Tutorial  Updated

Loading .NSP Backup Files with ReiNX

This guide assumes you have access to RCM, if you do not, use a compatible method. Some of those compatible methods can be found here.
This guide will transform your stock switch to play "backups" of switch games
1.) Installing ReiNX

• Download the latest stable ReiNX Release (Found here) (Extract this on to the root of your SD)
  • Make a new folder in the /ReiNX/ directory on your SD named 'titles'
  • Download hbmenu.nro (place this on the root of your SD)
  • Download this .zip file and extract it to /ReiNX/titles/
  • Download the latest stable release of Tinfoil(Found here)
  • Create a new folder on the SD's root named 'switch'
  • Place tinfoil.nro (found in the tinfoil zip) in the /switch/ directory
  • Make a new folder on the root of the SD named 'tinfoil' and inside this folder create another folder named 'nsp'
*From now on any NSP warez or homebrew you download should be placed in /tinfoil/nsp on the SD card.

2.) Booting into ReiNX
*Skip this step if you are familiar with booting into CFW
  • Use your method of choice to enter RCM
  • Push ReiNX.bin from the ReiNX.zip we downloaded earlier to your switch. (If you do not know what app to use to do this i reccomend TegraRCMGUI for Windows users.)
3.) Installing Games
  • Open the homebrew launcher by opening the Nintendo Switch Album
  • Open tinfoil
  • Choose Title Management>Install NSP>(Choose the NSP you would like to install)
Profit! Enjoy your "legally obtained backups" ;)

FAQ
:

- Can I delete .NSP files from my SD after they have been installed via tinfoil?
Yes you can.

- Will I get banned for going online?
Yes, you will most likely be banned from playing online with your switch. This in fact does not block updates though, and you can still access the eShop. (I strongly suggest you keep your switch in Airplane mode and de-link your NNID if you plan on using CFW to install a bunch of NSPs.)

- Can I install updates or DLC with this tool?
Not with tinfoil currently, you have to install devmenu to install DLCs and game updates. See here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/quick-g...ates-dlc-with-devmenu-no-sx-os-needed.512337/

- Can I convert .XCI to .NSP?
Yes. Use this.

- Do i have to use the album to launch into the homebrew launcher?
No. You can install this via tinfoil and launch the homebrew launcher as if it is an app if that pleases you.

- I wish i could backup my saves so that i don't lose them...
Download checkpoint.nro and use it to backup your saves/import saves from another switch.

- Can i install any homebrew to my main menu with this?
Pretty much. Check this out.

- How do i update ReiNX?
You can update it manually by downloading the latest release and extracting it to the root of your SD card, or use this updater homebrew application. (Recommended you use that homebrew to decrease hassle every time you want to update.)

Last edited by IHOP,

IHOP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another ban-related question, not totally understanding how it works, but if I go online with a game I own or just to eShop with a not-owned NSP installed, is it detected too? or only if I would go online with a not-owned game?
Don't want to try because too early for a ban and no other switch to sacrifice
eShop works even if you're banned. Going online with games you own is currently believed to be safe.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Another ban-related question, not totally understanding how it works, but if I go online with a game I own or just to eShop with a not-owned NSP installed, is it detected too? or only if I would go online with a not-owned game?

Nobody could answer that question, It would likely detect you have it installed I'd assume. The only way to find out is to try it! :rofl:

Will I get banned using devmenu? I only plan to install updates and DLC but will never go online.

You don't have to use devmenu with this, you use tinfoil which is someone's reiteration of devmenus capability to install NSP's (sorry don't know who made it). If you go online assume you'll be banned.

Tailsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't mean to be sound like a broken record or come off as dismissive, but it's far too early to say what will get you banned (or what might get you banned in the future). Obviously if you're really worried about it, don't run pirated software and try to keep your device offline as much as possible if you're going to mess with homebrew. I see people talk authoritatively about what is/isn't safe and I think it creates a false sense of security when it comes to the community's knowledge about Nintendo's policies. Check out the anecdotal ban reports and use your own judgement - you'll probably be better off than listening to someone that thinks they already have all of the answers.

Reactions: IHOP and Draxzelex

Alex4nder001

Part-time thug
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few questions:
1) It says installing .nsp files with tinfoil could get you banned. Will you be banned if you use devmenu instead?
2) If yes, would you be banned if you used layeredfs instead? (Trust me, it would be the last thing I would want to use because it's shit)
3) What about loading games in sx os?

Last edited by Alex4nder001,

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a few questions:
1) It says installing .nsp files with tinfoil could get you banned. Will you be banned if you use devmenu instead?
2) If yes, would you be banned if you used layeredfs instead? (Trust me, it would be the last thing I would want to use because it's shit)
3) What about loading games in sx os?
all 3 are possible

IHOP

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link in original post is broken. Says "File does not exist on this server."
OP has been updated to accommodate the zippyshare link being invalid. I also packed hbmenu.nro and tinfoil.nro into the zip to simplify things and save everyone a little bit of time. :)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP has been updated to accommodate the zippyshare link being invalid. I also packed hbmenu.nro and tinfoil.nro into the zip to simplify things and save everyone a little bit of time. :)
the download just takes you do a gbatemp page saying you dont have perms to view

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I got error "failed to parse XML! error code: 0xfffffff" when I try to install nap file.

Also when I try to put switch to sleep, it gave me error and I have to turn it off.

LeCru

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hello everybody!! Great guide, but maybe you can help me, I wanted to know what is the diference in using RomMenu that comes with the Reinx or Tinfoil. I got the Darth meteos with sig and i wanted to know if it's okay to use it.
thanks for the guide!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hi