Hacking Literally 1 guy get banned and...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good. Nintendo should ban everyone who has hacked their Switch, even if for offline use.

Oh dear, who pissed in your cereal this morning? Go preach somewhere else, kid and grow up.

Last edited by the_randomizer,
D

DeletedMember411838

even if its for offline use

why?

If its for offline use then why would you care if the console gets banned? The ban just means you cant play online, they are not bricking your system, it still works you still get updates.

Im all for Hacking, I also dont like cheating online games, so honestly I feel that isnt a hard choice. Want to hack, cool no online ever, want Online, cool stay stock. Its really the only way that both sides can coexist, as a few jerks ruin it for everyone. I practice what I preach and own 2 consoles.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

2 bans and the community's going fucking AWOL. Maybe ninty realised that devs were using those specific Switches?

3 People, 4 consoles. Just FYI, Shiny said his friend got banned too. Shinys friend and Scires were both using CDN, I am sure Shiny was too, he says he didn't. He also said the second console was never modded, then later he says well it ran Homebrew for a short time, he is a liar. He probably forgot about that time he CDNed with his account, just like how he forgot the other Switch did have Homebrew at one point.

But HOW? Aren't all variables like that server sided? Aka you can't hack them because they aren't client-sided / controlled by client, trying to edit them won't do anything because the server has the actual value and doesn't even consider the clients value at all. Is nintendo cheaping out on online or something? How do they not have every important variable server sided? (Like kart speed and blue shells amount for example)

If that's the case, then you shouldn't be mad at hackers, because based on the situation of nintendo not providing for you, it looks like it's up to us to give you the experience you want! (with having true dedicated servers with all important game variables being server sided so they can't be altered/hacked)

Okay so then you know the difference between a client-sided variable and a server sided one. You know then that in CS you can't hack your health, or your weapons or ammo amount, the only thing that can be done is things the client has control of like aim assistance or wall hacking, etc... So how do you reconcile with the fact that nintendo doesn't properly server side their game variables? (as Logan has expressed)

Idk I've never played a switch or wii u game online, but from my CS playing days and from basically any online game I've ever played that server sided variables are a given, why wouldn't nintendo do that, unless they're trying to piss you guys off intentionally? Doesn't make sense to me!

P.S. I only cheat in offline single player games when I feel like it, throw up the memory editor+debugger and get down and dirty with some asm, but I never cheat in online games simply because it ruins the experience of others as Logan as re-iterated and many many others definitely agree, and because I don't need to. I'm from the other end of the spectrum, I am (or was, probably still am, haven't played in a while) so good at CS that I would constantly get accused of hacking and get kicked or banned for being too good! Lol the problems of a good CS player, gets banned for being too good, assumed cheating when I know for a fact that I clearly wasn't! But lamers that sucked wouldn't even take the time to actually confirm cheating and just make the assumption because they sucked so much lol. Making an ass out of umption they would! So I can definitely sympathize with people hating online hackers, because even good players get the brunt of what they've caused by when people are actually good, they even get assumed as cheaters as well.

You do of course realize that ALL switch games are P2P right? Not even all switch, All Nintendo games, this isnt Steam or an MMO, its all P2P. There is no servers, so there is no server side anything, theres no servers lol. Hopefully the paid online will fix that, I am doubtful though.

Daily reminder that Scires is making Atmosphere because he wants the ability to dump his save from the Pokemon Switch game then make some hacked Pokemon within said save which I wholeheartedly support. Not because I want to make a Wonder Guard Sableye, but the time required to make a perfect natured, perfect ability pokemon is too much, although possible.

Easy Solution, Then dont play? Sorry but there is simply no excuse for cheating, you think Pokemon is bad, go play a HC MMO, cry me a river "It takes too long" then dont play the game. Maybe Pokken would be more your speed. Like seriously I think its pathetic seeing all the cheaters, say it takes too long ugggghhh. You guys got some issues man, instant gratification is very apparent, never ever step into a HC PVP MMO, if you think Pokemon is bad, lol.

I have spent weeks on end, grinding my PVP gear in WoW, just to watch it become irrelevant a month later, to do it again. And WoW is like the least HC MMO I have ever played lol.

Last edited by ,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would Nintendo detect the hacked console if it never communicates with Nintendo's servers?
Don't waste your time debating with anti hackers they label all save dumpers as online cheaters all the same even if we are offline. Bias group with no intention to hear the other side of the coin.
They can openly express what they want, but blind ignorance can only go so far I'd say. If online cheating results a ban then there's really nothing to worry about....

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey you! That's right, you! Reading this now! I bet you're one of those people who doesn't want to click on the link and read a shit-tier article defaming Shiny Quagsire!
Lucky for you, Darth Meteos is- wait what? This isn't the original post. Why is there a second thread on this? I'm not participating in this! You're on your own.

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How is it possible for Ninty to find out if someone has hacked his console..

My question is can Nintendo detect you've got a hacked console the moment you go online or connect to WiFi? Or can they only detect this the moment you are caught cheating online?

Last edited by Manny-,

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, a better question.

how many of you guys here whom have hacked their switch, have had their accounts banned after playing online?

I really want to hack my switch to play emulators but also to enjoy the online experience at the same time (without cheating), and was wondering if it's possible?

Last edited by Manny-,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How is it possible for Ninty to find out if someone has hacked his console, if he doesn't cheat on the online for example? I mean surely they won't be able to tell that you have a hacked system if you don't cheat online? I guess my question is can they detect you've you've got a hacked console the moment you go online or connect to WiFi, Or can they only detect this if caught hacking?
Two main approaches I imagine happened here.

Security is not an unknown concept and not one you can only react to. Even if there are no hacks yet you can brace for it and include a whole host of checks of obvious things a hacker would fiddle with in your kernel ahead of time, and as most hackers will first focus on defeating the checks to get things to run rather than the checks on checks (on checks...) you will likely catch a few that way. Said checks don't have to lead to a locked up system and a big screen saying "nice try cunt", instead just note it down and send it some point in the future -- that way the hacker thinks they have got in and are doing but instead are detected.

If this is related to a CDN (content distribution network, basically what Nintendo uses to serve up files for downloading) then there are only Switches that should be using it and they all interact in a certain way that Nintendo would know (they programmed it after all). If the one banned did not interact in the proper way (it could even be something as simple as order of handshake, though more likely was something like failing to send the proper certificates or reusing invalid ones) then going through their logs they could flag the anomaly. Investigate that and find things from the same IP/device/account/whatever and then we have this.

Reactions: Draxzelex

Vithimiris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have a much better time hacking a PS4 than hacking your Switch. Like are people forgetting Nintendo went after YTers who were using game content, ya know, the stuff that PROMOTES Nintendo. This is the same company who's trying to sell you Cardboard @ $70-80 USD. Come on now.

Reactions: Manny-

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Two main approaches I imagine happened here.

Security is not an unknown concept and not one you can only react to. Even if there are no hacks yet you can brace for it and include a whole host of checks of obvious things a hacker would fiddle with in your kernel ahead of time, and as most hackers will first focus on defeating the checks to get things to run rather than the checks on checks (on checks...) you will likely catch a few that way. Said checks don't have to lead to a locked up system and a big screen saying "nice try cunt", instead just note it down and send it some point in the future -- that way the hacker thinks they have got in and are doing but instead are detected.

If this is related to a CDN (content distribution network, basically what Nintendo uses to serve up files for downloading) then there are only Switches that should be using it and they all interact in a certain way that Nintendo would know (they programmed it after all). If the one banned did not interact in the proper way (it could even be something as simple as order of handshake, though more likely was something like failing to send the proper certificates or reusing invalid ones) then going through their logs they could flag the anomaly. Investigate that and find things from the same IP/device/account/whatever and then we have this.

Damn, so there definitely is a big risk to hacking the switch even if you do intend to play by the rules online..

Vithimiris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, so there definitely is a big risk to hacking the switch even if you do intend to play by the rules online..

That goes for any system/game. You are breaking their ToS. It's not surprising that people get banned. Thank god I didn't buy a Switch. A $300 Brick would be even worse if Nintendo decided to brick people's stuff.

