Hacking Literally 1 guy get banned and...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it paranoia if they are out to get you?
Equally it is an indication that Nintendo's approach to such matters has changed compared to their lax position of years past.

And what does worrying about accomplish, exactly? It's paranoia if people are so worried about hacking they are experiencing paralytic fear that Nintendo will hack every console, then yes.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If previously you could have been less concerned (and given there was next to nothing for the GC, DS, DSi, Wii, Wii U and 3ds, all the while the PC, Microsoft and Sony were doing proper security, even Android and IOS peeps have security with more teeth at times then it speaks to a general company philosophy) then if you wish to maybe retain online it pays to be concerned about what you are doing. New hacks are traditionally also the hardest time for this sort of thing (there being a difference between it booting unsigned code and the hackers rooting out every check and trap Nintendo's security laid for them) so it makes sense to spread the word.
Whether it will end up with fairly easy online access I don't know but if you are banned out of the gate then you face an even harder time getting online should things eventually get sorted.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood the "stay offline to not get banned" philosophy. At that point your just banning yourself.
If you try to keep it offline while using hacks then I can understand, but keeping outcome always means you might as well just be banned

Then what do you suggest? Hack your console, and your console gets banned.

D

Deleted User

massive banwave on the 3ds, nobody bats an eye, 2 people get banned on the switch "OH MY GOD IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD" and it's all over the news

Reactions: Don Jon

Mythrandir

Life-long Learner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Staying offline all the time is no different than being banned.
This is not true. It appears a ban still allows for downloading software updates hosted by Nintendo. Staying offline does not allow this behavior. An offline console actually has greater restrictions than an online banned console.

I do recognise the sentiment though.

My response was to the implication that Nintendo would have reason to ban offline consoles. Though, just the slightest amount of consideration would lead to the conclusion that all offline consoles appear identical to Nintendo. Their hacked status is undetermined.

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The save file editing kind of pissed me off. I was going to buy Splatoon but now I feel like it's as useless as MK8 on Wii U. Why bother playing when a 7 year old just hacks in super gear or uses infinite blue shells. I've hacked every console I could, but it just feels too early to have everything get ruined
It's not that bad. It's not bad at all. It's not hacks like "kill everyone" or "paint the whole map to your color" or "infinite specials". It's just stats, gear and weapons, which don't provide a major competitive advantage.

carlito1095t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good. Nintendo should ban everyone who has hacked their Switch, even if for offline use.

But seriously, why are you here and why are you wasting your time on something you have no interest in?
Time is a precious thing ya know? Waste it on topics you like rather than hate.

Last edited by carlito1095t,
Reactions: the_randomizer

Ewpb

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh no, being banned from Nintendo's lackluster online infrastructure, oh the horror :rolleyes::lol:

The way you complained about the RetroArch sound driver on the Wii port makes it clear that nothing will ever be good enough for you.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But seriously, why are you here and why are you wasting your time on something you have no interest in?

It’s his opinion.

Leave your late nineties style trolling at the door.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
massive banwave on the 3ds, nobody bats an eye, 2 people get banned on the switch "OH MY GOD IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD" and it's all over the news

We must have been looking at very different threads and news posts at the time.

Is it not a valid response/position? I am still baffled at why people are taking such exception to that post (see also https://gbatemp.net/threads/literally-1-guy-get-banned-and.504978/page-6#post-8003436 ).

carlito1095t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way you complained about the RetroArch sound driver on the Wii port makes it clear that nothing will ever be good enough for you.

It’s his opinion.

With that response to the_randomizer , you should be telling yourself what you said to me. Don't be a hypocrite.

Reactions: Don Jon

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It’s his opinion.

Gimme a freaking break, that was years ago, dude, get the hell over it already and quit digging up the past FFS. If you can't grow up and get over what happened in the past, fine but that's on you.
Real mature digging up the skeletons of the past, that's an effective way to converse. If you insist on digging up the past and grasping at straws, then piss off.

He probably doesn't even have a Nintendo console, his opinions are invalid, just like the guy who tried to call me out on a past action, what a whiner.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Reactions: carlito1095t

carlito1095t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We must have been looking at very different threads and news posts at the time.

Is it not a valid response/position? I am still baffled at why people are taking such exception to that post (see also https://gbatemp.net/threads/literally-1-guy-get-banned-and.504978/page-6#post-8003436 ).

It is their opinion. Albiet a super unpopular one in these parts, especially in a discussion category they seem to disagree on as a whole. But a valid position nonetheless.

It's also probably the way they just posted it really bluntly in the first page of the thread. Because how they phrased it could be taken out of context.

It could mean: Nintendo bricking your Switch.
Or it could mean: Nintendo banning you for hacking it for offline use. Which, like you yourself stated, is what they meant and I still don't agree with it.
Like why would they want Nintendo banning us for hacking it exclusively for offline use? How would it benefit them at all?
One less hacked Switch? Ninty observing their right to do so? To make hacking better in order to counter it? Less piracy? Because they just hate hackers in general? I get the cheating aspect and I am against online cheating, but it's offline and it makes that argument rather moot.

Yeah they have the right to express that opinion and it is a valid position, but they really should elaborate as to why so we can get a clearer picture. Otherwise it is a waste of time to just post it here and run without any elaboration. This is a forum after all.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
All in all, I can understand Nintendo's need to dissuade users from hacking their systems to the point that they have to resort to bans, but some of us who don't pirate or cheat and just want to have fun with the homebrew side of things get caught in the crossfire.

I know it's within their right to ban you on the ground of breaking their ToS, but that feels like a petty excuse when the only thing you've done "wrong" is hack your console. Online cheating and pirating games is a more legitimate reason than that. Even the last 3DS banwave felt (semi-)justified because for all intents and purposes, the 3DS devs had obliterated their security. All they could do at that point is ban people. Still felt petty though.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Like why would they want Nintendo banning us for hacking it exclusively for offline use? How would it benefit them at all? "
Benefit the poster under discussion or Nintendo? Nintendo is fairly obvious (they theoretically sell more carts). The poster? None but then neither does having them online from where I sit. Any negatives for the poster seem largely in the esoteric and improbable sides of things.

As for bricking I will give them the benefit of the doubt here, both in general and because it is rather illegal for Nintendo to do.

I don't understand why it is so very unpopular either. Sadly the word entitlement seems to have been mis/overused to the point of brokenness but I would use it here if people think they should be allowed a hacked offline device to work online. I would probably go with a variation on "you are owed nothing in this world but if you can take it/make it work then more power to you", and of course "if you hack then any online you have is nowt but a nice temporary perk" is still in play.

I would be happy to see an elaboration too, however I am still not sure why there are all the flames in the meantime.

Reactions: DeletedMember411838

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1