Tutorial  Updated

Loading .NSP Backup Files with ReiNX

This guide assumes you have access to RCM, if you do not, use a compatible method. Some of those compatible methods can be found here.
This guide will transform your stock switch to play "backups" of switch games
1.) Installing ReiNX

• Download the latest stable ReiNX Release (Found here) (Extract this on to the root of your SD)
  • Make a new folder in the /ReiNX/ directory on your SD named 'titles'
  • Download hbmenu.nro (place this on the root of your SD)
  • Download this .zip file and extract it to /ReiNX/titles/
  • Download the latest stable release of Tinfoil(Found here)
  • Create a new folder on the SD's root named 'switch'
  • Place tinfoil.nro (found in the tinfoil zip) in the /switch/ directory
  • Make a new folder on the root of the SD named 'tinfoil' and inside this folder create another folder named 'nsp'
*From now on any NSP warez or homebrew you download should be placed in /tinfoil/nsp on the SD card.

2.) Booting into ReiNX
*Skip this step if you are familiar with booting into CFW
  • Use your method of choice to enter RCM
  • Push ReiNX.bin from the ReiNX.zip we downloaded earlier to your switch. (If you do not know what app to use to do this i reccomend TegraRCMGUI for Windows users.)
3.) Installing Games
  • Open the homebrew launcher by opening the Nintendo Switch Album
  • Open tinfoil
  • Choose Title Management>Install NSP>(Choose the NSP you would like to install)
Profit! Enjoy your "legally obtained backups" ;)

FAQ
:

- Can I delete .NSP files from my SD after they have been installed via tinfoil?
Yes you can.

- Will I get banned for going online?
Yes, you will most likely be banned from playing online with your switch. This in fact does not block updates though, and you can still access the eShop. (I strongly suggest you keep your switch in Airplane mode and de-link your NNID if you plan on using CFW to install a bunch of NSPs.)

- Can I install updates or DLC with this tool?
Not with tinfoil currently, you have to install devmenu to install DLCs and game updates. See here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/quick-g...ates-dlc-with-devmenu-no-sx-os-needed.512337/

- Can I convert .XCI to .NSP?
Yes. Use this.

- Do i have to use the album to launch into the homebrew launcher?
No. You can install this via tinfoil and launch the homebrew launcher as if it is an app if that pleases you.

- I wish i could backup my saves so that i don't lose them...
Download checkpoint.nro and use it to backup your saves/import saves from another switch.

- Can i install any homebrew to my main menu with this?
Pretty much. Check this out.

- How do i update ReiNX?
You can update it manually by downloading the latest release and extracting it to the root of your SD card, or use this updater homebrew application. (Recommended you use that homebrew to decrease hassle every time you want to update.)

Last edited by IHOP,

Tailsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do they even check this?

Someone get Shiggy on the line!

Seriously though, your guess is as good as anyone else's at this point. It's probably better to just accept that a ban is possible if your console is connecting to Nintendo servers with any of these mods present. Then not getting banned can be a pleasant surprise!

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Someone get Shiggy on the line!

Seriously though, your guess is as good as anyone else's at this point. It's probably better to just accept that a ban is possible if your console is connecting to Nintendo servers with any of these mods present. Then not getting banned can be a pleasant surprise!

Yeah, My guess is that Nintendo still have not learned too much about network and security to know how to handle this situation, but I could be wrong.
My 3DS is still not banned after all the abuse I put it through :D

jobu01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AutoRCM still has many issues. A much safer way is to just use a thin piece of tinfoil to bridge pins 9 and 10 on the joycon itself, it's what i personally use

The thing with using foil is it can tear and small scraps can short things with power and cause damage.

Reactions: Albytrozz

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The thing with using foil is it can tear and small scraps can short things with power and cause damage.

Which is why you make it thick enough to not be able to tear easily. And if you're gentle when sliding the joycon in it should be fine, i've been using it for a while now, no tears whatsoever

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which is why you make it thick enough to not be able to tear easily. And if you're gentle when sliding the joycon in it should be fine, i've been using it for a while now, no tears whatsoever

I use a foil Wendy's burger wrapper to put mine into RCM, I find the mustard helps the connection. 3D jigs are pointless, especially with how much safer and easier they are to use because you will need to be using it very often if you plan on doing anything with the Switch.

Also can someone tell me if Tinfoil works with OS version 0.0021?? It's basically 'Hello World!' in Japanese but I don't want to upgrade for some unexplained and illogical reason, I just want to have to take 50 more steps whenever I try anything on my Switch and ask on every single thread if my ancient firmware that I'm still clinging to is supported... K THX!! :mthr:

Last edited by Albytrozz,

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I use a foil Wendy's burger wrapper to put mine into RCM, I find the mustard helps the connection. 3D jigs are pointless, especially with how much safer and easier they are to use because you will need to be using it very often if you plan on doing anything with the Switch.

Also can someone tell me if Tinfoil works with OS version 0.0021?? It's basically 'Hello World!' in Japanese but I don't want to upgrade for some unexplained and illogical reason, I just want to have to take 50 more steps whenever I try anything on my Switch and check on every thread if my ancient firmware that I'm clinging to is supported... K THX!! :mthr:

Not even funny...

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Also can someone tell me if Tinfoil works with OS version 0.0021?? It's basically 'Hello World!' in Japanese but I don't want to upgrade for some unexplained and illogical reason, I just want to have to take 50 more steps whenever I try anything on my Switch and ask on every single thread if my ancient firmware that I'm still clinging to is supported... K THX!! :mthr:

Hey now, I was hoping for some easier way to boot into CFW. Giving up at this point though just going to update burning a fuse, I can't be bothered following a lengthy tutorial to avoid it for something that could be months, years away.

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey now, I was hoping for some easier way to boot into CFW. Giving up at this point though just going to update burning a fuse, I can't be bothered following a lengthy tutorial to avoid it for something that could be months, years away.

I was being an idiot if it wasn't clear... it wasn't aimed at anyone, I apologize....

Reactions: Ian095

nyder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, it's nice to see we have other options.

Too bad running nsp files gets your system banned.

BryanNigson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks a ton, really easy took a while to get nsps they're on kinda crap sites having to wade through ads and captchas but it works :)

tbagg1ns

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, My guess is that Nintendo still have not learned too much about network and security to know how to handle this situation, but I could be wrong.
My 3DS is still not banned after all the abuse I put it through :D

iirc Nintendo only got real with 3ds bans when people went online with unreleased leaked games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Also another 70TB going in the front mount drive bays of this server. 182tb raw, going to...