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn it, Nintendo, why the hell don't you just make purchaseable GBA games or even a fricking emulator software which you can purchase and also then purchase the ROMs if you're too lazy to port, so people would stop hacking

If they did this, I'd throw all my money at them if they did this

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is always a risk to hacking any device for use online -- go back to the pre internet days when people were using dial up to play MUDs (multi user dungeons, think roguelikes but with multiple users) and you will find people banned for fiddling with the system.

Nintendo however have been massively lax for the last 15 or so years (November 2003 saw Gamecube Phantasy Star and also some Mario Kart stuff if you knew what you were doing, I know technically there was stuff on the SNES but eh) and however many devices that encompassed. Others were better (Microsoft have done fairly well at this since the original xbox for instance, this video covers a 360 event but I find it enjoyable and it still covers some of the things they do) which is why some around here find it amusing that people are panicking a bit.

"You hack, you forfeit official online, maybe not at first and maybe you will get a bit of it before you are booted but it will come" is the only way to play in hacking circles, always has been, always will be.

Reactions: Manny-

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That goes for any system/game. You are breaking their ToS. It's not surprising that people get banned. Thank god I didn't buy a Switch. A $300 Brick would be even worse if Nintendo decided to brick people's stuff.

On a real quick different note: I think you really are missing out on the switch then. I mean if you didn't buy a switch purely for that reason, that you can't enjoy hacking it, I can say you are missing out on some of the amazing experience of the line-up of games they have released so far

There is always a risk to hacking any device for use online -- go back to the pre internet days when people were using dial up to play MUDs (multi user dungeons, think roguelikes but with multiple users) and you will find people banned for fiddling with the system.

Nintendo however have been massively lax for the last 15 or so years (November 2003 saw Gamecube Phantasy Star and also some Mario Kart stuff if you knew what you were doing, I know technically there was stuff on the SNES but eh) and however many devices that encompassed. Others were better (Microsoft have done fairly well at this since the original xbox for instance, this video covers a 360 event but I find it enjoyable and it still covers some of the things they do) which is why some around here find it amusing that people are panicking a bit.

"You hack, you forfeit official online, maybe not at first and maybe you will get a bit of it before you are booted but it will come" is the only way to play in hacking circles, always has been, always will be.

To be honest, I really like the switch the way it is (just simply wanted emulation too but no big deal) and this comment just shows to me it's absolutely NOT worth the risk right now, the online experience is good so far and will only get better in time after this E3 imo, so thanks for your responses but I'd rather not take the risk.

Vithimiris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a real quick different note: I think you really are missing out on the switch then. I mean if you didn't buy a switch purely for that reason, that you can't enjoy hacking it, I can say you are missing out on some of the amazing experience of the line-up of games they have released so far

I've never enjoyed Nintendo as a company. Their games are too cut and dry for my taste. It's always Mario Mario Mario, Zelda Zelda Zelda, or some weird and quirky game that I don't care for, the only game I cared about was Splatoon 2. Which I played and beat. I mainly play PC games. (I'm not a PC elitist) it's just my preferred way of playing. I get Nintendo's breakthrough for portability. I just can't be arsed to cough up $300 for only 3-4 hours of game time off of it's stand.

Manny-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thankyou for your responses everyone.

I'll just continue to enjoy the line-up so far and will wait for Pokémon and Minecraft Cross Platform to come to the switch and who knows maybe I shall return to GBATemp in the future! ;)

Peace!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems like the people most worried about being banned are not the people in the community (aside from those who don't care about online), but people coming out of the woodwork once those reports of Shiny and Scires getting banned. While any unauthorized modifications to your system CAN warrant a ban, I feel like some people are interpreting this to be a greater risk than it actually is. A lot of us have been hacking and going online for years now without one ban on our chests. True, the Switch seems to indicate that Nintendo has learned from their past mistakes and there aren't really any widespread hacks that everyone is utilizing that would necessitate a banwave. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its better being safe than sorry makes you miss out on all the cool things you can do with a hacked console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte