Hardware Looks like the Switch's networking is capped at 50mb/s, both wired and wireless.

Have you broken 50mb/s on your Switch console?

• Yes, it was easy.

• Yes, but just barely.

• No, but almost.

• No, not even close.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK. Here is the end all be all of this stupid thread. The adapters on the Switch are NOT capped.

Go here and change your DNS settings to the proxy he has listed.

Enter your destination URL as FAST.COM and do the speed test.
Another good test is downloading a 1GB file from here.

My Switch gets 36Mbps
My Note 4 on AC Wireless with an MLC Pro SD card gets 66Mbps
My PC wired gets 100 Mbps (the max cap of my connection)
My N3DS XL gets 8.2 Mbps

I'm thinking the flash memory is the bottleneck.
Also the browser on the switch does not seem to be very stable and has trouble loading larger web pages and files.

Judging the speed by downloading files from Nintendo servers is not a good test. They could be capping the data throughput from their end.

Last edited by Mr. Wizard,
Reactions: MassiveRican

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: ethanwa79

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The HORI LAN adapter appears to be USB 2.0: Nintendo Switch Wired Internet LAN Adapter by HORI Officially Licensed by Nintendo (Note the white plastic in the USB connector instead of blue.)

According to Nintendo, the Wii LAN adapter (RVL-015) works as well, which means any USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter with the ASIX AX88772 chip should work. Note that there's a few AX88772-based adapters that have a custom USB VID/PID, which will not work. The correct USB ID is 0B95:7720.

Reactions: MassiveRican

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The HORI LAN adapter appears to be USB 2.0: Nintendo Switch Wired Internet LAN Adapter by HORI Officially Licensed by Nintendo (Note the white plastic in the USB connector instead of blue.)

According to Nintendo, the Wii LAN adapter (RVL-015) works as well, which means any USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter with the ASIX AX88772 chip should work. Note that there's a few AX88772-based adapters that have a custom USB VID/PID, which will not work. The correct USB ID is 0B95:7720.

I would personally avoid the Hori brand (given their shoddy screen protector for the Switch, and the negative reception), any other will be pretty much the same in terms of performance. 79 dollars is a bit much for that anyway.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would personally avoid the Hori brand (given their shoddy screen protector for the Switch, and the negative reception), any other will be pretty much the same in terms of performance. 79 dollars is a bit much for that anyway.
I've previously purchased some HORI products (their 24-card 3DS game case and Duraflex Clear Protector for New Nintendo 3DS XL work pretty well). I did place an order for the HORI Premium Protective Filter for Switch, but then I got an email saying it wouldn't ship until the end of March at the earliest. After looking at the reviews, I cancelled the order.

I ended up getting amFilm's tempered glass screen protector instead. It has better reviews, a lower price, *and* it's a 2-pack.

For the LAN adapter: I have an official RVL-015 somewhere, which will be connected to the Switch once I find it. Any AX88772-based USB Ethernet adapter with the original USB ID (0B95:7720) will work.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,
Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've previously purchased some HORI products (their 24-card 3DS game case and Duraflex Clear Protector for New Nintendo 3DS XL work pretty well). I did place an order for the HORI Premium Protective Filter for Switch, but then I got an email saying it wouldn't ship until the end of March at the earliest. After looking at the reviews, I cancelled the order.

I ended up getting amFilm's tempered glass screen protector instead. It has better reviews, a lower price, *and* it's a 2-pack.

Yeah, that last one is the one I'm getting as well, I don't think that "premium" filter is even glass and it looks pretty shoddy. The AmFilm one is tempered, and sure, I have to wait a few more days to get it, but it'll be worth it :P

As far as their LAN adapter, who wants to spend 80 dollars on that?

Last edited by the_randomizer,

ryuku32

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
scottn.us
XP
Country
United States
hate to necro post but this is most relevant thread of the subject and i'm late to getting a nintendo switch.

I've downloaded Snipperclips about 20 times while doing packet captures and trying different things. The switch advertises a small window size (like Windows XP days) of 64k. I'm in Charleston, SC and Akamai is at least 23ms away (often a tad more) in Atlanta. Just using BDP formula that's ~23Mbps max with that window size. I cannot get much more using a USB3 Gigabit adapter nor 5GHz nor 2.4GHz wireless with a 500Mbps DL plan. I tested my bandwidth using iperf3 to my VPS in Atlanta and get full 500Mbps.

To double my downloads and "max out" at 50Mbps I used 3proxy on my router and setup my Switch to connect to that. Now I reach this 50Mbps max. I tried using an upstream proxy to my Atlanta VPS and still 50Mbps. So who is voting yes on this? Most of the discussion is not on-topic... Has anyone really gotten more?

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done extensive speedtests over and over, using both my LAN adapter from my Wii U (Which works, save your $29.99) using a 3 foot Ethernet cable, as well as the 5.0GHz Wi-Fi from two feet away, line-of-sight. I could never break 50 mb/s. If any of you do, would you mind sharing how? I pay $90/mo for 230mb/s with a Gigabit router, so that isn't an issue.

I'd like to hear from you in the polls.

I havent skimmed this thread yet, but I can tell you right now your assertion is false. Tinfoil installs up to 40 MB/s / 320 mbps over ethernet.

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
90$ fpr 230 ? :O damn son thats expensive :/, 60 for 800 here in france :x.
Anyway, i don't understand nintendo and there ALL TIME CAPED NETWORK... 3DS, N3DS, WiiU, common ! And now the switch at a ridiculous 50mbs... and they've no excuses like "eShop is capped so" no because i get 230mbs on Jnus Tool...
Yes, north american isp charge more for internet because those countries have richer population. We don't have to go on the street with our gilets jaunes to ask for better pension and a poor raise in minimum salary.

Pip'

BiggieCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna bump this again and say that the 3.0 port (most likely) hasn’t been enabled by Nintendo due to poor planning on their part when they designed the dock; the USB-C port on the Switch likely has most of its bandwidth taken up by the video output, they could patch it so that it transfers data at a rate that’s closer to the USB 3.0 standard, but it would likely only be a slight jump from the dock’s 2.0 ports.
I could be wrong though, I dunno.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped