Looking for some good RPGs to play

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by xwatchmanx, Apr 2, 2012.

Apr 2, 2012
  1. xwatchmanx
    OP

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    So, I'm looking for a good RPG to play on either (in preferred order) DS, GBA, SNES, or Genesis. I haven't been into RPGs much (with some notable exceptions) and I'm looking to change that. I've tried quite a few in the past few days, but either I've been trying some really bad ones, or I'm just hard to please, lol. Some information about my tastes...

I HATEHATEHATE random encounters with a passion. Random encounters are enough to make me swear off a game.

I prefer turn-based J-styled RPGs, but I'm open to action RPGs if the battle system is interesting enough, and not boring

RPGs I've played and liked
    -Chrono Trigger (favorite RPG of all time)
    -Mario and Luigi series
    -Paper Mario (sort of)
    -Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow (not that much in retrospect, cuz there's so much grinding)

RPGs I've tried and disliked
    -All the older Final Fantasies (VII and under). I've tried I, II, IV, and VII. The random encounters just irritated me (and VII underwhelmed me).
    -The World Ends With You (I normally am ok with touch controls, but these were just impossible)
    -Front Mission (I can't stand battlefield-style gameplay)
    -Suikoden Tierkreis (again, random encounters)
    -Phantasy Star 0 (the combat system irritated me to no end)

I'm currently TRYING to get into Sword of Mana, but it's not really working out. :(

So, any suggestions? I'm willing to try anything (even if it contradicts what I've said above) if you think it's really that good. Thanks in advance! :yaynds:

2. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    "turn based"
    "no random encounters"
    "DS, GBA, SNES, Genesis"

Wow. That took your list of possibilities to...pretty much what you have listed, haha.

I can think of Devil Survivor 1 and 2 for DS.
    Both are turn based strategy RPGs. They're both amazing and difficult.
    Well #2 isn't as bad, but people still have trouble with it *shrugs*

3 people like this.
  3. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    I was afraid of that. :( But honestly, the turn-based bit I can live without. The systems I chose are because I can either emulate them, or buy them cheap (DS). But I hate random encounters eternally. I'll check out your suggestions though, thanks! Also trying out Dragon Quest IX. Gonna see how that turns out

4. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    try Seiken Densetsu 3 instead (one of the best games on the snes)

5. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    Thanks man. I'll check it out.

6. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Hating random encounters with a passion... WOW that just killed a lot of your old RPG. BTW you didn't mention it... but I suppose you have played Super Mario RPG?

7. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    Yeah I know. Sad, isn't it? Yes I have played Super Mario RPG. Never finished it though. It was ok, but nothing compared to Mario & Luigi. I've been meaning to get back to playing it, though.

8. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    I will recommend Tales of Innocence for the DS with the English patch. It is a action rpg instead of turned based though but I can not remember if it has random encounters or not. Also if you have a 3DS then I would recommend Tales of the Abyss.

1 person likes this.
  9. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    I'd suggest Radiant Historia for DS.
    It's a really awesome game, no random encounters, several party members with different abilities, and a time-travel aspect. You make major decisions, that can end in good or bad ends. A decision in the beginning of the game separates the future into two distinct "histories." You can go between different points in the game, learn things in one history, then use them to advance in the other. It's very solid.
    Super Mario RPG (SNES) is also very neat.

3 people like this.
  10. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    I knew I could count on the temp. :D Really appreciate the suggestions, guys. I was afraid all I was gonna get were troll posts like "hurr durr, you're such a whiny brat, stop complaining and being so picky!" lol

1 person likes this.
  11. rdurbin

Member rdurbin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i know its not on a system you listed but you may want to try Final Fantasy XII on ps2 (there is a ds sequel, but I didnt like it) it does not have random encounters, there no transition between world map and battle screen. Battle kinda of reminds me of MMORPG games. you can set the computer controlled characters to pretty much whatever you want in battle with the gambit system, its pretty deep, you can even make the game pretty much play by it self in battles, but thats boring. The story of the game isnt really all that great but I enjoyed the game

12. OneUp

Member OneUp GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you find a game interesting enough that has random encounters, there are probably hacks somewhere to disable them...

13. gloweyjoey

Member gloweyjoey who??

United States
    I think you might like Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete. There are other installments, but these ones are superior.

14. Just Another Gamer

Member Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Australia
    Well your limitation of no random battles really limits what JRPGs you can get especially on the consoles you listed.

Although its on the PSP there are quite a few strategy RPGs you can get, I don't know if your interested so yea. There are also a PC JRPG that has little to no random encounters and all battles are part of the actual plot but its ummm...well...different.

15. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Grandia.

16. naglaro00

Member naglaro00 Mildly disturbed

Philippines
    FFVI

You seriously have to play FFVI.

17. leic7

Member leic7 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Thanks to your recommendation for Chrono Trigger a while back, I'm currently playing it. :) I think I should try returning the favour with a recommendation of my own: Metal Saga (DS)

Technically this game does not fit your criteria as it has the annoying random encounters, but I found enough redeeming aspects of the game that I made a cheat code to disable the random encounters so I could continue to play the game (I dislike random battles too).

Also, the game's in Japanese and Chinese only... If this is a problem please completely disregard what I just said!

If not, here's the Action Replay code I used:
    no random battle
    121EADE6 00000000
    62188054 00000000
    B2188054 00000000
    20000056 00000000
    D2000000 00000000

Regardless, I just want to say that I used to find random encounters a huge pain too; but nowadays they're not an issue anymore if I can use emulators, because cheat codes can make them go away. Have you considered that option? A lot of random encounters rely on some sort of 'counter' that either counts up or down, if you can find the address of such counter and disable it from counting, you effectively make the random encounters disappear.

18. gshock

Member gshock Advanced Member

Canada
    Have you played Terranigma for the SNES. Epic/RPG, battles are real time / not turn based. No random encounters.

Some other honorable mentions: Secret of Mana (SNES). Secret of Evermore (SNES). Earthbound/Mother series. Children of Mana (DS).

Otherwise I'd just up-vote Radiant Historia.

19. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Turn based RPGs from the GBA, SNES, and Genesis eras with no random encounters?

Well, there goes all the good RPGs my suggestions.

If you want suggestions on, like, good RPGs from the last 5 years then tag me in.

I guess I'll suggest Soma Bringer though since it's an ARPG.

1 person likes this.
  20. xwatchmanx
    OP

United States
    So far, both Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals and Radiant Historia have seriously dragged me in (thank God for flashcart "demos", lol). Both are such awesome examples of their respective RPG type! I think I'm gonna just buy Radiant Historia for now (if I can find it, I've heard it's rare for some reason actually check that, there are new copies on Amazon for $31), then Lufia, then try out a bunch of these others. Thanks guys!

Glad you like it! :) That's the first true JRPG that I played and really enjoyed after Pokemon left a sour taste in my mouth (I still like Pokemon RBY, but in retrospect it's dawned on me what a horribly designed RPG it is in so many aspects). I seriously was like "WHAT'S THIS? JRPGs can be GOOD???" lol