Hardware Looking for a (relatively) cheap capture card

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm looking for an HD capture device for my 360 (HDMI) and other devices. I just want to know what's the cheapest option that still gives you 720p video. I don't mind if it's a pci-e card for my desktop either, all I care about is recording gameplay for my new youtube channel.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, there's the Dazzle HD for $50, though, it only seems to record upscaled picture past 480p. It isn't an absolutely spectacular capture card, but it does what a person needs easily enough. On a budget, you'll be hard pressed to really get something good.

Otherwise, check out the Hauppauge HD PVR's. Not absolutely top of the line, but they spit out some great video and sound quality (my friend owns and uses a Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR all of the time). Most every model does seem to go for about $150 though, so, you know, that might be a deal breaker. Clearly my experience lies in outside devices more than the inner.

Just know that in terms of true HD, you'll have a hard time spending less than about $100, regardless of the type of capture card. Be wary of no-name cards that offer HD, but don't specify available inputs. That can be a red flag that they simply up scale and don't offer what most would consider to be acceptable HD quality. Also, for the love of all that is good, if shopping around on Newegg or something, read customer reviews. Some capture cards may come bundled with an absolutely awful recording software with no alternatives, while others may experience other ridiculous issues while having awful customer support.
I guess the moral of the story is that if you buy an inexpensive capture card, either don't expect true HD, or risk running into a myriad of other issues.

Reactions: Thanatos Telos

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i use a AverMedia Dark Crystal HD I got it used for about $70 but it uses composite cables

Here is a test video i did of fear 2 on my ps3
the video is a bit dark but fear 2 has a dark atmosphere
also i am still learning how to use Sony Vegas 9 so the video could look better

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use a AverMedia Dark Crystal HD I got it used for about $70 but it uses composite cables

Here is a test video i did of fear 2 on my ps3
the video is a bit dark but fear 2 has a dark atmosphere
also i am still learning how to use Sony Vegas 9 so the video could look better

dude the vids private.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...