FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can be a bunch of things.

More likely though it is one of three things (or some combo)

1) Pointers, this is the most likely. If you line it up and do a byte flip (not sure where the option is in modern tinke) do all the numbers tend to increase in size?
2) Markup. If the text is bolded/underlined/coloured/whatever differently to the baseline then this is one of the more popular ways to do it. This can also include variables.
3) Differently formatted/encoded text. Just because you can read some text does not mean it is all that way, it is less common on modern systems but I have still seen it several times on the DS.

If someone wants to look at the game and tell you what they think then good for them, right now I am not on a machine with DS hacking gear though. More generally pointers are the other half/third of text hacking along with the encoding and the fonts. I usually describe the concept as being much like the contents page in a book -- your computery device does not know where things begin and end so you have to tell it, or waste time having it figure it out for something that tends not to change once you have hit compile, so you do tell it what goes where. There are any number of methods to do such a thing and it get oh so very annoying and fiddly, especially as it is mind numbingly tedious to do manually.
They are covered in every text hacking guide worthy of the term so you should be able to find something that works with how you think.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
It could also be other data.
For example the scripting of the event itself (the NPC walking/stopping/talking/making various gestures, cues when music should start/stop, when mugshots should appear, etc). Earthbound really went crazy with it, but through some of my experiments even recent DS games do it. I saw it by swapping the script file with the text to another area, lots of stuff (background animations, NPCs, fully working events, music.. but on the new different map) carry over.

DR_Chain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can be a bunch of things.

More likely though it is one of three things (or some combo)

1) Pointers, this is the most likely. If you line it up and do a byte flip (not sure where the option is in modern tinke) do all the numbers tend to increase in size?
2) Markup. If the text is bolded/underlined/coloured/whatever differently to the baseline then this is one of the more popular ways to do it. This can also include variables.
3) Differently formatted/encoded text. Just because you can read some text does not mean it is all that way, it is less common on modern systems but I have still seen it several times on the DS.

If someone wants to look at the game and tell you what they think then good for them, right now I am not on a machine with DS hacking gear though. More generally pointers are the other half/third of text hacking along with the encoding and the fonts. I usually describe the concept as being much like the contents page in a book -- your computery device does not know where things begin and end so you have to tell it, or waste time having it figure it out for something that tends not to change once you have hit compile, so you do tell it what goes where. There are any number of methods to do such a thing and it get oh so very annoying and fiddly, especially as it is mind numbingly tedious to do manually.
They are covered in every text hacking guide worthy of the term so you should be able to find something that works with how you think.

It could also be other data.
For example the scripting of the event itself (the NPC walking/stopping/talking/making various gestures, cues when music should start/stop, when mugshots should appear, etc). Earthbound really went crazy with it, but through some of my experiments even recent DS games do it. I saw it by swapping the script file with the text to another area, lots of stuff (background animations, NPCs, fully working events, music.. but on the new different map) carry over.

Thanks for explaining ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
So... from what I understood:
It's basically code (if it's not called code, sorry for that) that tells the game what happens when, is it?

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for explaining ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
So... from what I understood:
It's basically code (if it's not called code, sorry for that) that tells the game what happens when, is it?

Since this is a visual novel, the answer is a no-brainer yes. (Most of the times)
I remember also first-party stuff from Nintendo used to store furigana data all jumbled in the beginning, just after the regular text pointers.

DR_Chain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Since this is a visual novel, the answer is a no-brainer yes. (Most of the times)
I remember also first-party stuff from Nintendo used to store furigana data all jumbled in the beginning, just after the regular text pointers.

Alright, thanks man (0v0)/

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
The stuff in the text strings is just formatting. Like newlines, text colour, speaker name/portrait, new pages etc. The positions of all the strings are in the table right before all the strings themselves, divided by 2 (all works on words rather than bytes). So I think just with that, changing the lengths wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know how the actual scripts work at all, so things like adding a new string is beyond me.

amc9988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Instead translating from jap to Eng, why don't you just re-edit the available English release? I think that will give you less work than completely starting from scratch.

Anyway I just love this game so much, because it have a very interesting dark mystery story, and lovely art. So thanks for the effort =D

DR_Chain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The stuff in the text strings is just formatting. Like newlines, text colour, speaker name/portrait, new pages etc. The positions of all the strings are in the table right before all the strings themselves, divided by 2 (all works on words rather than bytes). So I think just with that, changing the lengths wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know how the actual scripts work at all, so things like adding a new string is beyond me.

Alright, thanks for the help

Instead translating from jap to Eng, why don't you just re-edit the available English release? I think that will give you less work than completely starting from scratch.

Anyway I just love this game so much, because it have a very interesting dark mystery story, and lovely art. So thanks for the effort =D

Ah, uuuuh. I'm not at the part where I edit the text yet. Right now I'm still only just translating. I think I'll be okay, because I have both English and Japanese versions at hand, so I don't have to start completely from scratch.

I also loved the game very much, replaying it however made me think that it might have been better if it hadn't been for a handheld console like the DS. I think they would've been able to make more of it if they had made it for, say, the PS2 or PS3, because there's more space to work with: so they could've added more details. But that's just how I feel about it.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I also loved the game very much, replaying it however made me think that it might have been better if it hadn't been for a handheld console like the DS. I think they would've been able to make more of it if they had made it for, say, the PS2 or PS3, because there's more space to work with: so they could've added more details. But that's just how I feel about it.

Imho, the game suited the DS quite well, just like Time Hollow and other visual novel like games on the DS.
The DS was actually a great system for visual novels due to the double screen and touch screen, which enabled some interesting things, and most of the vn's I've played on it were pretty good.

Only downfall of the game was that translation... How could they butcher it so much. ='(

DR_Chain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Imho, the game suited the DS quite well, just like Time Hollow and other visual novel like games on the DS.
The DS was actually a great system for visual novels due to the double screen and touch screen, which enabled some interesting things, and most of the vn's I've played on it were pretty good.

Only downfall of the game was that translation... How could they butcher it so much. ='(

I actually found Time Hollow a little confusing, but timetraveling usually does. Other than that I enjoyed it very much as well.

But what I meant was, that they could've added things to the story. I mean for exmple you only saw Edward once before the end of the game.
Shinji as well, it didn't look like he wanted much to do with Atsuki and the only one he really seems to hang out with is Mika and then around the end of the game he calls EVERYONE his friends.
Also, you don't see Ryo that much outside of the bookstore. (And his assistant only appears visually in the extra chapters)
Just, personally, I would've liked it if they had added a few more things

Reactions: yule80

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I actually found Time Hollow a little confusing, but timetraveling usually does. Other than that I enjoyed it very much as well.

But what I meant was, that they could've added things to the story. I mean for exmple you only saw Edward once before the end of the game.
Shinji as well, it didn't look like he wanted much to do with Atsuki and the only one he really seems to hang out with is Mika and then around the end of the game he calls EVERYONE his friends.
Also, you don't see Ryo that much outside of the bookstore. (And his assistant only appears visually in the extra chapters)
Just, personally, I would've liked it if they had added a few more things

That's not a problem of the system being the DS though, it's from the devs themselves.
There's this otome visual novel that's around 500mb for the DS (it got a remake for the 3DS too).

DR_Chain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's not a problem of the system being the DS though, it's from the devs themselves.
There's this otome visual novel that's around 500mb for the DS (it got a remake for the 3DS too).

Ah is that so? My mistake then. I thought it was because there wasn't enough space to work with, then I looked it up and saw that that wasn't the case. Thanks tho.
Oh, which one?

animegirl1993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to say a few words. Sorry if I am bumping an old thread... But some parts of the official Lux Pain translation were terrible English/grammar errors/misspelled things. I noticed as I played some of it again but I do love that game and Time Hollow...

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just wanted to say a few words. Sorry if I am bumping an old thread... But some parts of the official Lux Pain translation were terrible English/grammar errors/misspelled things. I noticed as I played some of it again but I do love that game and Time Hollow...

The problem with the game isn't just the grammar, it's pretty much the whole script translation. Dx
Like, characters address each-other in different manners, they have different speech forms from time to time, among other stuff.
I've finished the game twice and I spend more time trying to make sense of what they're talking about than the game itself. x'D

animegirl1993

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the game isn't just the grammar, it's pretty much the whole script translation. Dx
Like, characters address each-other in different manners, they have different speech forms from time to time, among other stuff.
I've finished the game twice and I spend more time trying to make sense of what they're talking about than the game itself. x'D

I can understand some of it but the gameplay is weird to me but it is different. Yes the script translation could be better, but they did what they could. I wish they would have looked over the script a bit more before releasing the patch. I agree some of it was a bit confusing

VVayfarer

Trophies
XP
Country
I loved the original game / VN; it's still easily one of my top 20 favorite games. It's a real shame it didn't receive a proper TL.

Good luck with the translation. Although this one is on the lighter side of the spectrum, I can only imagine how much time and work translating a VN on your own requires.

Last edited by VVayfarer,

DR_Chain

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Quick update:

Since I've started studying, I've had less and less time to properly focus on this project.
So, I'm sorry, but I will need to put it on hiatus for a while until I find time again.

Scorp

Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Quick update:

Since I've started studying, I've had less and less time to properly focus on this project.
So, I'm sorry, but I will need to put it on hiatus for a while until I find time again.
Just wondering how much you translated?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