Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hiya,

I'm looking for a new game to play after finishing Radiant Historia yesterday. I've been through the DS essentials list but it's kind of hard to know if I'll like them or not. So you might be able to suggest me a new game by my previous game experience below.

I was thinking of a high focus on story and character development, rather than gameplay or graphics, preferably with some romance thrown in the mix. It doesn't have to be an RPG per se (Ghost Trick sure isn't).

Liked:
- Radiant Historia: liked the story and wanted to keep playing to see what would happen next
- Rune Factory 3: liked the immersive gameplay with the village npcs
- Rune Factory: I liked playing Harvest moon and with RPG elements added into it was a nice addition to it, doesn't even come close to RF3 though.
- Okamiden: Liked the story and gameplay. I also loved Okami on PS2.
- Ghost Trick: I finished this game in 2-3 days, I couldn't stop playing, it's an awesome game.
- Phoenix Wright series: Who doesn't like this
tongue.gif

Something in between like and no like:
- Golden Sun - Dark Dawn: don't know why I didn't like it more, I used to like playing Golden sun on GBA.
- Kingdom hearts 358/2 days: I liked KH and it was a long time ago that I played KH1 & 2, but didn't really stood out.
- Lost in Blue: I liked it at first, but after a while it became really tedious and didn't feel compelled to continue anymore.
- Final Fantasy VI: I played rather far into to the game, but for some reason I am unable to keep playing final fantasy games. There's always a point where I couldn't care for it anymore and stop playing it, in each game that I played of the series so far (which is FF4, FF6, FF7 and FF10)

Didn't like that much
- Kingdom hearts R3coded: same old over again
- Nostalgia: got bored of it rather quickly, story didn't really spoke to me in any way.

I'm looking into Avalon Code right now but I'm getting the same vibe as with Nostalgia. I'm about 5 hours into the game and while the gameplay is nice and it's an original concept, the story seems a bit .. lacking.

Hope this makes suggestions easier than a generic 'HAI GUYS, want new gaem to play!'.

Thanks in advance

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
1) Nanashi no Game - It's Japan-only, but it IS getting a 100% fan-translation and the patch will be released soon. The game's pretty short (I finished my first playthrough in around 4-6 hours), but it DOES have multiple endings and a New Game +. || Genre: Survival / Horror / Adventure || Trailer 1 / Trailer 2 || Translation Thread
2) Nanashi no Game Me - It's Japan-only, but there IS a possibility it'll get a 100% fan-translation once Nanashi no Game's fan-translation is released. I've never played it, so I can't tell you how long it is or if there are multiple endings or a New Game + option. || Genre: Survival / Horror / Platformer / Adventure || Trailer
3) The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road - Called RIZ-ZOAWD in Japan, if you recognize that. The game is moderately difficult, but I think it's balanced out with the interesting gameplay mechanics. I've never finished it, so I can't tell you how long it is or anything. || Genre: RPG || North American Trailer / Japanese Trailer
4) James Cameron's Avatar: The Game - It's pretty much like Zelda, except you're on Pandora and you play a Na'vi named Nok. It's still pretty fun, however. || Genre: Action / Adventure || Gameplay Video (there was no trailer)

That's all I can think of for now, but I know I'll come up with more later.

Yamcha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Looks like you missed the classics, huh?

Chrono Trigger (RPG) - One of the best games ever and I bet you already played it cause everybody has xD. Great time-travelling storyline and the characters are all lovable. If you did not play, it's exactly what you want.

Hotel Dusk (Point clik novel) - The story is mature and the game is challenging. Has a sequel launched only in Europe.

Dragon Quest IV, V & VI (RPG) - Yeah, Dragon Quest *-* Some of the best video game franchise and everybody likes.

Dragon Quest IX (RPG) - It's so much different than the others 3 DQ games in DS, much more customizable. While the Dragon Quest's above have a storyline much better, DQ IX will get you stuck cause of it's customizations. Altough, I am recommending it to you because it also have a good story. After all the customization you'll do in your characters and item-hunting, you get surprised in the end of the main story game. Have a lot of side quests and boss hunting (called Grottos) to obligate you to play more and more
biggrin.gif

Knights in the Nightmare (Real time strategy) - Have a sit to play this game calmly. Because it's a little hard to learn how to play, and the story is so good.

Those are the classics, the not so famous I can remember now are below.

Black Sigil (RPG) - A not so famous DS game, but I liked. Had graphics similar to Crhono Trigger and the story is good and original.

Front Mission (Turn-based strategy) - Another mature story in DS with nice gameplay but is extremely hardcore.

I'm looking for some good story driven games in DS too, so if I find some, I'll come back here o/

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seriously? no one has mentioned The world ends with you? Its fantastic, best story of any ds game Ive ever played it kept me guessing the whole time.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thrust said:
seriously? no one has mentioned The world ends with you? Its fantastic, best story of any ds game Ive ever played it kept me guessing the whole time.

I wouldn't say that at all. I really hated TWEWY.

People have been raving about 999 but I can't attest to it.

Otherwise I never found a whole lot of games to have good stories for the DS honestly. Minus FFIV, but the DS version is shit. You're better off with the PSP version or the GBA version.

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
custom robo's story seems pretty cut and dry to me but maybe I havent gotten to the good part yet? 999 is really fun, guild why'd you hate it?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Machomuu is right, Time Hollow is definitely worth your time. 999 is great as well, but it's more like a visual novel. The only thing you'll do is read with some pretty easy "escape the room" puzzles thrown in.
EDIT: I can't believe I forgot Professor Layton. If you like puzzles you MUST play them. Seriously. Make sure you start at Curious Village, though.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest I've found the DS games with the best stories are the adventure/mystery games, or at least not mediocre as the stories for DS RPGs tend to be.

My personal favourite is Hotel Dusk: Room 215. It had a fantastic film noir theme and the story ad pacing was excellent. Fantastic protagonist who pushes the game along. The sequel Last Window is more than worth playing as well though I found the story in Hotel Dusk to be more engrossing. From the same developers there's Trace Memory which whilst short had a decent story behind it, I say its worth playing through. 999 is very good, its batshit in a good way especially as it has multiple endings. You might like Ghost Trick, if memory serves me correct some people who worked on the Ace Attorney games were involved in the development and I thought it was pretty good. Time Hollow was pretty cool, like 999 batshit in a good way. I also recommend Broken Sword which is a port/remake/whatever of the PC classic if you haven't played it before .

For other choices you can download SCUMMVM and play the old school point and click adventures like Monkey Island. Or download VNDS and play Ever 17 which is from the same writer (I believe) of 999.

chaosdarkneo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Play 999.

Get a 3DS.

Wait patiently for Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die. (999's sequel)

I'm doing this. Just in the process of getting my 3DS. I'm gonna keep my DSL and get an Acekard to play on my 3DS, then hope the Crown3DS isn't a fob.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o