Looking for a (relatively) cheap capture card

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Thanatos Telos, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Thanatos Telos
    OP

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Well, I'm looking for an HD capture device for my 360 (HDMI) and other devices. I just want to know what's the cheapest option that still gives you 720p video. I don't mind if it's a pci-e card for my desktop either, all I care about is recording gameplay for my new youtube channel.

2. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Well, there's the Dazzle HD for $50, though, it only seems to record upscaled picture past 480p. It isn't an absolutely spectacular capture card, but it does what a person needs easily enough. On a budget, you'll be hard pressed to really get something good.

Otherwise, check out the Hauppauge HD PVR's. Not absolutely top of the line, but they spit out some great video and sound quality (my friend owns and uses a Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR all of the time). Most every model does seem to go for about $150 though, so, you know, that might be a deal breaker. Clearly my experience lies in outside devices more than the inner.

Just know that in terms of true HD, you'll have a hard time spending less than about $100, regardless of the type of capture card. Be wary of no-name cards that offer HD, but don't specify available inputs. That can be a red flag that they simply up scale and don't offer what most would consider to be acceptable HD quality. Also, for the love of all that is good, if shopping around on Newegg or something, read customer reviews. Some capture cards may come bundled with an absolutely awful recording software with no alternatives, while others may experience other ridiculous issues while having awful customer support.
    I guess the moral of the story is that if you buy an inexpensive capture card, either don't expect true HD, or risk running into a myriad of other issues.

Thanatos Telos likes this.
  3. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    HD PVR 2 is good one for $129.00
    records at 720p

4. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I always used a normal Dazzle.
    Worked perfectly.

Thanatos Telos likes this.
  5. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    i use a AverMedia Dark Crystal HD I got it used for about $70 but it uses composite cables

Here is a test video i did of fear 2 on my ps3
    the video is a bit dark but fear 2 has a dark atmosphere
    also i am still learning how to use Sony Vegas 9 so the video could look better

6. DarkShinigami

DarkShinigami #1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Soul Society
    dude the vids private.

7. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    sorry just fixed it

8. Thanatos Telos
    OP

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Seems like I'm going for the dazzle. Thanks, everyone.

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Aye good luck with it!