Hacking LU62557xxx x question and newbie introduction

hellspawn69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, I am new here. Names Josh. I also own a PS3 but decided to dive into the Wii community since the USB loader stuff means I can run everything off a 500 gig drive.

Anyone know if there are any known issues with modding/using USBloader with a Wii with LU62557xxx x?
Just looking for some insight before I un-box the thing.
smile.gif

Also, I will be doing some reading, but can anyone point me to a nice/easy guide or anything. I already picked up a Western Digital My Passport Essential 500GB hard drive which seemed to be on the list of drives that will work for me. And I found a Wii with lower than LU64 so I think that was recommended as well. So I feel that I at least am off to a good start! (I hope)
huh.gif

I will throw a post in the introductions forum as well saying hello.
smile.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Welcome on the board and happy wii hacking!

LU62 wii shouldn't be any problem to softmod. There are some great guides in the stickies to get started. If you want assistance you can posts here and someone will reply
smile.gif

Take a look at the different USB loaders and what they can do
wink.gif

hellspawn69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, thanks for the info tj_cool.
Wife is dying to get playing. So I will get it set up, and just not let it do any updates until I get some more reading done. My little knowledge I have so far seems to tell me that updates can cause troubles with mods.
I was surprised at the range of LU's at the store. There were about 25 Wii's there. 3 I saw were- lu3854xxxxx
lu6255xxxxx
lu3846xxxxx

And some LU65's if I recall as well. I think I only saw 1 LU64 one.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No problem
LU65 have the same problem as LU64 cause they're even newer. But you don't have to worry about that.
Although it is advised to do the hacking on a system menu below 4.0, we have new techniques to do it on 4.0 as well. There is no need for Twilight Princess anymore. What you need to get started is called Bannerbomb. You can use it to install the Homebrew channel. And then you can easily get everything you want.
smile.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would have taken the lu3846xxxxx, maybe you would have been lucky to be able to install BootMii as boot2.

There are 3 kinds of Wiis:
- The oldest and best, BootMii as boot2 possible, all IOS can be used
- newer but non LU64+, no BootMii boot2, still all IOS can be used
- LU64+. no BootMii boot2, restricted IOS

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No. That would requie nintendo's private key, or another VERY big failure from nintendo(which would be already known if there was).

hellspawn69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dang, oh well.
I guess that begs the question- What am I missing out on then? I will still be able to do USB Loader off a hard drive for games right?

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, it just means that you won't be as protected as you could be. Just don't do system menu updates once you've installed any cIOS or Preloader or Starfall type stuff. With Bootmii you could do system menu updates and be able to fix a brick (As long as you've done a NAND backup)

*Bootmii as boot2* As an IOS it's pretty much useless for protection.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hellspawn69 said:
Dang, oh well.
I guess that begs the question- What am I missing out on then? I will still be able to do USB Loader off a hard drive for games right?

BootMii as boot2 is THE brick protection. Without it, i would recommend to only install IOS, cIOS and channels. Everything else is dangerous, preloader might be some brick protection, but it's installation itself is a little dangerous, and preloader is not noob-proof. But that's only my opinion about preloader, i guess it won't take long until somebody posts: preloader is safe, and you can't brick with it and this and that.

hellspawn69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love your Avatar Golfman!

Whats the Bare Minimum I need to install/update to safely load games from a USB Hard Drive and rip games to it?

hellspawn69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, for anyone still following this thread-
From my reading-
I do the Bannerbomb
Install Homebrew Channel
then? The cIOS part?

I am not finding the information I want to about creating some kind of backup to revert to if something goes wrong though. Is that done After the modding is complete or something?

(currently 15 tabs open in Firefox all related to this stuff, lol) SO MUCH TO READ!!!!!

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anaxs said:
my old wii is lu38****** and i got a new one that is lu52*******

will i be able to install bootmii on my newer wii
thanks

It takes about 1 minute to check it yourself.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=155844

Use that to install the HBC, then find one of Waninkoko's cIOS versions (Rev10, 13, and 13B seem to be the better ones right now) and install that. Then find a USB Loader app you like and run that from the HBC. You can get a forwarder if you want but then you're dealing with WADS (Installed with the wadmanager) and could lead to banner bricks, which are fixable if you have Preloader or Bootmii. But just stay away from those unless you get Preloader (Bootmii is out of the quest for LU6X+ Wii's)

Heres a Preloader guide: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=135174
You'll want it if you go any farther than installing a cIOS for using the USB Loader.

You can get the cIOS's from here: http://wii.waninkoko.info/

hellspawn69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the time I saw you replied, I got bannerbomb going and ran the test. Actually was working off the exact link you posted. Thanks!
smile.gif

hellspawn69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all for the help! My Wii is now happily loading it's backed up games off the Hard Drive!

Currently still have to go into HomeBrew, then the USB Loader GX off the SD Card so it's a few steps. But it sounds like there is ways around that.

What other fun stuff do you people do with your soft-modded Wii's?
I don't need it to play digital media or DVD's or anything like that, but are there fun mini-games like on the PS3 network, stuff like that? Or cool apps?

Thanks again everyone, this place is a GREAT source of knowledge!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello