linux_user_at_best_buy.png

cool.gif

tyasawa

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PCs can be much sexier than macs, you just need to find the right case (there are thousands!)

nah.. i did look at some pretty cases but they are still cables involves.. and i hate too many cables..
compare it to imacs.. they are a looot sexier 'o'.. but it might be only my opinion..

hum i might need to install linux somehow to ensure that my application can run on multi platform.. lesse about that.. hope im not too stupid to use it.. any recommendation?

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The misconception that Apple hardware is more expensive is because there is no "entry level" system. You can buy a pre-built Windows system for a couple hundred these days. The entry cost to an OSX-based PC (yeah I said it again) is $1000. When you begin to have systems comparable in stats, the costs begin to level off a little.

Ever since a few years ago, all of my systems are in Shuttle cases. They're nice and small and beat out any prebuilt system in terms of aesthetics (to me)... except maybe the Mac Mini but only because it's smaller.

nephdj

Trophies
XP
Country
hum i might need to install linux somehow to ensure that my application can run on multi platform.. lesse about that.. hope im not too stupid to use it.. any recommendation?

IBM flavour of Linux with "Rational Testmanager"

QUOTEThe misconception that Apple hardware is more expensive is because there is no "entry level" system. You can buy a pre-built Windows system for a couple hundred these days. The entry cost to an OSX-based PC (yeah I said it again) is $1000. When you begin to have systems comparable in stats, the costs begin to level off a little.
a little? u can build a beast for 1000US

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is supposed to be OSX vs Any other OS instead of Mac vs PC, since apple now uses intel chipsets since they couldn't keep up hardware wise by themselves. So to dumb it down for you, MACs are PCs that run OSX. And those saying MACs aren't overpriced are wrong.. anything by Apple is overpriced. For the cost of any MAC you could build a MUCH better/faster box. Apple is an advertising company more than a tech company and make sales based on hype and deceptive advertising which i have no respect for. You don't see Microsoft making shitty commercials downplaying Apple to try to make themselves look good. why? because it's unprofessional.

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm glad i saw this thread because i'm also in the same predicament.

I'm debating whether or not to get an iMac (for the first time) or get a new PC computer again. I'm a filmmaker so, i do a lot of video editing, compositing and visual effects work. So i was hoping you guys could help me decide which computer would be the best:

iMac for $2000

CPU: 2.4ghz core 2 duo
Memory: 1GB ddr2-667mhz (pc2-5300)
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2600HD PRO 256mb
Harddrive: 320gb
Monitor: 24"

PC for $1200

CPU: 2.4ghz core 2 quad
Memory: 4GB ddr2-800mhz (pc2-6400)
Graphics: NVIDIA 8600GT 256mb
Harddrive: 320gb
Monitor: 22"

There's some other stuff missing from the PC setup like the motherboard, power supply and what not. But, what do you guys think? What's better? Appreciate the help guys, thanks!

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
i am a PC user, but since vista and all the copy protection/DRM/Trusted Platform etc i have installed ubuntu on an old amd k6 500 mhz and i am trying to learn as much as possible
smile.gif

no-one will deny how beautiful apple products are, and that's all the general public notices anyway. but people in the know realize that there are better, cheaper, and sometimes just as pretty devices from other manufacturers who don't charge a premium for their label

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Ignatius my favourite video apps are pretty much all windows only and the windows box would seem to perform faster (video is one of the few things than can really do anything with quad core).

I guess it really depends on what software you can afford to "lose" or emulate.

Ignatius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Mac because : FinalCutPro Studio 2 and iMovie 08.

It's settled ! :-)

I'd love to use FCP because i know it's much better than premiere. But, as a filmmaker, it's not the programs that make good movies, it's what you can do with the programs. So, FCP and Premiere do the same thing for me. And the PC hardware is a lot better and cheaper than the imac. So right now i'm leaning towards the PC. But i hope somebody can explain to me why an iMac is much better than a PC. I always hear that from people within the film industry that they prefer using Mac's over PC's and that's something i dont understand.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Programs that use GPUs for video conversion/playback are much faster. Avivo for ATI and...something else for Nvidia. But only with the newer cards. Do any Mac apps support these hardware features?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
QUOTE said:
Mac because : FinalCutPro Studio 2 and iMovie 08.

It's settled ! :-)

I'd love to use FCP because i know it's much better than premiere. But, as a filmmaker, it's not the programs that make good movies, it's what you can do with the programs. So, FCP and Premiere do the same thing for me. And the PC hardware is a lot better and cheaper than the imac. So right now i'm leaning towards the PC. But i hope somebody can explain to me why an iMac is much better than a PC. I always hear that from people within the film industry that they prefer using Mac's over PC's and that's something i dont understand.

I am little more than an enthusiastic amateur (avisynth and megui possibly with an external muxer and with whatever I want for DVD authoring this week are my tools of choice although I quite often redo films as I see fit and the odd bit of home video restoration (I was given a very expensive VHS player)), the only other pro video regular (or even semi regular) around here is WeaponXXX.

@kellyan95 last I checked most encoding codecs are poor implementations of a standard (I reckon I could get Xvid to beat (or at least come very close to) the equivalent H264 encode). The last 6 months may have changed things and dedicated encoder cards will annihilate that.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3800+ can't come close to playing a 1080p video by itself. My X1950XT + a program that supports avivo has no trouble. Quicktime isn't one of those programs. "Avivo - GPU core supports hardware decoding of H.264, VC-1, WMV9, and MPEG-2 videos"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?