Hacking M3 Gameboy Saves

Tedward.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone please explain to me how GBA save files work for the M3 DS real?
I tried playing the Mother 3 translation on it, and ran into crashing problems, so I played it on VBA(a GBA emulator). I fiddled with a few things and got Mother 3 running perfectly on my M3, but I'm 2 hours into the game and need a way to convert my save file from a .sav that VBA made, into something that the M3 can read. I made a new save on my M3, and it made a .0 and a .is0 file for Mother 3. I tried converting the .sav to a .0 with a save file converter, but instead of loading that, My M3 loaded the save that I made when testing Mother 3 earlier, regardless of the fact that I deleted all the save files. What on earth do I need to do?

tl;dr I need my M3 to read a .sav for a GBA game. How do I do this?

Earthbound2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is your Mother 3 Working on your GBA Expansion or not?

Because if it isn't, there's no other way I believe.. Since .sav's need the actual ROM so the .sav's could be loaded..

Basically, without a Mother 3 ROM On your Expansion, there's no way for the M3 to read a .sav (not that I know of..)

carterman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The M3 Real has problems with Mother 3 saving. Use GBA ExpLoader to play the game, that's what's worked for me. As for save formats, I don't know how VBA saves work, but from my experience the m3 real will load them directly without any problem, and it will just pad the files to 128KB. Try just loading the VBA dave directly on your microsd and let the m3 read it. If it keeps your save data, then good, but the m3 real's gba loader has trouble reading and writing the mother 3 save file, at least for the translated one.

I'll have more in an hour or so.

OK. To get the game working on the M3 Real with loading and saving, I had to SRAM patch the game using GBATA. Afterwards, worked fine. Now, from what I can tell, the M3 Real handles saves by merely padding them to 128 KB, and this usually works with Flash and SRAM save types. Now, with EEPROM save types the technique they use is FUBAR, because none of my backed up EEPROM saves work at all, at least not from cart_save, but I've deduced that the problem is NOT cart_save and my M3 CF as much as the M3 expansion just not liking EEPROM saves, because GBA ExpLoader won't load them properly either. The only real solution I keep coming up with is to use the GBA Backup Tool 0.2 on a different flash cart, because it doesn't work on the M3 Real due to Rudolph and the M3 Team having a little tiff over Sakura hacking. I'm still waiting for my acekard2 to get here from DealExtreme, any day now...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission