tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
What distro? I've been wanting to get into Linux, but two distros I tried were complete crap.

I use arch linux, but I really don't recommend it for linux noobs (the install is completely command line, you don't have a DE starting out, etc.). Which distros have you tried, and why didn't you like them?

I mean, arch doesn't have to be too complicated to install. I've personally used both Manjaro and Antergos, which provide an arch install without the hassle! Some people in the hardcore arch community don't think that Manjaro and Antergos are "the true arch way" but eh. They still provide access to the AUR, which arguably is the most expansive linux repo in any distro.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use arch linux, but I really don't recommend it for linux noobs (the install is completely command line, you don't have a DE starting out, etc.). Which distros have you tried, and why didn't you like them?
The first one I tried was Ubuntu. Installing it was a pain, since my GTX 970 isn't natively supported or something. Once installed, trying to get anything installed was a hassle to. I tried installing Minecraft, for example. It took me like an hour to find a working version of Java, since the official Java builds didn't work. Installing nvidia drivers weren't a walk in the park either. So I finally got Minecraft working, the framerate wasn't the best (compared to running it on Windows). The system overall was pretty slow. Opening folers, programs, etc. I'd have to wait a few seconds for it to open. The cursor would keep loading.

A few months later (or a few weeks ago), I gave Chakra a try. Easier to install, but I got the same results once installed. Pretty slow, installing anything was a hassle (Chrome isn't even officially supported).
I was going to give Linux Mint Cinnamon a try, but at that time the website was hacked and had an infected ISO, so I skipped out on it.

Edit: Not even installing OSX was that difficult :P and you're not supposed to install OSX on any computer. Anyways, maybe it's not meant to be? Maybe my fate is to stay with Windows.

Last edited by Supster131,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I mean, arch doesn't have to be too complicated to install. I've personally used both Manjaro and Antergos, which provide an arch install without the hassle! Some people in the hardcore arch community don't think that Manjaro and Antergos are "the true arch way" but eh. They still provide access to the AUR, which arguably is the most expansive linux repo in any distro.
I personally don't like antergos or manjaro, because in my opinion the whole point of arch is to know exactly how your machine works, and you don't get that with manjaro or antergos.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The first one I tried was Ubuntu. Installing it was a pain, since my GTX 970 isn't natively supported or something. Once installed, trying to get anything installed was a hassle to. I tried installing Minecraft, for example. It took me like an hour to find a working version of Java, since the official Java builds didn't work. Installing nvidia drivers weren't a walk in the park either. So I finally got Minecraft working, the framerate wasn't the best (compared to running it on Windows). The system overall was pretty slow. Opening folers, programs, etc. I'd have to wait a few seconds for it to open. The cursor would keep loading.

A few months later (or a few weeks ago), I gave Chakra a try. Easier to install, but I got the same results once installed. Pretty slow, installing anything was a hassle (Chrome isn't even officially supported).
I was going to give Linux Mint Cinnamon a try, but at that time the website was hacked and had an infected ISO, so I skipped out on it.

NVIDIA drivers are actually a huge pain in general on linux. I'd say you should probably give Linux Mint a try. Personally I prefer xfce over cinnamon, but that's just personal preference. You can always try using the "additional drivers" application which allows you to easily install other drivers.

Reactions: prototech

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah, I don't know too much about windows but you shouldn't have to be admin in order to compile stuff.

@fr3quency, do you have permissions to C:\bin2c? It seems to me that placing it in the root directory for some reason screwed the permissions system of windows.

It worked out eventually. Thanks a lot for the help(you two guys)

Btw I'm thinking of removing emuNAND as a whole from my SDcard. I'm backing up my data atm thankfully @ 70MB/s.

What I want to ask is:
1)Do I need to STILL tick the "updated sysNAND" option in config?
2)I simply backup my data, insert the SDcard and format(with 64kb allocation size) and then paste All of my data BUT I delete 1 of the 2 folders in SDcard\Nintendo 3DS\ID0 (the smaller one will be emuNAND since I swapped the partitions)
?

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NVIDIA drivers are actually a huge pain in general on linux. I'd say you should probably give Linux Mint a try. Personally I prefer xfce over cinnamon, but that's just personal preference. You can always try using the "additional drivers" application which allows you to easily install other drivers.
Yeah, what's the difference between all these Linux Mint flavors?
Cinnamon, Matte, xcfce, and I think there's one more.

What I want to ask is:
2)I simply backup my data, insert the SDcard and format(with 64kb allocation size) and then paste All of my data BUT I delete 1 of the 2 folders in SDcard\Nintendo 3DS\ID0 (the smaller one will be emuNAND since I swapped the partitions)
?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.

