Hacking M3DS Real, GBA Save Data Problem

KingKK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have encountered an odd problem with my M3 DS Real. Note that other then this problem, my M3 works fine and I am very happy with it. =)
So anyway, it's with GBA Roms. They run fine. I have the GBA expansion in the slot, and the roms I use are fine (I think. They work on VisualBoyAdvance, anyway). But with some of the games, I encounter a problem. They run fine, they save, everything. But when I turn it off and turn it back on again... the save data is 'blank'. The SAV file still exists, but my data is gone. It happens infrequently with some games, not at all with other games, and every single time with a few others. I have gotten to the point that I am afraid to play my GBA games because I am afraid that it will delete my hard-earned saves.
So. Is anyone familiar with my problem? Do you know what's wrong or how to fix it? It would be much appreciated if you could help. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
After you finish playing, turn on the ds again to go to the m3 menu. Before you get to the menu it will askyou to wait because it is backing up the save from the expansion to your micro.

KingKK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ENDscape said:
After you finish playing, turn on the ds again to go to the m3 menu. Before you get to the menu it will askyou to wait because it is backing up the save from the expansion to your micro.

Yes, that always happens.

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same thing happened to me too. I fixed it by erasing abandoning all my old saves and starting over.
sleep.gif
It has to do with newer versions of the M3 Real firmware not being compatible with GBA saves from an old firmware.

You can go back and try an older firmware, and see if it works with your saves. But, I decided to just abandon my old ones, because I would rather have the higher NDS compatibility of the new Firmware versions. Anyway, good luck.

DunkrWunkah

GBAtemp's Official Dunkr
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goshogun1 said:
The same thing happened to me too. I fixed it by erasing abandoning all my old saves and starting over.
sleep.gif
It has to do with newer versions of the M3 Real firmware not being compatible with GBA saves from an old firmware.

You can go back and try an older firmware, and see if it works with your saves. But, I decided to just abandon my old ones, because I would rather have the higher NDS compatibility of the new Firmware versions. Anyway, good luck.

Leave the Gba Expansion in the DS and charge it? That might work.. IDk...

LowEnergyCycle

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having this exact same problem, only with ALL my GBA games. They all play fine, but not a single one actually saves. To recap, I've made sure of the following:

1) The GBA expansion is firmly inserted
2) The ROM is set to "Patch Load"
3) I've followed the steps whereby you re-boot your DS and go back into the GBA directory (on the original M3 firmware anyways... Sakura seems to do this automatically)

Looking on the SD card, there are .SAV files for all my games, so it's doing something right. They're just empty of any save data though. I've tried 3 different firmwares (M3 Real, M3 Sakura, iTouch - all of which I obtained from the brilliant Sakura FAQ on this site), I've reformatted my SD card, I've cleared the .SAV files and started again. I've basically tried everything that I've found on forums like this.

Also, Real Time Saving doesn't work either. It appears to save ok (just like the regular method does), it even leaves an .IS0 file in the GBA directory. But when I try to load it back in, I get a blank blue screen and the DS crashes.

I've got an M3 Real Sakura cart (it has the Sakura label on the front) and a 4Gb Kingston SD card formatted to FAT32 if it makes any difference.

Have I just picked up a duff GBA Expansion? Every thread I've checked regarding this problem has come up with no solution so far, and not that many people seem to have the same woes.

Cheater388

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goshogun1 said:
sleep.gif

I cannot find a gba save converter anywhere. I think that this might be close but I'm not sure.

When converting save files from older to newer firmware, you would just have to change the extension from .0 to .sav .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been taking fiber pills, eating more grapes, switched to wheat bread in hopes to lower it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like wheat bread, I even like the chunky wheat bread with pieces of whole grain in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been getting this honey wheat bread from aldis pretty decent not very sweet to out do it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Me making any food at home is an improvement to how I use to be
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have an bread machine and use it alot, better than breads you buy, but don't last as long, cause no bs preservatives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got compliments about my weight loss and thought well guess I can pig out again now I'm the piggy
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My biggest prob is alcohol, definitely is fattening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I know when to stop at least honestly don't get those that go and go with food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or those that order 2 big macs , large fry, ice cream sundie, then a diet coke
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I might get downing two big macs but nah that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok that will be $15.99, cash or charge?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My go to orders usually a mcdouble and a mcchicken and I'm happy rarely mess with fries
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pro tip ask for that clowns jizzmac sauce on your mcdouble
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do they charge extra when you add sauce,etc? I know burger king used to not, but don't know nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They may squrit it for free if you ask nice
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Last time I got bk it was 35c per sauce fuck you king of my nutsack
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll buy a bottle of baby rays BBQ for $2 and add it from home out of spite
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I like baby rays, my favorite is KC masterpiece tho. Figured all you could buy is that there.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The metro doesn't discriminate good sauce
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Baby Rays isn't that what killed the crocodile hunter?
    If only he had done an endorsement for them....
    Oy mate don't let a bad bbq sauce kill your party! Baby Rays are killing it!! The flavor hits you right in the chest!
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    My phone only has 13% battery so i don't have much time left
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Now 12%
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday, btw
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Happy birthday, btw