red_fox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've lost a disc of a game that's installed to the hdd, I was wondering if there's any way to obtain a minimal sized file that the xbox will believe to be the game (Assassin's creed brotherhood) and will allow the game to boot. I don't expect a one-for-all disc but I'm sure it would be possible on a game specific basis (except that there's probably nothing available as it's largely useless as it still takes a dvd).

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I would assume that you would just have to burn an exact back-up of the game to use assuming that your 360 can play back-ups and supports Brotherhood.

Wish I knew more about 360 mods and such.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
You can only play without a disc if your 360 is j-tagged. If not, you need to reburn the disc to play the game even if it is installed to the HDD.

red_fox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My thought is that the xbox only verifies a certain amount of the data on the disc, I imagine that it's actually quite small, certainly much smaller than the full game. Since I have the game on the hdd then it should be possible to boot the game from a disc that identifies itself as brotherhood but contains no actual game data.

But, other than something like my case, there is no use for this since you need to get the game on the hdd in the first place. So I expect I'll have to get the whole thing and such a minimal image is not available anywhere.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
red_fox said:
My thought is that the xbox only verifies a certain amount of the data on the disc, I imagine that it's actually quite small, certainly much smaller than the full game. Since I have the game on the hdd then it should be possible to boot the game from a disc that identifies itself as brotherhood but contains no actual game data.
While this is true, the security information is contained in an area not normally accessible to applications that rip or burn data.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In theory yes- I have played and had bad burns error (errored out in the very early sectors) out on me before but otherwise boot and get somewhere into the game not to mention using such methods to dodge issues with scratched discs and I did some research on single layers for some games but I got a JTAG and got lazy so I never pushed it far.

Short version- I imagine it is very possible and have some good examples to base the theory on but there are no simple ways at present and if you did want to find one you would probably end up getting the whole things and wasting a bunch of discs in the process.

red_fox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
In theory yes- I have played and had bad burns error (errored out in the very early sectors) out on me before but otherwise boot and get somewhere into the game not to mention using such methods to dodge issues with scratched discs and I did some research on single layers for some games but I got a JTAG and got lazy so I never pushed it far.

Short version- I imagine it is very possible and have some good examples to base the theory on but there are no simple ways at present and if you did want to find one you would probably end up getting the whole things and wasting a bunch of discs in the process.

Ah well, it was worth asking. I'm surprised single-layer might work when even the tiny activate.iso had to be burnt to a dual layer (although it probably all depends on where the necessary data is stored).

Thanks for the replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: