Looking for My Options [Rooting, Custom ROM, etc.]

Discussion in 'Android' started by TyBlood13, Aug 15, 2013.

1. TyBlood13
    OP

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    First off: If I'm not allowed to talk about Android ROMs I'm so sorry.

I'm looking at this phone here: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-victory-4G-LTE-phone/features/

And I'd like to know some things about it, like what ROMs it's compatible with, and which one is for me.

What I'm looking for in a ROM:
    Good multimedia support (.flac, .mkv, the works)
    Overclocking
    Themes

Also, I do have a few other questions:

Do I have to do anything to get my phone back on it's 3/4G network and/or wifi?
    What are the chances of bricking my phone?
    People have said in reviews of the phone that it only lets you put apps on the phone, not the sd. Can rooting/custom ROM fix that?

Thank you for your time helping me.:)

2. bobmcjr

bobmcjr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2013
    United States
    From what I can tell, there exists only one custom rom, even that is based on stock ( http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=758.0 )
    As for a media player, for videos I would just go with mx player. For audio, take your pick. Many 3rd party music players support flac. Also, check if the rom just supports flac out of the box. As even the sprint victory barely has any development, don't expect much for VM (including kernels, and themes require a rom like AOKP or CM). I'm just lucky to have AOKP for my VM S2.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    xda-developers is a good source of those things in general, and if there is no info on there about it it's likely that people are simply not too interested in it.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    You'll usually find info if you Google the device name and XDA if there is no dedicated section for it on xda-developers.

For videos, MX Player is probably your best bet. As of ICS I believe, Android supports FLAC out of the box so you should have no problems using the default music player. I, however, prefer Winamp mostly for its interface and its plugins (if you buy/pirate the full version). The equalizer is IMO better than DSP, and the album washer is helpful as well.

5. trigger_ftu

trigger_ftu The FantomPhox

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    Germany
    Xda is your number one place to go for Android info. Secondly I use vlc player and at times xbmc for full video playback support. As for FLAC and mp3 and etc I suggest winamp.

6. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    multi-media:
    mx player + what ever hw codec for you cpu (ARMv7 or neon) for videos
    poweramp for music

you shouldnt have to do anything special for it to work with your sim card and network again, your gonna have to research it though for your specific phone on xda to make sure

its pretty easy to brick your phone, just trying to root it could result in a brick if your not careful
    samsung phones require odin to flash anything to it, you also have to see if your bootloader is unlocked
    if you just get root access and your bootloader is already unlocked and you be a little safer and use goo.im to install a custom recovery

all roms since android 3.2 honeycomb dont allow you to install/move apps to the sd
    you can get around this but you need root access
    app2sd and titanium backup will move apps to the sd card

TyBlood13 likes this.
  7. kirbymaster101

kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 21, 2008
    Canada
    xda ftw. Best site ever for android phones. Currently running Pacman Rom 4.3 on my s3, loving it.

8. TyBlood13
    OP

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Thanks for your help guys! Also, I ended up not getting that phone. I got a Galaxy S3 instead!

9. kirbymaster101

kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 21, 2008
    Canada
    Highly recommened the Pacman ROM, and make sure to make a nandroid with TWRP and backup apps with Titanium Backup, before installing a new ROM.

I can never get .mkvs to play perfeclty but try BS player or MX player. Flac pretty much works with most of the media players, Poweramp I recommened. Nova or Apex Launcher for themes and customization.
    Never tried it but many programs like Titanium Backup and ROM Toolbox have an APP2SD converter thingy.

10. TyBlood13
    OP

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Gonna install CM9 beta for Virgin Mobile phones. Making mt backup of the stock ROM now

Or not. Realized it wasn't for SIIIs dammit.