Reactions: fr3quency

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, what's the difference between all these Linux Mint flavors?
Cinnamon, Matte, xcfce, and I think there's one more.
What desktop environment they use is the difference. The last one is KDE.

Cinnamon is the flagship DE that the Mint team develops. It's supposed to be very full featured, but is somewhat buggy and very memory intensive (I believe they fixed a lot of memory leaks in newer versions though that help this).

MATE and XFCE are lightweight, minimalist desktop environments. I like xfce because it's very simple, but it's really customizable and can be made to look good if you're willing to put a little bit of time into working on it.

KDE is the most "windows like" of the desktop environments that Mint supports, but the latest stable release, KDE 4, is hugely controversial. I feel like it's bloated and typically try to stay away from it.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
It worked out eventually. Thanks a lot for the help(you two guys)

Btw I'm thinking of removing emuNAND as a whole from my SDcard. I'm backing up my data atm thankfully @ 70MB/s.

What I want to ask is:
?

i think you answered yourself with your no2 question ! it is as you said i would assume.

and for your first question, i believe you will have to tick the updated sysNAND, but since you want to remove the folder inside the Nintendo3DS folder i am wondering if you would still need to tick the updated(swapped) sysNAND option , since you are going to remove (the swapped emuNAND). mmm

i thought of swapping, but i wont swap. OvO

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What desktop environment they use is the difference. The last one is KDE.

Cinnamon is the flagship DE that the Mint team develops. It's supposed to be very full featured, but is somewhat buggy and very memory intensive (I believe they fixed a lot of memory leaks in newer versions though that help this).

MATE and XFCE are lightweight, minimalist desktop environments. I like xfce because it's very simple, but it's really customizable and can be made to look good if you're willing to put a little bit of time into working on it.

KDE is the most "windows like" of the desktop environments that Mint supports, but the latest stable release, KDE 4, is hugely controversial. I feel like it's bloated and typically try to stay away from it.
Alright, thanks! I'll probably give Cinnamon or XFCE a try.
If it still doesn't work for me, then I'll just give up on Linux.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
If you're having trouble with your graphics card still, you can use the Mint update manager to switch to an older version of the kernel (I always found that 3.18 worked best for me).

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Hey @Aurora Wright , thanks for all the work! I was wondering, what 0x?? value do I use in screeninit.c to have the same brightness as the home menu at brightness level 5? v3.13 is still to dark for me. Thanks!
0x5F

In screeninit.c you need to change

Code:
        *(vu32 *)0x10202240 = 0x45;
        *(vu32 *)0x10202A40 = 0x45;

to
Code:
        *(vu32 *)0x10202240 = 0x5F;
        *(vu32 *)0x10202A40 = 0x5F;

Last edited by astronautlevel,

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
Ok so I formatted the whole SDcard and restored my backup(deleting the emuNAND folder in SDcard\Nintendo 3DS\ ), but now the o3DS won't open. -_- It shows the blue light for a sec and then turns off. I tried having other payloads as "arm9loaderhax.bin" at the root of the SDcard, but nothing happens.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I formatted the whole SDcard and restored my backup(deleting the emuNAND folder in SDcard\Nintendo 3DS\ ), but now the o3DS won't open. -_- It shows the blue light for a sec and then turns off. I tried having other payloads as "arm9loaderhax.bin" at the root of the SDcard, but nothing happens.
What happens if you make decrypt9 the arm9loaderhax.bin?

Did you inadvertently overwrite your FIRM partitions?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I tried both CtrBootManager9 and Decrypt9WIP. How could I overwrite the FIRM files? I formatted the SDcard in my PC using the EaseUS shit.
Sorry, I misread your post when you said you restored a backup.

On the bright side it doesn't sound like a brick because it turned off. Try a fresh SD card with just the decrypt9 bin named arm9loaderhax.bin

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The blue light turning on then disappearing is what A9LH is supposed to do when arm9loaderhax.bin is not detected.

Ironically, it is a good sign, It means that nothing is critically broken, aside from the CFW apparently being unable to be loaded.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd try manjaro Linux. It's based on Arch Linux and can even use Arch's user repositories.
https://manjaro.github.io

It's my favourite of all Linux distros mainly because it's like an easy to install and config version of Arch.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I'd try manjaro Linux. It's based on Arch Linux and can even use Arch's user repositories.
https://manjaro.github.io

It's my favourite of all Linux distros mainly because it's like an easy to install and config version of Arch.
I would recommend Antergos over Manjaro. Manjaro doesn't actually support Arch's repositories officially. Antergos is literally just an installer for arch, whereas Manjaro changes all sorts of stuff in the repos that leads to you getting updates weeks after their pushed to the mainline and stuff like that.

Reactions: matpower
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn