• Views 12,521
  • Replies 135

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were like batman targeted against power hungry people. At least they put scare into companies.

The idea of Lulzsec are heroes. Sure I was not affected by it, but if I was I would be thankful knowing that I had known vulnerabilities and I should be a little more cautious. Why don't people see that good things come out of bad things if you let it?

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
They were like batman targeted against power hungry people. At least they put scare into companies.

The idea of Lulzsec are heroes. Sure I was not affected by it, but if I was I would be thankful knowing that I had known vulnerabilities and I should be a little more cautious. Why don't people see that good things come out of bad things if you let it?
Would you be thankful when they posted your info for everyone else to see?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Zetta_x said:

Would you be thankful when they posted your info for everyone else to see?

Lmao, my original response to this was posting all my details out. Email accounts, my full name, where I live, what university I go to... But then your response would be "It didn't get as much publicity because Lulzsec didn't do it" so I retracted what I was going to post.

My point is, you guys worry to much. If you had read anything I said above, good things come from bad things. If your stuff gets posted out there, then you may be a little more cautious who you give your information too. Who knows, law may mandate companies to enforce certain security standards to personal information because of this. So quit yapping.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:

You get your personal information compromised by hackers, and have all your money and credit card information stolen and used by some random person you don't know, and then come back and tell me you're grateful for it. i don't think you'd be here saying they're doing a heroic deed. If you did still think that way, you'd be either the biggest idiot on earth or a total lunatic that needs extensive mental evaluation and help. Any sane person would want them locked up at the very least.

The concept behind them is to cause chaos and feed their own egos. The end result was the strengthening of the hacking movement where the mentality lives that anyone can and should be hacked for fun or profit. It's not heroic, it's a transparent hacking ego fest at its worst. Posting millions of confidential emails and bits of user information online for anyone to take advantage of is evil, nothing less.

Last i heard, Batman stopped jackasses like these clowns from hurting and stealing. I definitely never read that comic where Batman turned computer hacking and stole millions of people's confidential data for his own entertainment or to pass off to thieves. I'd laugh to see that side of him.
rolleyes.gif

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
You get your personal information compromised by hackers, and have all your money and credit card information stolen and used by some random person you don't know, and then come back and tell me you're grateful for it. i don't think you'd be here saying they're doing a heroic deed. If you did still think that way, you'd be either the biggest idiot on earth or a total lunatic that needs extensive mental evaluation and help. Any sane person would want them locked up at the very least.

The concept behind them is to cause chaos and feed their own egos. The end result was the strengthening of the hacking movement where the mentality lives that anyone can and should be hacked for fun or profit. It's not heroic, it's a transparent hacking ego fest at its worst. Posting millions of confidential emails and bits of user information online for anyone to take advantage of is evil, nothing less.

Last i heard, Batman stopped jackasses like these clowns from hurting and stealing. I definitely never read that comic where Batman turned computer hacking and stole millions of people's confidential data for his own entertainment or to pass off to thieves. I'd laugh to see that side of him.
rolleyes.gif

I know your point the first time you stated it; there really was no need to regurgitate it in different words. Well, I'm not an idiot, but I may be a total lunatic that needs extensive mental evaluation (which is more of an opinion of others based on how society defines someone who needs help). I am almost 22, I have 2 credit cards, I have had 2 cars in the last 5 years, I have had bad and good relationships. I have been a victim of credit card theft, I have had one car been a victim of hit and run and never got any compensation for damages. What happened? I wised up, these were all great life lessons that could only truly make a positive impact by going through it. I have learned from my mistakes like the people's data that was compromised will learn from their mistakes. They will, like me, forever know how to handle identity theft and they will learn to not get so butt hurt when it happens.

The problem with your egofest theoretical representation is that it's your opinion. To me, by my opinion, they are heroic, and I already mentioned I am a total lunatic so there really is no come back.

Batman stopped what he wanted to stop. Yes, it was his opinion to stop criminals, but he could of easily stopped anyone. Who is a jackass and who is not is totally based on your opinion. The problem where you are coming from is that your opinions are totally conditioned on society and it shows well when you have narrow mindset. In my mindset, companies are "jackasses like these clowns from hurting and stealing."

Have you ever wondered why you like the things you do? Why you enjoy spending money to use the internet while 60 years ago there was no such thing as internet? You are conditioned to be happy spending your money on things like the internet while people 60 years ago never had the chance to be conditioned on such internet and yet they were still happy. Companies sir, are your culprit to why you enjoy the things you enjoy. For the record, if you are going to argue that well people 60 years ago never had the chance to enjoy the internet, your argument is flawed because the majority of people 60 years ago would rather not use the internet today, it makes them unhappy.

TL;DR
You still have unsuccessfully changed my opinion that they are heroes.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:

Except Batman was really damn powerful and owned the largest company in the city. EDIT: In fact, LulzSec are nothing like Batman. Batman fought crime. LulzSec wanted lulz. That was just a retarded metaphor.

I'm sure you wouldn't be as "thankful" if someone used the leaked information to steal your personal information. You'd thank them if they showed the company the loophole, not if they exploited it to be major douchebags.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing narrow minded about seeing LulzSec as what they really are- evil bastards out to cause mayhem and chaos at the expense of people who have done them no wrong.

You make no points with your "60 years ago, no internet" statements. Corporations or evil tyrants have always been around since the beginning of human history. Always. That is absolutely irrelevant to the fact that targeting the people under these corporations is an evil practice and going about it in the wrong way. On the fat chance that they actually thought they were doing something noble, it didn't work in causing these companies to stop their evil practices. It only made things worse.

As i said, no sane and intelligent person would call someone who stole from you heroic. You included if you had an inkling of sense. I would never consider hacking someone and stealing their confidential data a positive. As it is, lessons only need to be learned from this stuff BECAUSE these hackers commit such acts. Without them, we'd never have to worry about such things. It's illegal and evil, nothing more and nothing less. No amount of blame you put on a regular person can excuse the fact that hackers like LulzSec are the source of the problem.

There's no debate here. Having a laugh or receiving/spreading stolen goods at the expense of the people you hack (especially when they've done you no wrong) is simply illegal and evil. They're the problem, they are the ones who deserve the hate and blame here. Pretending like you can put the blame on people for being "stupid" is in itself stupid.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please take a few moments to read the last few posts. You will right away notice that you have not contributed anything more than what Granville has stated and I have already addressed Granville's statement.

My opinion still stands, they are heroes. You are looking into the batman thing too much indepth. I said that because Batman theoretically scared criminals and crime rate dropped just as Lulzsec scared ISP providers and other companies in being more cautious with their security.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason why there is no debate is because whether or not they were heroic is an opinion. And you keep trying countless times to change my opinion and you keep strengthening it by making me think about the subject. Why is it so important for you to force your opinions down my throat? Then you add in there to be insulting, if your opinion is that they are heroic, then you are an idiot or not intelligent.

If you want to debate whether or not I am intelligent, PM me. You out of all people, especially for being on the magazine staff, should respect people's opinions.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with Zetta. The very fact that all that Lulzsec did to companies and the US Government is even possible is a much needed kick to the arse. If Lulzsec wasn't as public as they were, would you have relied on your services to tell you? Citigroup took almost two months to tell people. I would have to say that if another more talented group silently hacked, you would hear nothing. At least Lulzsec gave fair warning. I'm not saying they're right, but they most certainly aren't wrong.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Please take a few moments to read the last few posts. You will right away notice that you have not contributed anything more than what Granville has stated and I have already addressed Granville's statement.

My opinion still stands, they are heroes. You are looking into the batman thing too much indepth. I said that because Batman theoretically scared criminals and crime rate dropped just as Lulzsec scared ISP providers and other companies in being more cautious with their security.

Of course your opinion still stands, it's your opinion. And thank God for that
rolleyes.gif

Debating your "intelligence" is a waste of time. You can't debate with a know-it-all.

As for LulzSec, I hope they're done for good. Less headaches for victims and people who were annoyed with them.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's actually very possible to debate intelligence. However, it would take countless ages to define what intelligence is because that word is highly subjective. Something much more suitable in a PM then derailing this topic. Take any 5 tempers, we would all get different definitions of intelligence. Once the word is agreeably defined, it's a matter of pointing whether or not they fit the definition.

Another reason why, in my opinion, they are heroes is because it is something I wanted to do; show the world how disillusioned they are. Lulzsec showed how disillusioned people are security wise and why you shouldn't just be giving away your personal details on every website. I want to show the world that they are controlled by other people's opinions; I have spent countless hours over the last few years observing human behavior and figuring out where people are being conditioned by society. Things like growing grass, why is that appealing and why do so many people do it? Those are questions I think about and I have finally realized that we are completely disillusioned on other people's beliefs.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always seen it this way. My passwords (if hacked) weren't strong enough and I need to stop being retarded and change it. I read through some passwords of the pr0n sites and by God, I was appalled. Passwords like darkmen, coffee, 123456, qwerty, candy, were showing up ROUTINELY. This is crazy, we need to step up security, if there's this many exploits and hacks around, stop being lazy. Companies are missing out even basic security steps. Isn't technology's slogan "Evolve or die"? IF security doesn't "Evolve", our whole technical landscape will "die". Lulzsec was a necessary evil, no matter how you look at it, they didn't do anything with what they've received other than post it as proof for those who would mark it off as trolling. Because, the scary thing is, if they've hacked it, something else has too and isn't talking.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
The reason why there is no debate is because whether or not they were heroic is an opinion. And you keep trying countless times to change my opinion and you keep strengthening it by making me think about the subject. Why is it so important for you to force your opinions down my throat?
I'm not trying to change your opinion. I'm flat out saying you're dead wrong. Whether you want to agree or not is your own problem. I'm stating facts here. I have the utmost respect for opinions, and respect that you do have yours. But when something is a fact, it's a fact. Being a staff member does not automatically mean we have an obligation to keep our mouths shut or shy away from saying certain things. I would even dare to say that some people could present an argumentative opinion that someone who steals, rapes, and murders are heroes (doesn't mean they are though, but some random person might try to argue that they are).

Hacking people for fun and stealing and spreading information for other hackers to use against you is both illegal and malicious in nature. < Not an opinion, but a cold hard fact (you can disagree with the inherent legal and moral aspects if you like though). Comparisons to Batman is lol worthy though. Whatever issues you may find with a business doesn't discount the fact that LulzSec breaks the law and attacks people on the grounds of entertainment and providing other hackers with a means to steal people's information or money to do whatever the hell they want with it. That's something Batman would never do in order to "scare" the bad guys.

Out of some respect though, i shall honor your request to stop arguing with your hero opinion.

In regards to intelligence, i'd say the general consensus for a basic concept such as hacking would be pretty standard- few people would feel happy about being hacked and having data or money stolen. Same goes for believing the hackers are heroes.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
No, it's actually very possible to debate intelligence. However, it would take countless ages to define what intelligence is because that word is highly subjective. Something much more suitable in a PM then derailing this topic. Take any 5 tempers, we would all get different definitions of intelligence. Once the word is agreeably defined, it's a matter of pointing whether or not they fit the definition.
You just gave a lot of credibility to this statement
QUOTE(phoenixgoddess27 @ Jun 26 2011, 01:43 PM) You can't debate with a know-it-all.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Zetta_x said:
You just gave a lot of credibility to his statement
QUOTE(phoenixgoddess27 @ Jun 26 2011, 01:43 PM) You can't debate with a know-it-all.
Well, know and how is indeed vital to a debate. If you know it all, you really cannot debate with such an individual. Might as well just give it up.

Assax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
granville said:
As it is, lessons only need to be learned from this stuff BECAUSE these hackers commit such acts. Without them, we'd never have to worry about such things. It's illegal and evil, nothing more and nothing less. No amount of blame you put on a regular person can excuse the fact that hackers like LulzSec are the source of the problem.

Honestly, that makes no sense, well it does but thats not how reality is.
There indeed ARE hackers on earth and they indeed do commit such acts, it's nonsense to say "if this and that wouldn't exist then xyz".
They DO exist, they did before LulzSec was even established, how is LulzSec the source of the problem here?

Even if hackers did not exist nowadays, some day someone would want to gather personal data and it would be easy for him because nobody has ever exploited secured systems so therefore no one knows about the holes in those systems.
Thats human nature, greedy, it's just normal that one day those files would get leaked or at least obtained by someone.

I rather have them leaked now than later on when there are even more files stored on servers.
One reason I won't get a Chromebook is exactly because it's cloud, I can only imagine that being the best target for hackers and LulzSec contributed to my awareness of that danger, who knows, before those hacks I might have said: "Who cares, if they release an online only OS im sure they make sure its secure.", simply thats not true.

Again reality is that hackers did, do and will exist, don't blame LulzSec, make the best out of what they have done and raise your awareness.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeathStrudel said:
Zetta_x said:
You just gave a lot of credibility to her statement

Fixed that for ya
wink.gif

I think it's easier to just put him on my ignore list than it is to sit here "debating" with him. You'll always lose.

LulzSec is nothing like Batman. I find that pretty laughable.
"Batman, kicking ass and hacking names."
Doesn't quite fit the "heroic" bill. To each their own, though. People find heroes in the strangest things.

DeathStrudel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
DeathStrudel said:
Zetta_x said:
You just gave a lot of credibility to his statement
phoenixgoddess27 said:
You can't debate with a know-it-all.
Well, know and how is indeed vital to a debate. If you know it all, you really cannot debate with such an individual. Might as well just give it up.
nice troll brah.....unless you really don't know what is implied by the phrase "know-it-all"
wink.gif

edit:
QUOTE(phoenixgoddess27 @ Jun 26 2011, 01:52 PM)
Fixed that for ya
wink.gif
lol, I actually meant to put this not his

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Jared and his blood covered foot long