Loaded a game in Wiiflow after a year, now it sends me back to Home :(

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by cloudfe, Aug 3, 2016.

1. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    I started playing Xenoblade Chronicles last summer, and never finished it. Now I'd like to finish what I started, but the vWii is not collaborating.
    I haven't booted the vWii in a year (but played plenty and updated the WiiU), so I'm sure I touched nothing since the last time the game worked.
    I tried reinstalling Wiiflow, reinstalling d2x-v10-beta52, forcing the cIOS to load, changed settings here and there, to not avail. Wiiflow sees the game on the USB without problems (as it always did), but now it sends me to Home Screen every time I load it.

I really don't know what to do, could someone help?

2. greenlanternx

greenlanternx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Chile
    maybe the file is corrupted, try a checksum, or redownload it

what's about other games?

3. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    I've now tried reinstalling the backup I used last summer, and the result is the same. I'll try downloading a backup tonight and see what happens with it. I'll also try with another game.

But I noticed one thing: while copying the game on the usb, I launched Wiiflow and the game still showed up (with no USB inserted in the WiiU). I tried launching it and it took me back to Home as usual. Then I deleted the game from Wiiflow and also the cache before trying with the original file once again (of course it didn't work).

What I'm more worried about is that even after re-hacking the vWii from scratch I'll still experience the exact same problem (as other people in the forum in my same circumstances...).

4. greenlanternx

greenlanternx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 16, 2012
    Chile
    weird.... you have other SD? install a fresh copy of wiiflow

5. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Ok, this is getting very weird.
    I realised now WiiFlow won't actually find the games on the USB. After deleting the game from WiiFlow and reset the cache, it will keep asking me for a partition. And I haven't touched the vWii nor that usb since last August...

After reinstalling d2x-v10-beta53 and IOS236, I tried using a WD external-powered HDD (Elements), and put Xenoblade and another game in it. What happens is that WiiFlow finds the two games no problem but sends me back to Home, while USBLoader and CFG won't even find the games.

I'm starting to lose my mind here :(

EDIT: I'm using Wii Backup Manager to put the games in it, they're in WBFS format. The drive is in NTFS (like my usb stick when I used it last year).

Last edited by cloudfe, Aug 4, 2016
  6. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    I've considered re-hacking the vWii from scratch, but two things stop me:
    1) I don't have the exploit game anymore;
    2) I've already reinstalled the cIOS following the vWii guide, so I don't see what I could do differently reinstalling the Homebrew Channel.

So what should I do to "restart" the modding process other than what I already did?

7. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    Maybe try using usbloader gx? That's what I use and everything is flawless

I no its not the answer your looking for but if it DOES work on gx then at least we know the problem is wiiflow

8. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    As I previously wrote, I tried USB Loader GX but it doesn't find the HDD :(

9. masenko

masenko Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 24, 2007
    Nottingham, England
    i had this exact problem and what finally fixed it was windows scan disk. it found some errors and fixed them. you could try that

10. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    This is shooting in the dark but may help you. On my Wii (not Wii U) I tend to connect the HDD to the wrong USB port at times. Wiiflow somehow sees the game when it's in the wrong port, but doesn't boot it, just returns to home.
    In other words, connect that USB HDD to the other port and try launching the game again. Maybe it will work now.

EDIT: Also, you say it's NTFS, that may also be an issue. It was a while ago that I hacked my Wii, but I remember that every guide said it has to be FAT32. Maybe NTFS is now supported, maybe not, but if swapping ports doesn't work, try FAT32.

Last edited by PewnyPL, Aug 4, 2016
    cloudfe likes this.
  11. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    Isn't IOS58 needed to have USB 2.0 access ?

12. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    It sure is needed

13. cloudfe
    OP

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Pewny, I would give you my only goat if I had one! Changing ports worked!!
    It kinda make sense, because this would be coherent with the fact I haven't touched the console nor the usb stick in a year (I must have forgot I used to use the other port).
    What I don't understand is why this works. Every guide dictate the use of the port closer to the edge...

Well, let's hope it doesn't mysteriously stop working now (I already relaunched the game three times to be sure).

Thank you everyone for helping me, and thank you PewnyPL for your sniper-level shot in the dark!!

14. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    Well if usbloader gx can't find your drive then your either not using a y cable (which is needed for vwii) or you have it plugged in wrong

Also I would use fat32 and convert the games to wbfs

If none of these work then I don't know

Edit; ninjad glad it's fixed

CJB100 likes this.
  15. PewnyPL

PewnyPL GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2014
    Poland
    I remember reading that the ports on Wii U are the other way around for vWii, so if a Wii guide says of one port, on Wii U it would be the other. But I'm not sure.
    Either way, glad it works now.