no problems, no viruses, no pop ups, no BSOD, No crashes, sure...I am a little anal retentive about how I run my system...the way I install my files...but in the end my PCs are all about being productive the quickest way possible and Windows XP lets me achieve that.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll make another comment, even though I already have.

I prefer Windows right now, actually, I like vista a lot. Vista runs faster on higher end PCs than XP (just like XP runs faster than 98 on modern PCs). Vista is getting fixed constantly but the ultimate edition is really the only one worth having for heavy users, plus its really nice to look at
biggrin.gif

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Run it in compatiblity mode!

Vista sucked when it had just came out. But with the newest drivers, hotfixes, and patches it's faster than XP on high end systems, like linkiboy said

tyasawa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
'o' having the same confusion with mthrnite..
but i need to save money for permanent residence application...(2000 AU) T_T... might end up buying imac..

'',.. the student discount is quite nice tho.. get almost 300 AU cut.. so hab to buy it while im still a student, and my bf said u get extra cover by register to the internet. his macbook is more than one year old without extended warranty, but he still able to get his dvd rom replaced for free cos its acting strange 'o'

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I use XP and I'm really happy with it.
I never thought of getting a different OS because I use a lot of homebrew application designed for windows and some of them do not work on other systems.
And the most stupid thing I've heard from a friend is that I can run perfectly Windows application on a Mac with a special program.
Now why would I bother to spend $4K+ on a Mac and then run a windows emulator on it ?

By the way , quick question:
I have XP home edition, but I would like to know if XP professional SP2 is much better then that or if it has just more applications included in it.
I am thinking of upgrading to XP pro( and it's not going to cost me anything ), so I would like to know if it's advisable .
Would you recommend it to me ?

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
MAC:
+ Works great!
+ Runs Windows, Linux, Max OS.
- Very expensive

Linux.
+ FREE
+ Large OpenSource projects!
+ No Virus!
+ Looks badass with Beryl Mod

Windows.
+ Easy API
- Filled with viruses
- Crappy security
- Costs like the crap out of your pants

Ill go for Linux..

But ive got a Quad boot
wink.gif

With Vista, XP, Ubuntu, OpenSuse
wink.gif

tyasawa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
O,o.. is mac that expensive?? cos I don't think they are that expensive.. cos when i was thinking of building a pc with similar specs they are equally expensive.. not to mention have to buy windows.. and i hate cables.. so i mac will be better.. >_> why cant pc be so sexy..

'', hum or maybe i don't know cheap place to buy computer parts..

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I never thought of getting a different OS because I use a lot of homebrew application designed for windows and some of them do not work on other systems.
And the most stupid thing I've heard from a friend is that I can run perfectly Windows application on a Mac with a special program.
Now why would I bother to spend $4K+ on a Mac and then run a windows emulator on it ?Â

I have XP home edition, but I would like to know if XP professional SP2 is much better then that or if it has just more applications included in it.
I am thinking of upgrading to XP pro( and it's not going to cost me anything ), so I would like to know if it's advisable .

Macs aren't that expensive you hater. The low-cost iMac is 1100$ and its a lot cheaper than a lot of other PCs like from Dells and from HP. Most people who think Macs are expensive probably compare the Mac Pro Tower to a cheap ass piece of shit dell.

pc is better, Apple claims that it anti freeze and yet it freezes XD

That made no sense.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Now why would I bother to spend $4K+ on a Mac and then run a windows emulator on it ?Â

Macs aren't that expensive you hater. The low-cost iMac is 1100$ and its a lot cheaper than a lot of other PCs like from Dells and from HP. Most people who think Macs are expensive probably compare the Mac Pro Tower to a cheap ass piece of shit dell.

I am not an hater, I didn't in any way stated that I dislike Macs or that they are no good, but once I wanted to buy one that was about $ 4000, that's all.
I know that there are less expensive macs around , but they are not for me.
If you call my PC "a cheap ass piece of shit dell" it seems that you have an hate problem there.
You are happy with your Mac , I am happy with my PC, the original poster wanted to know which one we prefer, not which one we hate.
Grow up kid, you are like the guy who owns a PSP and goes to a DS site only to criticize it.
I do hate flame wars.
hate2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)