Looks like the Switch's networking is capped at 50mb/s, both wired and wireless.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Jayro, Mar 5, 2017.

?
  1. Yes, it was easy.

2. Yes, but just barely.

3. No, but almost.

4. No, not even close.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Good point, my bad. :P

Use of capital letters on keyboard is problematic for me since on my android i'm used to auto correction and capitalization. But yes, you have a good point, i'll fix it when i get time. :)

2. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    http://beta.speedtest.net - manually choose a server, download only works. It will die on upload. Tried roughly 10 times.
    I'm more surprised at the aweful ping I get. From my wifi connected computer it's 1-2ms and boost up to 80-100mbit easy. Switch stays kind of nicely around 28-31Mbps. So they probably haven't activated the card fully in the tiny device yet.

3. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    meanwhile... i've never connected to a network over 10 MB/s in my life

i'm fine with this cap.

4. AlexanderLS

AlexanderLS GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2016
    United States
    You guys are going a long way to paint a very inaccurate picture.
    bits are used primarily by ISPs to pad the numbers.
    It is not as simple as MB and Mb.
    MB is 1Million bits.
    Not to be confused with what most software shows as MB which is actually MiB or 1048576bytes/1024 kibibytes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabyte
    MiB and MB are not the same and should not be confused.
    If you took the download rate of your Switch and simply multiplied it by 8 your likely getting the wrong number for Mb. Since switch is software it is likely displaying MiB/s and displaying it inaccurately as MB/s.

Decimal (KB,MB,GB,TB) bytes exist just to pad hardware numbers when selling sd cards,hdds,etc.
    If it wasn't for greedy retarded corporations who have to pad their numbers we could safely get rid of lots of consumer confusion.

Last edited by AlexanderLS, Mar 6, 2017
  5. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The US is basically notorious at this point for having terrible pricing for even low network speeds. And the main reason is that the internet companies basically hold regional monopolies and work together to make sure it stays that way. Some places only give you one choice of provider. In my area the highest speeds you could even buy until recently was 100mbps, which just got bumped up to 300, but it's still too expensive for most people to afford here. I only have a choice of two companies and they aren't competitively priced either. It's kinda like our stupid laws that basically force you to use car dealerships to buy a new car. The US really has a bunch of stupid old laws that hurt consumers but benefit big companies.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  6. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    This is was I normally get on a Wired connection or a properly working 802.11AC 5Ghz connection (such as on my phone)
    [​IMG]
    I've done a couple of tests on the Switch with my 5Ghz network. Seems to cap at around 30-40Mbps, maybe it's reached 50Mbps sometimes.
    I've also tried a wired connection (with this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M77HMU0/ ) It mostly stays around the 50Mbps line, occasionally passing 60Mbps. Kinda of disappointed as even USB 2.0 should in theory max out at 480Mbps. I've also tried this adapter on a USB 2.0 port on my PC and had no issue reaching my max speeds.

Dunno if this can be "fixed" via a software update or something.

7. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I pay 50 bux a month for 100mbps up and down. No cable, because fuck cable TV, nothing good to watch on there.

8. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    Are we talking megabits or megabytes per second?

9. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    LOL. So did 2 tests with my laptop in optimal conditions (in front of the Internet box, desktop computer off). Here's what I get:

2.4 GHz Wifi :
    5 GHz Wifi :
    And yes, I am only 8.81 km / 5.47 mi from the exact center of Paris (yes, Paris in France, the real one). Given the fact that in my room I can't even connect to 5 GHz and the 2.4 GHz one gives me 6 Mbps, I think the Switch's speed cap is more than decent.

10. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    I don't see your point though. Are you saying, if the console actually can go higher, it's okay for them to just cap it like this (assuming this is the case)? It really doesn't matter how many people can reach it, which by the way, is way more than you think.

TheKawaiiDesu likes this.
  11. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Yeah, but with 95 Mbps my speed is already faster than 83% of France. BTW, I just learned that I'm actually eligible to a 1 Gbps speed with the same ISP, I just have to replace my box by the latest :toot: I guess I'll ask my father then :P

EDIT: Well, actually nope, I misread.

Last edited by StarTrekVoyager, Mar 6, 2017
  12. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Considering the switch is a mobile device, it's no surprise the WiFi chipset has limitations.

Oh, i forgot about the fact it's nintendo, even their next-gen 'home' consoles have the limitations from previous gen :rofl2:

13. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Oh okay. I Got 48 whatever-they-show-in-the-menu per second. I don't remember, but I think I've only got 100 Mbit fiber now (we were forced to switch ISP to one that was $100 more expensive than we already had, for the same speed, so we lowered our speed T_T)

However, not sure if it's the speed test that's capped somehow (or the test server), or if it's the system itself. I haven't done much online yet, but installing the updates and the Snipperclips demo. The downloads were speedier than any download on the PS3 has ever been for me.

14. nolimits59

nolimits59 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 25, 2008
    France
    it's important when you know you can download game that are more than 20gb... 20gb takes 45min/1h at 50megabits/s, and if you have a high speed internet, you want to use it, you paid for it, and there is high speed wifi on every stuff now, i know that xenoblade X for exemple, took 10min of download on JNUS (its a little more than 20gb IIRC), it would have took me nearly 1/2hours to download it from the WiiU...
    Switch can't afford to do that kind of shit...

15. Rapidkiller

Rapidkiller Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2009
    France
    You too because you failed!
    Internet connection's unit is the Mbps (Megabits per second). To obtain MBps (MegaBytes per second) MegaOctet in french, you need to divide per 8
    So a 500Mbps give a 60MBps transfert.
    And same error after ... if you see 20MBps (or 20Mo/s) your connection is 160Mbps (and not MBps)

16. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

Dec 6, 2014
    I mean, the chipset supports 5 GHz. 5 GHz isn't gonna change much other than speed, and 50 Mbps can be reached with DSL so it's all just so very illogical.

17. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Yeah, but still, only a minority of people in the world have an Internet speed above 50 Mbps. With 50 Mbps like you saw, I'm above 75% of French people, so :P And DSL is very unlikely to reach that speed, you must have nearly-perfect VDSL2 and live at less than 1 km (0.6 mi) to the nearset phone central :P

18. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Just a note about the fact that "mb" can't happen. Yes indeed, a millibit is not really possible. However when talking about speeds (like we are here), mb/s could mean something. More like m[b/s] than [mb]/s, so more like "a thousand times slower than b/s" rather than "sends fractions of bits" lol, but that's a situation where "milli" before "bit" makes sense.
    ...though yeah, who gives speeds in millibits per second?

19. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Netti Netti

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Noticing, aloof from it all
    MB/s or Mb/s?

20. I've yet to connect it online so not an issue for me at the moment.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted