Losing weight/fat

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by issy12, Feb 12, 2010.

Feb 12, 2010

Losing weight/fat by issy12 at 9:31 PM (3,936 Views / 0 Likes) 53 replies

1. issy12
    OP

Member issy12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    everyone in my family's starting to do stuff to get more fit and lose weight and i want to try something as well. I'm really overweight for my age and height, and it's quite obvious I'm unfit when I play football at school, or participate in PE at school. I'm 14 years old, and and this moment in time, I've pulled a muscle in my thigh so I can't really go cycling (it's what i love doing, and it'll help me get fit). Of course when it heals I'll start cycling to and from school, but i want to kind of turn some of my fat into muscle. I know it's hard but i thought those dumbbell weight things are quite good. Plus i can do them straight away because it doesn't use my legs.

Is there any advice on where I can buy some cheap ones under £25 preferably, and also any other advice regarding losing weight/getting fitter/muscle. I guess this sounds stupid but i really want to try and lose weight it seems so great to be fit.

Thanks a lot.

2. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Save your money and google is your friend for an advice to lose the weight/fat. Also, your best way is not to eat fat foods at all. For exercise.. Do not forgot to warm up your legs to avoid the injury or pull the muscle which you did. You can do it. You have my support. [​IMG]

3. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    York weights, 30kg for 30 quid at Argos.

4. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot for the support, yeah your right, I gotta change my lifestyle...

but I'm going to be firm with my decision for the weights, i really think they help my cousin has them an although he is 19 I've tried them and they really challenge you.

EDIT: mcp2 isn't 30kg a bit too much for me, or should i be aiming for that? I was thinking really low at 15 kg [​IMG]

5. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    If you can, buy a treadmill. Jog 30 mins a day 4 times a week. Also eat less. It's really simple, I've actually lost over 60lbs now. I weighed 252 now I weigh 191.

6. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Problems with that are that issy is only 14, treadmills are expensive, and the whole "I've pulled a muscle in my thigh" thing

7. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    cardio is the fat burner, go for walks/jogs and get you some p90 x vids to tone that shit up

8. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think the most important part about losing weight is changing your diet.
    Cut back on all things high in fat and sugar. Don't eat fast food AT ALL.
    Eat less fried steak and more veggies. Stop eating bacon and eggs every morning, and switch it up to something healthier (iuno, like muesli or something light). Switch from white bread to whole grain, and from white rice to brown.
    Don't drink any sugary drinks (soda is TERRIBLE), instead, just drink water.

You can't just exercise and keep eating shit. It doesn't work.
    My dad has this problem. He thinks that if he exercises a ton, he will be able to keep eating high-fat stuff. Obviously, it hasn't worked and it won't work. He continues to eat lots of white bread, lots of steak, pork, and bacon, and he hasn't seen any real progress.

EDIT: Also, I know plenty of people who have had success with just changing their diet and doing some minimal exercise. A friend of mine was quite chubby. He told me it was a culture thing, since he was Mexican, he apparently ate a lot of chicken, white rice, and bread. He switched to more fruits for snacks, and lighter meals, did a quick jog every morning, and lost 60lbs in 4 months.

9. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    wow, thanks.. and gore you're right, i can't wait till it heals I love cycling and if i wanna lose weight i won't be lazy getting my bike out, does anyone now how long it takes for muscles to heal?

10. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Exercise is the biggest thing you can do to get in shape. Sitting on your butt in front of a PC will never help. Bike riding was usually MY form of exercise. Basically, as long as you're active (bike riding, jogging, sports, working out, not sitting on your butt in front of a PC) then you can generally eat whatever you want because you'll be burning off the calories you eat. One thing, especially for males. Stop drinking soda and switch to plain water. You'll be amazed how much weight you'll lose. For some reason that doesn't work as well for women.

I used to be a beanpole well into my 20's, incredibly strong for my build and very flexible. I ate food like it was going out of style too (super-size me, pimple boy), and never gained weight. Then I got a car and the bike stayed in the garage. I very quickly started gaining weight.

So yeah, exercise is the absolute biggest factor in losing weight. Don't waste money on ANY product that promises to magically shed pounds. They ALL say that they are to be used in conjunction with diet and exercise, most of them don't actually do anything, except possible nasty side-effects that no one wants. The worst one I remember reading about was anal leakage, nasty.

But see, I'll be 42 next month, I no longer care what I look like. My days of exercising and worrying about such things is out the window. I have a bicycle that's over 10 years old and it looks brand new. I'm also now about 50 pounds over-weight. I REALLY don't want to live past 60 anyway.

11. Acetic Orcein

Member Acetic Orcein GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Everyone has given good advice [​IMG]

There is little to add really.

Diet is extremely important of course, as mentioned cutting back on fatty foods. It's important not to starve yourself though. Healthy eating suggestions have already been made lol. Just do your best and try to enjoy it? You're more likely to stick to the whole regime then [​IMG]

12. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    Two tips.

- HIT (Hight Intensity Training)

- Make lifestyle changes and TAKE YOUR TIME whilst doing it.

Just walking home from school for example (part of the way at the very least if it's a long distance) can do wonders for your weight in the long term. I used to walk with friends from school on an almost daily basis and it didn't feel like 'work' at all (listening to music/podcasts is good if you're alone). Of course you've already mentioned riding a bike which is also good.

It's also fine to have treats every once in a while especially at the start. Having two less chocolate bars per week will at the very least aid in halting your weight gain (if not decrease it). After a few weeks when it feels like the norm repeat the process and within a few months you'll find that you've cut your consumption of unhealthy foods by a lot.

The same theory applies to increasing the intensity of your workouts as well as how many healthy foods you consume.

I know I said I'd give two tips but a lot of people say that taking pictures of yourself frequently is a good motivator during periods where you don't feel like continuing your weight loss, if you've put enough effort in it's likely that there's going to be a big difference between weeks 1 and 16.

13. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Do crossfit workouts. They are high intensity workouts that helped me get 30lbs off me after I joined the Army. Crossfit is a civilian thing that started and the Army slowly adapted to. You can also find Marine Corps, Army or Navy Seal fitness manual online. They are usually very powerful if you follow them.

14. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Also

WII FIT.

It's helped tons with its freestep activity. Just listen to a podcast while you do the 30 mins.

15. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    14 is a bit young (imo) to start weight training. go do some cardio, get into a pool and do laps or something. swimming's a good way to burn fat and put on muscle.

16. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    yes, I used to go swimming a lot before with my cousins (they're super skinny though [​IMG]) but now they're not allowed because it's cold. Only once did i go swimming myself and when i went i was the only one in the pool and it was really embarrassing and boring. But I'm going to try get my dad to come swimming as well.

PS: i think my thigh is getting better, and i just found out my bike is really broken. Definately need a new one [​IMG]

17. mcp2

United Kingdom
  18. issy12
    OP

United Kingdom
    sorry mcp2 that's a bit expensive [​IMG]

19. DarkShadow96

Member DarkShadow96 LA96£

Canada
    Wow this thread is quite helpful. I remember during the summer, me and my father use to go long distance walking each day. About 2Hrous or so. But I didn't know that if I ate junk food at the same time with my excersizing that I wouldn't lose weight... That explains it lol. But I didn't eat junk food everyday. Also I finally broke away from the habit of drinking soda. It ain't good for you.

20. mcp2

United Kingdom