Misc Local Area network over the internet, With DS

DoReiRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to play local area games over the internet with the ds?

Like how hamachi sets up a local private network over the internet, Is there any way to do this with the DS?

Example: Me and my friend want to play Mario Party, but it only supports other DS's that are near, and we live very far away so cant play otherwise.

Nevermind, Finnally found a post of what I was looking for, Cant be done
frown.gif
. Feel free to delete this.

GaciX 69

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Use Friend Codes, add your friend's code of his catridge to your Mario Party game and you can play online with just him. I don't remeber now if in Mario Party you can use Friend Codes, but since it's a WI-FI game I think that you can...

magic_marty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if this will work but if your connecting to the net using a wireless router you might try setting up a virtual server through your router ......just a thought , prolly wont work but might be worth a try

DoReiRei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I read, alot of the local area games dont work well with high pings so it would repeatly disconnect, making local area games online hard to do.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What you propose is called tunnelling (tunneling (US spelling) is preferred in some places although I am unsure if it is a technical term a la colorimetry (universal spelling) or not) and as you mention it was tried a few times but some were fake and others abandoned.

Three ways out of it as far as I see and none that you will be able to pull off with what you appear to know right now:
(external) hardware level repeating. Not especially complex (it is only 2Mbit after all) but costly and distance. I would probably look at modding a DS to do such a thing (similar to the early homebrew local play with 3 DS or something like the demos).

Hacking in wifi to the game, not such a bad idea as many games use a standardised fairly low level format from what I have seen (especially with the download play stuff: see the download station hacking for a loosely related example). It would be hundreds of times more complex than any hack that has presently been (seriously) attempted.

Emulator based. Essentially being what you want it may be possible to rig up something similar to VBAlink real (a long defunct fork of VBA that allowed you to play link games with a real GBA and your PC, now missing a lot of information such as the lead schematics from what I recall). This is similar to the tunnelling you mentioned although emulation rather than encapsulation presents a whole host of interesting technical questions and challenges. This is also hampered by a lack of gaming grade emulators for the DS (plenty of development and hacking grade ones but playing is a different matter).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1