Android Looking for My Options [Rooting, Custom ROM, etc.]

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off: If I'm not allowed to talk about Android ROMs I'm so sorry.

I'm looking at this phone here: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-victory-4G-LTE-phone/features/

And I'd like to know some things about it, like what ROMs it's compatible with, and which one is for me.

What I'm looking for in a ROM:
Good multimedia support (.flac, .mkv, the works)
Overclocking
Themes

Also, I do have a few other questions:

Do I have to do anything to get my phone back on it's 3/4G network and/or wifi?
What are the chances of bricking my phone?
People have said in reviews of the phone that it only lets you put apps on the phone, not the sd. Can rooting/custom ROM fix that?

Thank you for your time helping me.:)

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I can tell, there exists only one custom rom, even that is based on stock ( http://www.vmroms.com/index.php?topic=758.0 )
As for a media player, for videos I would just go with mx player. For audio, take your pick. Many 3rd party music players support flac. Also, check if the rom just supports flac out of the box. As even the sprint victory barely has any development, don't expect much for VM (including kernels, and themes require a rom like AOKP or CM). I'm just lucky to have AOKP for my VM S2.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
xda-developers is a good source of those things in general, and if there is no info on there about it it's likely that people are simply not too interested in it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You'll usually find info if you Google the device name and XDA if there is no dedicated section for it on xda-developers.

For videos, MX Player is probably your best bet. As of ICS I believe, Android supports FLAC out of the box so you should have no problems using the default music player. I, however, prefer Winamp mostly for its interface and its plugins (if you buy/pirate the full version). The equalizer is IMO better than DSP, and the album washer is helpful as well.

trigger_ftu

The FantomPhox
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xda is your number one place to go for Android info. Secondly I use vlc player and at times xbmc for full video playback support. As for FLAC and mp3 and etc I suggest winamp.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
multi-media:
mx player + what ever hw codec for you cpu (ARMv7 or neon) for videos
poweramp for music

you shouldnt have to do anything special for it to work with your sim card and network again, your gonna have to research it though for your specific phone on xda to make sure

its pretty easy to brick your phone, just trying to root it could result in a brick if your not careful
samsung phones require odin to flash anything to it, you also have to see if your bootloader is unlocked
if you just get root access and your bootloader is already unlocked and you be a little safer and use goo.im to install a custom recovery

all roms since android 3.2 honeycomb dont allow you to install/move apps to the sd
you can get around this but you need root access
app2sd and titanium backup will move apps to the sd card

Reactions: TyBlood13

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Highly recommened the Pacman ROM, and make sure to make a nandroid with TWRP and backup apps with Titanium Backup, before installing a new ROM.

I can never get .mkvs to play perfeclty but try BS player or MX player. Flac pretty much works with most of the media players, Poweramp I recommened. Nova or Apex Launcher for themes and customization.
Never tried it but many programs like Titanium Backup and ROM Toolbox have an APP2SD converter thingy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1